Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New driveway—need a bigger snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jonb

Original Message   Sep 16, 2005 10:55 am

Hello, first post, been reading the archives.

This summer, I tripled the size of my driveway, from about 800 sq ft to about 2500 sq ft. The new driveway includes a short slope that gains about 4 ft of height in about 40 ft of length. Here are a couple of pics of the work in progress:

http://www.rallystuff.com/images/driveway1.jpg

http://www.rallystuff.com/images/driveway2.jpg

I live in SE PA, and we get half a dozen snowfalls per year, with one or two that are a foot or more. I have a seven year old Toro 16” 2-stroke, single stage blower that was barely adequate for the old driveway. Now I’m looking for something that can handle the larger area of the new driveway.

Since it has to fit through the garage-cellar door, the overall width can’t be more than 28”. This limits me to about a 24” blower.

A couple of questions:

1) I really like the way the rubber paddles of the Toro clean the pavement. I’ve never used a 2-stage blower, but I’ve read that they don’t clean right down to the surface. I also see they’re much lighter than a comparable 2-stage. Is there any chance a large single stage blower would be adequate here? Toro has a 24” and Ariens has a 22”.

2) If not, I guess I’m looking at a 24” 2-stage. From reading the various mfr sites, it looks like the entry level 24” blowers get really shortchanged on features. What is a good, reliable, powerful blower in this class? Again, I’ve never used a self propelled 2-stage, so I don’t want to buy one and then find out it’s awkward to use or missing a needed feature in the first big storm.

Thanks for any recommendations!

This message was modified Sep 16, 2005 by jonb
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
OldToroOwner

Reply #1   Sep 16, 2005 8:48 pm
Welcome to the forum...

Because you've already admitted you get more than a foot of snow several times a year, I wouldn't get anything less than an 8hp, 2 stage!  And if it was me, I'd say geta 9 hp. You may be limited because of your door, I know, but don't skimp on horsepower, you'll need it!

You've got a decent size driveway...not to mention the slope. And I would bet from your pics, you're going to get some serious "drifts". I'd get drift cutters on it also. Electric start is nice to have, and usually most new machines have that in the price range you'll be looking at. A headlight is nice to have also for those dark mornings or late night snow storms.... you know what I mean!

You'll hear all sorts of brand names on this board: Ariens, Toro, Honda...to mention a few. They all make good quality machines  that,  with reasonable care , will last a long, long time. Change the oil, keep them maintained, and they'll take care of you!... 

I say buy from a dealer if possible, because he'll back you up with his service and you'll know that it was assembled correctly! As far as other stuff goes: locking differentials, hand warmers...don't know because I've never had them on my machines, so what you don't have, i guess you don't miss!

You're probably looking at between $1000- 1300. for what you need.  I know it's a lot of money but... you'll never regret it the money you spend on a quality machine. I , for one, still haven't forgotten last Winter!

Hope this helps...

This message was modified Sep 16, 2005 by OldToroOwner
mason156

Reply #2   Sep 19, 2005 8:51 am
From your pictures, it looks to me like there is another reason to recommend a two-stage snowblower, which is the shape of your driveway and the height of the wall around it.  The two-stage makes it easy to toss the snow across the driveway and/or up and over the wall.  I would not worry about the slope - that kind of slope is not a problem for the tires that basically all of the snowblowers you would be looking at use.  There are many good machines in the 8-9 HP two-stage market.  I'll let everyone else who has their favorite make their pitch.

Steve

jonb

Reply #3   Sep 19, 2005 10:47 am
I test-pushed a couple of 2-stage blowers at Sears yesterday. They all had what felt like a locked differential, even when the drive was disengaged. Are there any models that have a diff that allows it to turn without effectively dragging one side or the other?
jonb

Reply #4   Sep 19, 2005 4:44 pm
Ordered an Ariens 7524 today. Local shop had it for $100 less than Speedway, and will assemble, adjust and run it in for me. Nice to be able to patronize a local retailer AND save money.

I didn't see many that were more powerful in a 24" width--hopefully 7.5HP will be adequate.

This message was modified Sep 19, 2005 by jonb
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42