Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Lawn Tractor - what to buy

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clueless

Lawn Tractor - what to buy
Original Message   Oct 24, 2005 3:15 pm
Help!

My older (1993) Cub Cadet 1330 has a dying hydro (it now moves very slow -- unless you're going downhill - then hold on!) and I'm told it cannot be repaired.  It is full of oil, but has been dying for a year - going slower and slower.  So I'm looking for a new lawn mower in a $2000 max budget. 

I have 2 acres to mow, with some hills, lotsa trees to go around, and I would use it to pull a roller or cart full of wood sometimes.  I'd like a 46" or larger deck.   I love a hydro for manuvering around things, etc. but it seems from some sites I've been to that they are the #1 complaint and often die just after the 2 year warranty and leave a big repair bill behind.  I see most hydros are sealed and you can't even change the oil -- which I don't like.  To me, oil needs changed from time to time or there will be trouble.  Same with grease -- I like to see fittings on spindles and front ends. 

Are any hdros in this price range worth owning? 

I see the Cub Cadet website says their 1000 series hydros are "serviceable" but a dealer told me this week they were not.  Anyone know for sure -- and does that mean you can change the oil but if a part goes out  you're screwed and need a new trany or what? 

Locally I can find Deeres, Huskys, and Cadets, and of course Sears stuff.  I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!!!

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
PaulR

Browns, Cavs, Indians...just wait till next year!

Re: Lawn Tractor - what to buy
Reply #1   Oct 30, 2005 9:01 am
Any Simplicity or Massey Lawn Dealers in the area?  The Simplicity Regent looks like a pretty nice unit that falls within your price range.  It has a pivoting rear transmission (see link) that might make mowing those hills a little easier too.  It gives you a choice of single cylinder or v-twin as well as a hydrostatic tranny, and that famous simplicity lawn striping as well.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/regent.php

John Deere GT 225 and 2305

Husqvarna 340

Honda UMK432LTA Trimmer

Bombardier Outlander 400XT

Briggs & Stratton Powerwasher to clean them all with.

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42