Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and L-Head vs. Tecumseh OHV vs Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV - Yow!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bfguilford

Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and L-Head vs. Tecumseh OHV vs Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV - Yow!
Original Message   Oct 25, 2005 9:23 pm
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere from 0-6 storms (6-12 inches) plus some smaller snowfalls per winter (and this winter is predicted to be on the high side). My driveway is around 150 feet (single wide with a slight incline for 100 ft and double wide plus and flat for 50). It is mostly paved except for a 10x20 patch in front of one of the garage doors (the one that I would likely store the snowblower in).

My budget is $1,000. So far, I am considering four snowblowers:

1. Ariens 7524E ($760), 24 inch with a 7.5HP Tecumseh OHV.
2. Toro 826LE ($899), 26 inch with an 8HP Tecumseh L-Head.
3. Ariens 926LE ($999), 26 inch with a 9HP Tecumseh L-Head.
4. Simplicity 8560E ($999), 24 inch with an 8.5HP Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV.

What would you recommend (and why)? Thanks.
Replies: 2 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Dave

Craftsman 88799

Re: Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and L-Head vs. Tecumseh OHV vs Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV - Yow!
Reply #2   Oct 26, 2005 10:51 pm
I would look at a snowblower with the OHV engine. These are all good machines that you are considering, but OHV is the future and L-head will soon be phased out. Also look at the other features, such as the easy steering feature that OC mentioned. I would lean toward the Ariens 7524E, The 7.5HP is adequate power for most situations and the machine is light enough to turn and manuver easily. The Ariens 2 turn crank  chute is nice. Electric start is nice. I would stay away from too many gadgets such as power chute control.
bfguilford

Re: Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and L-Head vs. Tecumseh OHV vs Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV - Yow!
Reply #3   Oct 27, 2005 5:38 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I just found a really good Ariens dealer around 15 miles away. He actually suggested that I get the 926LE or, if I can afford it, the 1128LE. His feeling it that the larger 14 inch impeller would be important in wetter snow. Of course, that threw me back into the L-Head or Tecumseh OHV debate, along with possibly getting away with one less pass on the driveway due to the 4 inches extra width if I get the 1128LE. Right now, I'm leaning toward either the 7524E or the 1128E... the 926LE seems like getting half-pregnant (L-Head, no trigger lock differential, a little more horsepower, a little more width, bigger impeller). I feel like a boater who has a bad case of 2-foot-itis :) Anybody care to talk me into it or out of it?
OrchidCrazy

Reply #4   Oct 27, 2005 7:17 pm
If you are going to make that kind of investment, go with as much machine as you can afford. You don't need a monster, but get as much as you can. Go with the model that has the features for ease of use. You'll wish you had them when you're freezing your tushie off fighting the snowthrower and playing the "I wish I had" game. If you're going to go that far, I'd send you to Simplicity for their 10560E. But if you're stuck on Ariens go with the model that give you the options you are going to wish you had. Do a search here for comments on the models you are looking at as well.
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #5   Oct 29, 2005 9:36 pm
I'm partial to the Ariens.......
Dealer support is very important. If you like the dealer, and the product, then enjoy owning a new ariens.......I believe they are one of the best. I bought a 1332DLE last year.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
bfguilford

Reply #6   Nov 3, 2005 9:19 pm
Well, it came down to the Ariens 7524 and the Simplicity 8560 (I eliminated the Toro and 9 HP Ariens because I prefer OHV to L-Head engines). My wife eliminated the 11.5 HP Ariens because I promised not to spend more than $1,000 (she just doesn't understand the concept of toys).

After comparing the two again (and again and again), I'll be going with the Simplicity. It has a couple of features that I prefer (one-hand operation, an extra 3 inches of height and the slightly more powerful Briggs OHV engine). Of course, there are features on the Ariens that I prefer as well (the 12 inch impeller, easier to operate chute control and the $210 savings). Dealer quality is about equal as well, according to friends who know both dealers.

Thanks for all your help. Maybe I won't hate snow as much this winter!

faithfulFrank

Reply #7   Nov 8, 2005 12:47 pm
Congrats on your decision!  Simplicity is a good snowblower....i'm sure you will like it.
Let us know how it works out for you!

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Boyzfan

Reply #8   Nov 15, 2005 10:00 pm
I think you will be happy with the Simplicity. I live South of Buffalo where we get up to 250" a year! I bought the 11HP and just love it. I have a long and wide driveway. Yours should be plenty big enough. My 11HP is a little bulky at times, but I need the power at the end of my driveway. They are a really nice machine.
faithfulFrank

Reply #9   Nov 15, 2005 10:48 pm
I just looked at the Simplicity's yesterday....although I'm partial to the Ariens, I liked what I saw.....the local dealer is a friend of mine...got a catolog, etc.

There is nothing like having a good robust snowblower here in western NY....!

Frank D.

Replies: 2 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42