Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Used ztr mower opinion needed?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Used ztr mower opinion needed?
Original Message   Jul 3, 2005 5:11 pm
hello- as I mentioned in a earlyier post, I will be doing some mowing ( I hope) next summer to assist in my retirement from work. I want to look for a ztr this winter when off-season gets you a little better price. I want to look for one needing repair as I'll be pretty much starting from scratch and can't afford a new one. I can fix alot of disabled small equipment so I don't mind labor to get it up to par. but my question is this:  is there any certain ztr's that are on the 'junk' list and ain't worth fixing? separate pumps for each wheel better ..or is there a certain drive system on any of the older ones that was a nightmare? sorry if I sound 'uneducated' here but that is because I am..this will be a new venture for me as I have worked in  bricked indoor factory for last 32 years.  As I mentioned, I want to look at a fixer-upper needing work ( weld-motor-ect..) but want to put the work into one that has potentual-  any definant 'no-no's or info on what to look for is much appreciated        thx-  Gene
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Used ztr mower opinion needed?
Reply #1   Jul 3, 2005 7:02 pm
Geno,

I think any of the commercial grade ZTR's would be worth fixing up assuming they're not completely shot. Yea, the dual hydro pumps and wheel motors are preferable, though might cost more to replace each, maybe? I presume you wouldn't buy one in that condition anyhow.

Here's some brands. You could print this list. Some make both commercial and consumer.

Commercial:

Bad Boys
Country Clipper
Cub
Dixie Chopper
Dixon
Encore
Excel/Hustler
Exmark
Ferris
Grasshopper
Gravely
Great Dane
Husqvarna
John Deere
Kubota
Scag
Snapper
Toro
Walker
Wright Standers
Yazoo/Kees
Zipper

Consumer:

Ariens
Dixon
Husqvarna
Lawn Boy
Simplicity
Snapper
Swisher
Toro
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #2   Jul 3, 2005 9:29 pm
Hello Been a while since I have posted been real busy lately. Geno I have a small lawn business on the side. I use walk-behinds but, I have a lot of friends that have riders. Just talking to them they tell me that alot of mower have diffrent types of grass that they might do a better job on than another. So i would maybe take that into consideration also when looking for a used one. I'm sure their might be people that will argure with that i dunno. But even with my Exmark walkbehind I have used 4 diffrent blades on it. I live In Florida and we have bahia and St. Augustine.  You can get a great cut on the St. Augustine. but on the Bahia I can't get it to cut where I'm saticfied yet!!! But my buddy has a Lesco that is oppsite of mine. Just thought maybe this might help you out. Later Mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Geno

Reply #3   Jul 4, 2005 11:08 am
thanks for info / input. I may end up using a walk behind..will see what I come across this winter.   didn't realize their were so many makes.  I think a commercial brand is the way to go.  thanks again for the info             Gene
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #4   Jul 6, 2005 7:24 pm
Hi Geno...

A commercial walkbehind is a lot less $$$ than a rider...

I say 1st... Consider the size... access... type of lawn jobs you have or might expect to get... Likely the jobs the full-time pro's don't wanna' bother with... "Only cut it when it's 6" tall..."   "I'll call you when I want it cut..." small jobs... pain-in-the-neck lawns... (or owners...) etc... the leftovers... with an occasional "brass ring..."...

...then decide what type / size mower may be a best-fit... ...21" cut...???   60" rider... ???    48" walkbehind...???  hydro-drive...??? belt drive...???  ...how will I transport the equipment... ???   will it hold up..??? backup plan...???   ...and on-and-on...

Without specifics... I say look for a good to very good condition used commercial hydro-drive walk behind mower... 48" cut... can be paid for in 1/2 a mowing season I bet...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Geno

Reply #5   Jul 6, 2005 10:09 pm
thanks Dave- some real good points to consider.  I really missed the boat here awhile back- a commercial scagg needing some attention- $100!  told him I would be over after work..well after agreeing to this he sold it 1 hour later.  he offered to sell me several of them and other equipment for $500 for all..he sold it all before I got there.  Wish I had left work right away, but thats the way things go sometimes. lesson well learned.    thanks again       Gene
power

Reply #6   Mar 16, 2006 5:24 am
Zipper? Who are they? Never heard of that brand for commercial use.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42