Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Best cheap mulching mower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
drinkingbird

Best cheap mulching mower?
Original Message   Aug 5, 2005 1:32 am
OK so the size of my lawn is laughable.  I currently use a junky push reel for it, however I'm just finishing up a complete re-landscape, and I will have a very nice lawn, albeit only about 250 square feet.  I also have about 150 square feet out back.

I want gas, manual drive, and halfway decent mulching.  Rear bag is best too as I have some tight nooks and crannys.  And might use the bag for leaves in the fall, dunno, I have a vac too.  For the most part it will be plugged and mulching.

For what I'm doing probably any of the cheap craftsman or huskys will do, but figured I'd see if there are any that stand out.  Would like to stay under $200.  $150 if possible.  Home depot is preferable as I get 10% off there always.  I think they have the Poulin variety which is a husky if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks
-Dave

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Termy

Re: Best cheap mulching mower?
Reply #1   Aug 5, 2005 5:46 am
Well, if thats all you need out of a mower, I would reccomend something like ...this...

If you want to multch, all you have to do is mow without the bag on.

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #2   Aug 5, 2005 9:13 am
If cheap is as important as good, find the "oldtimer" in your neighborhood that fixes and resells old mowers (every neighborhood has one) and buy a premium brand used mower for around $50-60. With your size lawn, it will last many years.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
drinkingbird

Reply #3   Aug 5, 2005 11:34 am
Termy wrote:
Well, if thats all you need out of a mower, I would reccomend something like ...this...

If you want to multch, all you have to do is mow without the bag on.

Yep, that's one of the ones I'm looking at.  Seems like it will do the trick fine for me, like I said just wasn't sure if there was any diamond in the rough hiding with better features, etc for the same money.

Thanks
-Dave

drinkingbird

Reply #4   Aug 5, 2005 11:35 am
bontaiJoe wrote:
If cheap is as important as good, find the "oldtimer" in your neighborhood that fixes and resells old mowers (every neighborhood has one) and buy a premium brand used mower for around $50-60. With your size lawn, it will last many years.

Eh, I'd rather just have one that I don't have to worry about what the old timer missed when fixing it.

Besides I think I'm the closest thing to that old timer, they all bring their stuff to me for fixing.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   Aug 5, 2005 10:56 pm
Looks like they have the mid-wheel design on the back wheels.  There not the same size as the front, and not a high wheel either.  I understand it's better. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

robmints

Reply #6   Aug 5, 2005 11:09 pm
bontaiJoe wrote:

I'm going to go with Joe.

Might need to shop for old used junk as hard as you would for new junk.  But if you find a good one it will out perform, and outlast the new junk by far.  Just my opinion.  But I do know a reputable oldtimer.  Maybe I have been jaded by Poulan and K Gro.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #7   Aug 6, 2005 1:45 pm
In that price range they're all about the same. They'll all start and make the blade go around, just depends for how long. Buy a used good one instead of a new POS.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42