Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What are the strengths of a RER

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Mang

What are the strengths of a RER
Original Message   Jun 23, 2005 1:57 pm
I really like the size of the rear engine riders like the snappers.  I'm curious though why not many people seem to use them,  What are they good at? bad at? etc.  my home is on 1/3 acre and has about 5600 sqft of grass to cut,  no trees in the grass, and hill in the back ( I could post pics if I need to).   thank you in advance
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Re: What are the strengths of a RER
Reply #2   Jun 23, 2005 2:27 pm
This is not an all inclusive list, just what came to mind at the moment.

GOOD AT:

1. Economical to buy and maintain.

2. Easy to operate

3. Most brands offer a good quality of cut.

4. Save space in a garage.

BAD AT:

1. Doing lawns over 1 or 2 acres (they tend to have small decks and go slow)

2. Any job besides cutting grass.

3. Not as stable on steep slopes, tend to be very light in the front.

4. If you are as large as me (6'-3" and on the dark side of 300 pounds) they are under powered to move you around and most are not comfortable for large people to operate.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #3   Jun 23, 2005 2:54 pm
Ditto to all.

I bought one because I wanted the best mulcher and bagger on the market and one that would not leave clumps of grass. The 33" deck and 15HP Kohler do everything I need. I was willing to pay a couple of large ones for it. I pull a spreader and have pulled aerators, nothing more.

I'm 6'0" 220 and fit fine with room to spare, not a lot though.   Wait, I've lost 7lbs. 

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #4   Jun 23, 2005 4:13 pm
Folks---From my experience with them I find that they have  an excellent record for dependability.  Snapper---just one belt, one drive disk.   About all you ever have to service for years.   Both of these items are very simple and easy to install---will normally last for severall mowing seasons --not very expensive.- In my part of the country parts are easily available-------Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
lland

Reply #5   Jun 24, 2005 4:58 pm
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
"The Snapper models can also be stored standing up if the proper preparations are made (remove battery etc.)"

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been known to happen) but I belive the battery on the Snappers are suspended so if you tilt the machine up, the battery remains upright so removing it for storage (or to clean the deck, etc.) is not necessary.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Marshall

Reply #6   Jun 24, 2005 5:04 pm
lland wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been known to happen) but I belive the battery on the Snappers are suspended so if you tilt the machine up, the battery remains upright so removing it for storage (or to clean the deck, etc.) is not necessary.

LL

LL, mines not that way. However, I never removed it for storing on end for a few days or week at a time. I might  if I was storing it for over a winter or a long period. Most the time the whole rider sits normally.
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #7   Jun 24, 2005 7:09 pm
I've actually read the owners manual (yes I read a manual) and it says that the battery should be removed if standing for more than 2 hours on it's end.  It's probably just a liability thing, I'm not sure.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
itzbinnice

Reply #8   Jun 28, 2005 10:11 am
Mang

I think the Snapper RER would be a good fit for you since you say the 5600 sq ft is all grass and no trees. I have an old one, a 1985 and in my situation was not a good choice because of the turning radius on my machine is 28". I believe the newer ones are shorter.I woulld also get the 33: model rather than 28, the job will go faster. I have many nooks and crannies and trees and with such a large turning radus I am constantly putting it in reverse. I also must pull out the Personal Pace Toro to get areas done where it is impractical to get to with the Snapper.

They are in fact very durable and easy to maintain. The optional bagger is superb, these units pick up everything, including sand. I suggest if you do decide to get one, get a Ninja mulching blade for it it does a far better job of mulching then the Gator blades. If you intend to bag (doubtful) you must change the mulching blade to a high lift blade for maximum efficiency. My grass area is not as large as yours so after mulching I use my back pack blower to disperse any clumps that may have accumulated, only takes a few nimutes.

You can also check out the Ariens units, they too make a fine machine. If memory hasn't failed me (often does) I believe the newer ones have a turning radius of 16". That would be better for me but can't afford one right now.

Mang

Reply #9   Jun 29, 2005 12:37 pm
Good information,   thanks for taking the time,

My concern is going to be the sharp turns around the edges of the grass,  we are going to put in a mow strip, this curbing is in a curvey line all the way around. I wish I could try one and see how it does before I commit.  Do the dealers typically let you demo a machine on your own yard before you buy?

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #10   Jun 29, 2005 4:59 pm
From what I have experienced the dealer would really only like to do that for a regular customer.  I have an Ariens dealer close by that let sometimes lets his customers use the machine at their home.  If you don't like it he has to take a discount off of it, and that's a loss.  I would think a Deere dealer would have more leeway.  It all depends on the dealer. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Marshall

Reply #11   Jun 29, 2005 5:16 pm
IF HE HAS ANY GRASS AROUND THE DEALERSHIP GIVE IT A SHOT. I SUGGEST RIDING AROUND ON IT ANYWAY BEFORE YOU BUY. YOU CAN GET A PRETTY GOOD IDEA FOR THE FEEL OF IT AND IT'S MANUVERABILITY ON A DRIVEWAY OR PARKING LOT.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42