Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow Blower Advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
fishwater

Snow Blower Advice
Original Message   Oct 14, 2005 9:10 am
Hello folks,

I found this forum by doing some research on which snow thrower to purchase. We recently purchased a new home with a large driveway, in my last home I had a deal worked out with my neighbor who plowed my driveway for free (what a sweet deal that was!) Now with the new home I obviously need to figure out how to get rid of the white stuff.

I live in Rochester New Hampshire, we average about 60" a year in anual snowfall. The driveway is 17' at the road by 78' long & fans out to about 44' at the bottom. It is a gravel driveway with a slight hill going up to the road.

A close friend of mine purchased an 8.5 hp Ariens two years ago & of course recommends one. I went shopping with him at the time & we looked at everything. Now it is my turn & I am looking at everything as well. From what I have seen I do not want a Craftsman b/c of all the cables & cheasy build quality. Which is a shame because I own a DLT3000 riding mower from them that I like alot with the 20hp V-Twin Kohler. I have looked at the Yard Machine's at Home Depot as well as the smaller Toro's they have, none of them looked like something that would last for a while. I still would like to check out the Husky's & Simplicity, both are available in my area with a little drive time. I was in S. Portland & spoke with a salesman at Chad Little Equipment. He recommended the Ariens 926DLE for my needs, his recommendation seemed solid. He pointed out the benefits of the steel gearcase vs. the alluminum, it made sense b/c of the gravel in my driveway. He also pointed out the differential which really has me sold.

Now my questions are the usual, will the 9.25 be enough HP, of course I don't want to underbuy. I also see I can purchase the 11528LE from HD or Chad Little for less money than the 926DLE & get a little more HP but lose the steel gear case & differential. It does have the remote axle lock on the handlebar which works similar but different. My budget really isn't an issue, I want a good deal but I also want to spend what I need to spend to get a quality machine that will last & do the job. Tough call, so do I buy the bigger machine with less features or the pro model or to make it even worse do I look at other brands & start over. I won't even mention the fact that I CAN put a snowthrower on my lawn mower & cover more ground quicker. HELP!

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
tallyhoe

Re: Snow Blower Advice
Reply #1   Oct 14, 2005 3:41 pm
Hi,

I am with the exact same problem that you have encountered but maybe  a couple of weeks ahead in the process.  I too have been to Chad little since im about 20 min. away.  One thing i have found is that there really isnt a 9.25 hp.  Its a labeling thing.  The toro 826lxe that i like so much with the quick stick most likely has the exact motor as the 926 ariens Le that is labeled as 9.25hp.  Talk about confusing huh?  I have discontinued looking at the Ariens pro series because i have seen old ariens around with alum gearcases that are just fine and just cant justify the added cost.  I too have considered the 11528 le for around $300 mor than the 926 le at the big box store.  But  thought it was overkill.  Currently im looking at shopping around for a couple more weeks for a barely used one for about half over new.  Ive found two promising ones on a local publication that supposely only have light use for around $500.  One is a Ariens st 824 and the other is a toro 826. 

My advice is to seriously take the advice that has been given elswhere and find local shop that you would trust to have service and maintain the snowblower.  The models that you most likely will choose will be close in comparisons and choosing a shop may end up being more important in the end.

Guy

MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #2   Oct 14, 2005 4:14 pm
I have literally used a Dozen snowblowers in the past few years, at work, and have owner. Any quality 8 HP or up two stage machine can handle your requests. I currently run a 1128PRo ariens. Almost too big for my needs. With a 8-9 HP 24" cut, More power usually doesnt increase snow removal speeds. Cutting width does. But with width, you loose handling, storage ability, etc.

The Ariens 926DLE  you mention Gives you plenty of power, the Roughest components ariens offers, and will surly remove many a blizzard.

I also STRONGLY recomend the servicing dealer. I see too many replies to machines improperly set up, or no customer support from Big Box Stores. I worked in one of those type stores. And the machines I built had TLC, But the 18 year old kid who is throwing together parts doest care about quality, only getting them built so he can get paid.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
fishwater

Reply #3   Oct 14, 2005 6:37 pm
I did a little comparison shopping today. I looked at Toro, Simplicity & Husky. I stil prefer the Ariens 926DLE but found the Toro's prety nice as well. I am a bit concerned about the plastic chute but otherwise it looks like a nice machine. Their "power steering" & joystick features are nice as well. Still too many choices, this is a tough decision.
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #4   Oct 15, 2005 6:41 am
As tallyhoe mentioned, there are plenty of Aluminum gearcases still out there.  I think the bearing between the impeller and the drive pulley will go long before anything happens to the Aluminum gearcase. 

I was given a 1988 8HP Ariens that sheared the TWO pins in the gearcase.  One was a solid 1/4" steel groove pin, the other was a 3/16" steel pin (the rolled-up in a C-shape sheet metal kind).   Both pins were sheared into three pieces.  I was quite surprised, and perhaps even a little bit lucky, but  it didn't damage the Aluminum case at all.

However, I do have to admit that a cast iron gearcase does give an additional (in only perceived) level of confidence. 

I'm partial to Ariens, but that's only because I have a few of them.  No experience with other brands. 

Best of luck

fishwater

Reply #5   Nov 14, 2005 8:17 pm
OK, I FINALLY made my purchase today. We picked out the Toro 828 LXE. I thought about it & realized that my wife may have to use it while I am away on business. I brought her to the dealer with me, they sell Ariens & Toro. We had her try the chute controls & she picked the Toro, it really is easier I have to admit. I noticed the Ariens chute controls locking up in the showroom, even on "perfectly" adjusted ones! I know the Ariens is built better with heavier steel & more bearings but the 828 seems easier to use. Now I just hope I made the right decision & it is every bit as good as the 926 DLE that was sitting next to it.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42