Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Mantis Customer Service

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lland

Mantis Customer Service
Original Message   Jun 6, 2005 8:43 pm

Some of you may remember from my various posts, I have a Mantis tiller and am very impressed with the quality of the machine and how well it performs the work it was designed to do.  I also have the border/edger attachment (came with the machine), aerator and dethatcher attachments, and kickstand.  Overall, I only had two (very) minor complaints, the throttle trigger comes off the back of the right handlebar, requiring you to use your pinkie to move it (not a big deal, but just doesn’t feel as natural as an index finger trigger), and the fact that the machine vibrates a lot.

Well, I recently read that they had redesigned the handlebars for this year giving the new Mantis an “index finger trigger”, and larger handgrips which may help reduce the amount of vibration passed on to the operator.  I figured I’d give them a call to see if the new handlebars would fit my (approximately one year old) machine and if so, how much they would cost.  I called and spoke to customer service who said I needed to speak to technical service.  Customer service transferred me.

I mentioned to the technical service representative what I was looking for and since I bought the machine directly from the factory, he located my account (last name, zip code) and asked me to hold on for a minute.  When he returned, he told me that a new set of upper handlebars would be sent out that day (the lower part of the handlebars were unchanged), no charge, and when I replaced them, I should put the old ones in the box and they would have UPS pick them up.  He did mention that the throttle cable connects to the carburetor in a different manner than the one I had and that it could be confusing.  “If you have any trouble” he said, “just give us a call.”

That was last Wednesday…the package came Friday, two days after the phone call.

Friday night I was going to install the new upper handlebars and found that yes, the new throttle cable attachment is different and confusing and unfortunately, it was late and the Mantis phones were no longer open so I went online and found the new Mantis Owner’s manual and downloaded it.  In the manual was a picture showing the new throttle cable connection but when I went to install it, found a screw and washer is missing so it couldn’t be properly secured.  Also and the new left upper handlebar was really another right upper handlebar with a plain handgrip instead of the throttle handgrip.  Unfortunately, it won’t fit properly on the left side (unless I installed it upside-down) and the handgrips between the old and new handlebar sections were not interchangeable (they are of different length).

I called Mantis back this morning and told them about the missing screw and washer and improper handlebar.  Within two minutes they told me they would have a new set on the way today and to just put the old set in the box with the original handlebars for UPS to pick up (I don’t even have to address the box as they will have UPS show up with a shipping label).

There is no better feeling than dealing with a company who not only produces a quality product but clearly takes pride in the quality of service they provide their customers as well.  Not only does Mantis provide an excellent product, but top-notch service and support as well.

Finally, just as I would be happy to tell anyone who would listen when I have a poor customer experience, I will “tell the world” of exceptional service as well.  So I’m telling my story and work and it turns out that when my secretary worked for the Burpee Seed Company a few years ago, she worked with another woman who recently left Burpee to become the head of Customer Service for Mantis.  I told her to let her friend know what a wonderful job Mantis is doing and that they have a loyal customer in me.

LL

This message was modified Jun 6, 2005 by lland

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Replies: 5 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Torch

Re: Mantis Customer Service
Reply #5   Jun 8, 2005 1:52 pm
Just today I talked to a lady I work with about her Mantis tiller and she was telling me how impressed she was with it.  How it busts up anything.  I actually asked her to borrow it and she said "no."  I told her that was the proper response and that I wouldn't have taken it any way.  LL, how does the edger attachment work for you?  I'm looking into an edger and if this tiller is and the company operate as well as the claims, I think I may get one.

Torch 

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #6   Jun 8, 2005 2:09 pm
Torch wrote:
Just today I talked to a lady I work with about her Mantis tiller and she was telling me how impressed she was with it.  How it busts up anything.  I actually asked her to borrow it and she said "no."  I told her that was the proper response and that I wouldn't have taken it any way.  LL, how does the edger attachment work for you?  I'm looking into an edger and if this tiller is and the company operate as well as the claims, I think I may get one.

Torch 

These tillers are as good as they claim.  We sell these little tillers and have rave reviews, even from the professionals.  They are very impressed the way they break up whatever ground they come into contact with and the edger works just as well.

Sherri

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Jun 8, 2005 7:57 pm
Mini tillers...

Yes... real workhorses...!

I've owned / used full-size rear tine tillers for ~~15 years... I am totally surprised and impressed by the Honda FG 100 4-stroke mini-tiller (like the Mantis) I bought ~~ 2 1/2 years ago.. !

Carry it w/ one hand... runs and 'tills like a bear... rock jambs are tough to remove though...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

lland

Reply #8   Jun 9, 2005 6:41 am
1.  I called Mantis about the replacement replacement parts on Monday...they arrived Tuesday.

2.  I put the new parts on, no problem.

3.  They're sending UPS to pick up the old parts this coming Monday.

4.  The edger works well...my stick edger works a little better.  The Mantis edger will cut through anything but the stick edger leaves a slightly smoother edge.  If I didn't have the stick, I'd be happy with the Mantis.  I also have the aerator and dethatcher attachments but haven't used them yet.  I added the kickstand which while isn't necessary, is convenient.

5.  Some rock jams are tough to get out, some are easy.  Just pull the tines and work on the jam.  if it's really wedged in there, I use a crowbar.  No worry about hurting the tines, they have a lifetime gurarantee which I doube I'll ever need.  They appear to be pretty indestructable.

LL

Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #9   Jun 10, 2005 1:15 am
LL, did you have to buy the attachments seperate?  Will you have to be home for the pickup or can you just leave them on the front porch?

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

lland

Reply #10   Jun 10, 2005 6:40 am
Ajace,

The Mantis came with the border/edger.  I got the kickstand off eBay.  I bought the aerator/dethatcher from mayberrys.com (I called them to order) as they had a good deal.  I get a lot of packages and if nobody is home UPS (as does FedEx, DHL, etc.)  usually leaves by the front door or garage.  I've never had a problem.

LL

Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #11   Jun 10, 2005 6:54 am
Just out of curiousity, what's the Mantis tillers going for in the States?  I know in Nova Scotia they range between $450 and $495.  We're selling ours for $471.95 (+ the governments share - 15%) with the kickstand and edger.  I know of one company on PEI that sells them for $495 plus $30 shipping plus the governments share and only the edger kit if you are lucky.

Sherri

lland

Reply #12   Jun 16, 2005 4:52 pm
The 2-cycle Mantis typically sells for about $280 plus shipping (unless you buy it local),  The 4-cycle Honda powered Mantis, for about $350 or so, the electric Mantis, for $300.  All include the border/edger.

LL

Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #13   Jun 16, 2005 6:52 pm
About half the cost.  But after you take in the exchange I guess the cost is right on par.

Sherri

Replies: 5 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42