Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Walk Behind High Wheel Trimmer

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JPP1

Craftsman Walk Behind High Wheel Trimmer
Original Message   Jun 27, 2005 8:40 pm
Does anyone out there own one of these?

I bought it new in 1998 and have dispised it since Day 1. It has been in for repairs more than I care to mention.

Long story short....

I am using the thing to cut down overgrown grass at my camp. I TRY to make it cut through some tall weeds like golden rod which doesn't have a very thick stalk.

What is the secret to keeping those cutting cords on the machine without having them fly off as soon as they hit a weed? I found that cutting the stock cords a little shorter helps keep them on longer because they are not smacking into the side shields when the head is spinning. But they come off WAY TOO EASILY!!!! I hate the machine with a passion, I am constantly re-installing cords until I get sick of it and put the thing away.

Any secrets? I am installing the cords properly and I am using the recommended cords they sell for this albatross. Of course the Sears 'Service' Center says nothing is wrong with it when it is in for repairs.

If I hadn't paid so much money for it, I would throw it by the curb side in a heartbeat.

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Re: Craftsman Walk Behind High Wheel Trimmer
Reply #1   Jun 27, 2005 8:51 pm
Hi..

Maybe a thicker line can be had for it... Better cutting I suppose...

Is there some kinda' cutting blade available ?

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #2   Jun 28, 2005 10:00 am
All I can think of is to try to find out who the actual manufacturer was, and see if they offer a better cutting line than what Sears offers. That sometimes happens, the parent manufacturer updates or improves their own line, but the update doesn't trickle down to the retailers of "house brand" machines, like Sears, K-Mart, etc. No garantees on this, but it is worth checking out.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
MARLINFAN

Reply #3   Jun 29, 2005 11:19 am
My Dad bought one of those a year ago and I borrowed it from him this year to cut .25 Acre Love it works great! You said the line was hitting the shroud which tells me your putting the line on wrong no offense intended. You should have the string divide in half per side of the 2 string head this one is a little different than the one I used it was Yard King or something from Sears and I had to pull the string through the eyelets and back over semi knot like the principle is the same hope this helps.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=07177370000

http://www.murray.com/www/store/product.asp?mscssid=U98Q48UBXFF78K9DEB231QL22DD4DH75&pfid=TM5000X89A

JPP1

Reply #4   Jun 29, 2005 11:37 am
MARLINFAN wrote:
My Dad bought one of those a year ago and I borrowed it from him this year to cut .25 Acre Love it works great! You said the line was hitting the shroud which tells me your putting the line on wrong no offense intended. You should have the string divide in half per side of the 2 string head this one is a little different than the one I used it was Yard King or something from Sears and I had to pull the string through the eyelets and back over semi knot like the principle is the same hope this helps.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=07177370000

http://www.murray.com/www/store/product.asp?mscssid=U98Q48UBXFF78K9DEB231QL22DD4DH75&pfid=TM5000X89A

No offense taken. I do bend the cord in half, then slide the middle (loop part) of the cord back through the open slots and snap it onto the little hook in there that 'holds' the cord in place.

When done, there are two pieces of string coming out each opening. Without trimming the cord, it rips into the protective apron which gets shredded. One of the hooks will not hold the string for more than a minute. I made sure the string holding hooks are clean of debris but they stil won't hold. Sears said there is nothing wrong and when they 'fixed' installed cords for me and they put them on the way I have always put them on. Not surprisingly, the first time I started it when I got home the cords smacked into the safety apron and went flying off. Same old....same old......

My blood pressure is rising as I think of the frustration and futility this piece of junk has put me through. maybe the newer ones hold the string better.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   Jun 29, 2005 11:50 am
TRIMMER LINE
For best results, replace trimmer lines
when they have worn to half their original
length. Use .155 inch diameter trimmer
line. Cut new trimmer line length to 18-3/4
inches. After new line is installed on
trimmer head, check all lines so they do
not vary more then one (1) inch in length.
This is important to make sure the trimmer
head is balanced and will not vibrate
abnormally.
Are you using .155 line?  I'd check into a blade being retrofitted onto the machine so it can be better used. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

jimrsmith3

Reply #6   Mar 10, 2006 8:54 pm
Line is in wrong.

Start by put  ONE of string ends in from the FRONT to BACK one of the end holes, put this same end from BACK to FRONT of other outside hole.

You now have two ends comming out the front of the two outside holes.

Take ends and Loop over top to the BACK of the middle hole, put both ends through the middle hole from the BACK to the FRONT

You  end up with 2 strings coming out of middle hole.

ragmopp

Reply #7   Mar 11, 2006 8:03 pm
I cannot help you with your Craftsman string trimmer, but if you decide to get rid of it and replace it, I do have a suggestion. I purchased a Counrty Home Products string trimmer (DR Power Equipment) 11 years ago. It is still going strong. I have appx a acre of ground that I cut.  There are rocks and heaven alone knows what in that area. This trimmer has handled any of the weeds (and last year they were up to my waist is some areas) with no problems. The company provides cutting cord from 130 mil to 175, so you should be able to mow just about anything on your property.  They also have a attachment that will allow you to cut brush and small trees up to 3 inches. I cannot say enough about their product (and I have absolutely no connection with the company at all). If you are interested they have a web site : WWW.DRpower.com
Menagerie

Reply #8   Sep 29, 2008 9:22 pm
I have a older trimmer and I love love it.  I do have a question.. I got too close to some string and it is tangled up under the 4" thing that holds the string.  I bought it used so I don't have a manual or diagram.  Can't find one online either.  Don't know where to look for the model # or serial #. 

Thank you for any help.

Carol (Menagerie)

hobiedriver

Reply #9   Nov 14, 2008 10:40 pm
JPP1 wrote:
Does anyone out there own one of these?

I bought it new in 1998 and have dispised it since Day 1. It has been in for repairs more than I care to mention.

Long story short....

I am using the thing to cut down overgrown grass at my camp. I TRY to make it cut through some tall weeds like golden rod which doesn't have a very thick stalk.

What is the secret to keeping those cutting cords on the machine without having them fly off as soon as they hit a weed? I found that cutting the stock cords a little shorter helps keep them on longer because they are not smacking into the side shields when the head is spinning. But they come off WAY TOO EASILY!!!! I hate the machine with a passion, I am constantly re-installing cords until I get sick of it and put the thing away.

Any secrets? I am installing the cords properly and I am using the recommended cords they sell for this albatross. Of course the Sears 'Service' Center says nothing is wrong with it when it is in for repairs.

If I hadn't paid so much money for it, I would throw it by the curb side in a heartbeat.

I have a Murray similar to your machine, and I love it. I've rebuilt and modified it several times over the years, but it's the kind of machine that will do what nothing else can do. Early on I had problems with the trimmer line breaking and coming off as well. It may be that you're not installing it properly, which is very important, but the MOST important trick is to cut back on the engine speed. Where I once needed several line changes to mow my half acre, I can now usually mow twice on the same set. Throttle should be set at the lowest RPM that will cut what you need to cut. Unless you're attacking really heavy stuff, that's somewhere around a third to a half of max power. Try it. Good luck.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42