Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Single-stage vs. two-stage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bimbert84

Single-stage vs. two-stage
Original Message   Oct 17, 2005 6:57 pm
This is essentially a follow-on to my other thread, but with a different twist, so I hope I'm not violating protocol by starting a new thread....

Driveway about 25'x40', with 60'x5' sidewalk, all pavement.  Most snowfalls less than 6", once or twice a year, we get hit with 10" or so.  Trying to reduce strain for medical reasons.

I currently have a 6HP Toro that really gives me a workout when the snow gets deep and/or wet.  Plus, it's pretty much useless for any substantial EOD.  My main dilemma is whether to keep my single-stage, or sell it and get a two-stage. I took my single-stage to the dealer to get a trade-in estimate, and although he offered me peanuts (no surprise), he did say my rubber paddles and scraper were shot (6 years old, never replaced), and that I was getting the equivalent of maybe 2HP out of my 6HP machine. Yesterday I replaced them, which I figured I'd have to do whether I sell it or keep it. I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile for me to make the jump. Money is not the real issue here, it's physical strain. I'm not helpless or anything, but if it takes more work to snowthrow with the 2-stage then follow up with a shovel, I'm not sure I've gained anything.  On the other hand, every time I think of those 10" snows or the EOD stuff, the two-stage would gain me a lot.

Practically speaking, can you get a two-stage close enough to the surface to not worry about what's left over? Or is following up with a shovel pretty much a necessity?  Will it turn to ice if I don't?

-- Rob

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Dave

Craftsman 88799

Re: Single-stage vs. two-stage
Reply #1   Oct 18, 2005 5:29 pm
Rob, I use a 2 stage snow blower and when I am done I use a wide scoop shovel to clean up. I keep the scapper bar about 1/16th of an inch above the surface, and there is a little snow left behind. This is no big deal for me since it only takes another 5 minutes to clean up with the shovel, and the 2 stage handles the EOD with ease. With that being said, I would not trade in the single stage Toro, since that is a really decent machine. You will probably find that it is much less work to use the Toro with the new paddles installed. When the paddles wear out on a single stage you have to use more effort to push the snow thrower. If you want the best of both worlds, keep the Toro and get a 2 stage for the bigger snow falls.
Moderator Denis

Re: Single-stage vs. two-stage
Reply #2   Oct 18, 2005 11:33 pm
Old one stage blower are definitly stronger but dangerous because auger running fast  and can throwrocks very fast todays one stage are very good

machine and secure too but power not there! I recommend a good two stage then

Denis

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42