Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Any advice on trimmer blades?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
robmints

Any advice on trimmer blades?
Original Message   Jun 27, 2005 6:16 pm
I have an FS85.

I have about a four to six foot growth of poke, grass, and Godknowswhat. The largest woody stalk is about 1/4 maybe 1/2 inch in diameter.

Trimmer line (Stihl round .095) does OK until it hits a woody stalk, then it wraps around the stalk and breaks off. Tried heavier line with the same result. My trimmer blade that looks like 24T curcular saw blade does OK until it hits some grass, then it drags all the grass it can bite into it's self, wraps the grass around the trimmer shaft, and really slows down the trimmer, so much so, I need to stop and clear the grass.

There are a million kinds of blades now, what do you all recommend?

Thanks.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MARLINFAN

Re: Any advice on trimmer blades?
Reply #2   Jun 27, 2005 6:34 pm
The best .95 Trimmer Line would be the Orange Oregon Line it is Star shaped and wears like Iron. I always like to buy enough line so that I have to buy new more often to keep it fresh I have heard of a few people during the Summer Months to keep it in a bucket of water to keep the resin from drying out can't speak for the best blades.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #3   Jun 27, 2005 6:50 pm
I found a couple things that discuss it lightly. Might be tough to find something that does both well.

A multitude of flail-type and fixed-blade attachments are available for this purpose (see figure, page C 12). Brush units consist of flail-type nylon blades or solid, rigid blades. Rigid blades are made from plastic or metal and may have three or four points or many teeth (resembling a circular-saw blade). Some manufacturers even produce brush blades with chainsaw-type teeth mounted on the periphery of the blade. Many metal blades can be sharpened, a definite cost saver when you're performing extensive brush clearing.

Choosing among the available brush blades is a matter of determining your needs. Flail and star blades are suited for weeds. However, if you must deal with saplings, woody vines or other woody material, heavier metal blades will be necessary. Not surprisingly, several manufacturers known best for their chainsaws also are leaders in the field of brush-cutting blades, but most other trimmer manufacturers offer quality brush-cutting accessories as well. Make sure the blade you choose is appropriate for the size and power of the trimmer. Sticking with the same manufacturer helps ensure compatibility, though several reputable after-market manufacturers offer good-quality, compatible products too.

Brush blades

More

robmints

Reply #4   Jun 27, 2005 7:15 pm
Marshall wrote:
How large a dia. of line did you try? I have used as thick as .155 (I think) and it took a bear to break it.

.130 and .105

It did not break as easily. But it did wrap around the woody stuff and jerk the trimmer head into the stick and stop the trimmer from turning. It would do this 4 or 5 times more than the .095. Then it would break at the eyelet. Kind of got my mind made up to not use string anymore for this. No matter how good the string, I feel it would still wrap and make a PITA out of it's self.

What is the difference between those 4 blade and 3 blade blades?
Marshall

Reply #5   Jun 27, 2005 7:28 pm
GRA 3 Blade
Designed for cutting and clearing
heavy weeds and underbrush.

GRA 4 Blade

Designed for cutting grass and weeds.

GRA 8 Blade
Designed for cutting grass and weeds
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #6   Jun 27, 2005 8:15 pm
you should get your self one of the 3 or 4 tooth reversable blades. kinda shaped like a star and made of steel.

when cutting start at the top and cut off 6 inches or so at a time.this is especially important when dealing with tall grass type material.it wont wind up and clog your blade this way.

once you get the hang of it you can do a large area fairly quick. also dont do the very lowest portion right away,clean up all the debris and then you can see where any rocks or other blade dulling objects may be.

good luck and dont forget to take on lots of wobbly pop during these hot days.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Jun 27, 2005 8:55 pm
Sounds like SS has an excellent recommendation...

...otherwise... use best blade for the heavy/woody stuff... then switch over to trimmer line for the grass...

No one does all jobs well !

Dave...

This message was modified Jun 28, 2005 by Dave___in___CT

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

robmints

Reply #8   Jun 27, 2005 9:05 pm
Poor technique, that's my problem.

Dave,
Sounds like I need another trimmer.
robmints

Reply #9   Jul 2, 2005 10:25 am
Thanks guys,
Got the three blade star. The 4 blade star was less than $15. The 3 blade star was $26, it had to be better, right?
It does work very well. With the line on the trimmer I went about 20 feet in a half an hour, With the 3 blade star, I went 120 feet in a little less than an hour.
Thanks again.

Anybody use the hedge trimmers on their trimmer?
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #10   Jul 3, 2005 12:05 pm
I think price tells us something when we are buying.   

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Marshall

Reply #11   Jul 3, 2005 12:12 pm
robmints wrote:
Thanks guys,
Got the three blade star. The 4 blade star was less than $15. The 3 blade star was $26, it had to be better, right?

That's been my experience on most things, unfortunately.

Rob, I havn't used the hedge trimmers. Seems to me like it would be heavy?
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42