Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Bought a Troy-bilt at Lowes, thinking of returning it.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nursedaddy

Bought a Troy-bilt at Lowes, thinking of returning it.
Original Message   Oct 26, 2005 7:45 pm
Hi all,
I'm on a corner property, 150' worth of sidewalk, and a 3 car driveway that routinely gets plowed in by the sadistic town worker that rides by smiling as he takes 3 blocks worth of snow and leaves it along my driveway. This has been happening for 12 years, and no amount of complaining seems to stop them, so now I'm determined not want to shovel anymore. I was at Lowes buying a new shop-vac (the 8" of water I had in my basement from 8 days of rain is another story). Somehow I bought a 5.5 HP Troy-bilt (MTD makes it) at Lowes for $599. It was an impulse buy. I was going to get the big 8HP unit for 799, but I'm also on a budget.

I'm wondering if I ought to return the Troy-bilt and get something else. For $100 bucks more I can get the same machine with the Yardman name on it and an 8HP motor. They both have the Tec motors in them.

I'm also thinking about going with a single stage (maybe spend a 50 bucks more than I have already and get a Honda single stage), since I'm on Long Island and we tend to get 6-8" at a time, only occassionally do we get a foot or more. But I keep thinking about that plow driver, and the big hunks of packed snow I always have to get out of my driveway.

I dont know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Dave

Craftsman 88799

Re: Bought a Troy-bilt at Lowes, thinking of returning it.
Reply #1   Oct 26, 2005 11:53 pm
Hi, for the money your talking about I would consider the Honda single stage or Toro 3650 single stage. These are both great machines. If you go with a 2 stage, 5.5HP is not enough... look for something around 8HP. Let us know what you decide on!
nursedaddy

Re: Bought a Troy-bilt at Lowes, thinking of returning it.
Reply #2   Oct 27, 2005 4:47 pm
Well, I went to a Toro dealer that's a few blocks from my house to look at the snowblowers. I still have the Troy-bilt in my garage and a little while left on the return policy... good way to keep me from buying another impulsively... gotta return one first. Anyways, I'm thinking about getting the Toro 826 LE. The dealer sells it for $999. A bit rich for me right now, but I don't think I want to keep the $599 Troy-bilt if it's not built well, and if I'm going to buy, I might as well buy something that will last me a while. The Toro 826 LE seems like it'll fit the bill, but can it be had for less than $999? Does HD really sell this unit? I've seem some references to that fact elsewhere on the boards, but I dont recall seeing it when I was there the other day... all they had was single stage Toros and Hondas, and some Yardman singles and doubles. I really want to patronize a local buisness if I can, but if I can get it for a price that's low enough I'll go to a big store. I asked the owner of my local shop if there's any dealing, and she said that $999 was as low as it was going to go with her. Even for cash. Hmmm.

Or should I go back to Lowes and look at the husky 10.5 for $1000?

I'm obsessing about snowblowers every waking moment now. There's something wrong with me I think.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42