Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Yamaha EF3000ISEB Generator

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Yamaha EF3000ISEB Generator
Original Message   Jul 27, 2005 10:25 am

Hi folks,

We decided to purchase a portable generator for our home.  We didn't want to spend a huge amount of money, however, high quality and quiet was top on my list, so we had to look beyond what Lowes or Home Depot sells.  Prior to purchasing, I got my hands on one of those, "Kill-A-Watt" meters and I'm sure glad I did.  Most generator websites or dealers all pull out that same wattage chart.  I'm glad I investigated our own appliances for myself because it I hadn't, I would have been forced to purchase much more generator than what was actually required. 

Running our refrigerator, 27" color TV, Microwave, 5,000 BTU A/C unit (summer months), oil furnace and some lights would be great.  I originally had settled on the Honda EU3000ISA, which is an inverter unit, but decided not to purchase it because there were to many extras that would still have to be purchased as options.  The wheel kit and a battery for electric start, just to name two things made me feel I really wasn't getting such a great deal with this brand name for $1,699.00 through an online purchase, $1,799.00 plus tax if through my local dealer.   

I did more research and found the Yamaha EF3000ISEB with it's innovative BOOST technology to be an excellent choice.  It comes with the wheel kit and front and rear grab bars, and the battery if you're too lazy to pull the recoil starter.  It's also the most quiet generator you can buy today.  Although this generator is designed to produce 2,800 watts of continuous power, it has a surge rating of 3000 watts.  However, the BOOST control feature actually makes it equivalent to a 3,500 watt generator because if you turn on an electric motor that requires high amps, this control feature senses additional power is required and diverts power from the onboard battery for up to 10 seconds of extra boost. 

This Yamaha generator has gotten such rave reviews, it seemed like the perfect portable for us at $1,899.00 delivered, which is arriving today through a mail order purchase from Mayberry's.  We could have purchased one of those $700.00 5,500 watt units from Lowes, but the noise would have been unbearable, especially for our neighbors.  Also the fact that the Yamaha is under 150 lbs thanks to the compact inverter technology, was another big selling point.  I'll let you know how the run-in goes.

Richie

This message was modified Jul 27, 2005 by Richie

Richie
Replies: 29 - 30 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Yamaha EF3000ISEB Generator
Reply #29   Aug 1, 2005 9:21 am
Dave___in___CT wrote:

if I want more than battery/solar panel power at the camper... it will be utility electricity

Dave,

I didn't know you were into solar power too.  I have a small 40 watt array at our home that maintains a few Optima D-31M marine batteries for emergencies and other special projects.  From my observations using it for several years now, including the Morningstar Prostar 15M digital readout charge controller, the down side to using solar is the fact that electro-mechanical solar trackers are not really viable for the home owner due to them being seriously over priced.  You just wouldn't believe how much energy you are NOT capturing because the panels sit stationary.  There are some lower cost altenatives, but they leave much to be desired. 

Richie
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Re: Yamaha EF3000ISEB Generator
Reply #30   Aug 1, 2005 6:55 pm
Hi Ritchie...

The solar panel is just to keep the camper's deep-cycle battery charged...  been doing its job for a few years now... no plans for solar panels for a home...

Thanks,

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 29 - 30 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42