Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What Kind Of Engine Will Work With An Ariens ST270 (Model #932001)?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tunaboy3

What Kind Of Engine Will Work With An Ariens ST270 (Model #932001)?
Original Message   Sep 3, 2005 4:01 am
Hi,

I've purchased this snowblower today at a yard sale for $15.00.  Unfortunately, there are different pieces missing from the engine - so I figure it will be cheaper to just replace the engine (as I can't even identify what kind of engine it was).

What kind of details do I need to be aware of in order to replace this engine?  Obviously, I have to make sure the bolt pattern matches... but what else?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a worthy engine replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Re: What Kind Of Engine Will Work With An Ariens ST270 (Model #932001)?
Reply #1   Sep 3, 2005 7:45 am
Steve-

I picked up the same Ariens 270 with a missing engine shroud. gas tank, and pull starter.  If you can't find any numbers on your engine, then it sounds like you're missing the engine shroud also.  It seems like these are the hard parts to find (at least for free).  It sat for a while until I found a 4 horse Tecumseh that bolted right on (I don't know its history, but I was told it was from an Ariens Snothro). 

I would suggest that you try a local Ariens dealer.  Although I don't often buy many new parts, I do strike up a conversation when I'm there.  There may be many old used parts machines out back.  Can't hurt to stop by and ask.  I would stop by soon, when they may be relatively slow.  I suspect they won't have time to chat about snowblowers after the first frost. 

Maybe even try a local small mower shop. 

In case you didn't know it, most manuals are available free online from Ariens- just navigate to the manuals section on Ariens dot com and enter your model number. 

Good Luck- I'm still concentrating on getting my 1988 Ariens ST824 ready for the Winter.  I already have a 1974 824 ready to go.  Then I'll get working on the 270 (which I guess is a "400" now).  I figure three ought to keep me safe. 

tunaboy3

Reply #2   Sep 4, 2005 1:46 am
Wow!

It sounds like you have a twin of my machine!  I'm missing the engine shroud, gas tank, and pull starter as well!... oh, I'm missing the key too!

Thank you very much for the advice.  I'm going to find the nearest Ariens dealer and see if I can at least get those parts I'm missing.  If not, I'll just replace the motor.

And thank you for letting me know the owner's manual for my machine was on Arien's website!  I was at their website - but they don't advertise that too well - so was glad you told me, since I did find the owner's manual (that I almost paid $10 on eBay for!).

Thanks again!

Steve

Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Sep 4, 2005 12:33 pm
Steve,

The prime considerations will be the crankshaft length & diameter. Your old pulley will have to fit on the shaft in the proper location so that the belts are aligned. I would think any "small frame" Tecumseh Snow King engine should work out for you. Another consideration - does your engine have an auxiliary PTO shaft (2 shafts)? If it does, you will have a somewhat tougher search.

Marty

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42