Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Mower for Hills

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lland

Mower for Hills
Original Message   May 22, 2005 8:28 am
A friend of mine has a house on a relatively steep hill and is looking for a mower.  He has a fair amount of land but not all of it is grass so he doesn't need anything too big.  In fact, he borrowed a 21" self propelled mower and said it only took him an hour or so but he also said it slipped quite easily when mowing across the hill and the wheel (rear wheel drive) spun often going up the hills.  He has no interest in riding and plans on mulching.  I don't think money (within reason) is an issue.

He also has a lot of shade so the grass doesn't grow all that fast.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

LL

This message was modified May 22, 2005 by lland

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Mower for Hills
Reply #2   May 22, 2005 11:21 am
Does he need to mow up and down or can he go side to side? The two stroke lawn boys were the thing to use but I don't know if you can get them anymore. Golf shoes? Toward the end of last year the OPE shop near me had a couple of Suzuki two stroke Toro mowers left. I think they were Suzuki. Anyway look quick. Soon they will all be gone forever, and for no good reason.
Termy

Reply #3   May 22, 2005 12:58 pm
Normaly, I would reccomend a self propelled unit but they have trouble going up steep hills because they were never made for it. Because you have a small place and don't need anything big, I would reccomend Please Click Here  Or  Please Click Here  Or  Please Click Here  Or  Please Click Here  I hope that one of those mowers suit your needs. Post back and let us know what you bought!
This message was modified May 22, 2005 by Termy

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   May 22, 2005 1:34 pm
I guess I'm different than Terms, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be pushing 70-85lb push mowers up hills. I like the Lawn Boy recommendation. Discharging or mulching might make it easier for him than bagging.
Termy

Reply #5   May 22, 2005 2:03 pm
The problem is that a Self Propelled mower will slip if the hill is too steep and you will end up pushing it anyway, the only difference is you will be pushing 80 to 85 pounds of weight vs 50 to 70 pounds in a push mower. Plus, if the hill that you are mowing is wet, than the wheels on a self propell will deffinetly slip and you will be really pushing it. I don't know, if you are a old person than I guess buy a self propell, if you are young or middle aged, than a push is good. look at it this way, which ever way you will go, you will get excersise! The ultimate mower for a hill is a ZTR with ATV tires and a 54inch deck.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #6   May 22, 2005 2:34 pm
Terminator20 wrote:
The problem is that a Self Propelled mower will slip if the hill is too steep and you will end up pushing it anyway, the only difference is you will be pushing 80 to 85 pounds of weight vs 50 to 70 pounds in a push mower. Plus, if the hill that you are mowing is wet, than the wheels on a self propell will deffinetly slip and you will be really pushing it. I don't know, if you are a old person than I guess buy a self propell, if you are young or middle aged, than a push is good. look at it this way, which ever way you will go, you will get excersise! The ultimate mower for a hill is a ZTR with ATV tires and a 54inch deck.

Well lets see here Termy, the Troy Bilt you posted a link to is 85 pounds and seeing as how it's an MTD, so is the Yard Man.

I would rather have the assistance of the tires pushing up hill, even if slipping some, than the whole weight being left up to me. I don't think age is as important of a factor as you might think. I'm 46 yrs old, more than twice your age, about 170 more in dog years. Guess that could be middle aged or old to you but don't bet against me.
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #7   May 22, 2005 2:51 pm
snowshoveler wrote:
if the lawn is not so big i would go with the smallest self propelled mower i could find.

light and easy to control are the features needed here .

you dont want it coming back on your toes ...and it happens way to often.

might take a few extra minutes to mow but much safer.

later chris

I'm no expert, but this makes sense to me, from someone who is.  Self propelled.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #8   May 23, 2005 1:40 am
I'd have to say 2 cycle is good, but if you don't want to mix, then buy another mower without Tecumseh engine. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Emmo

Reply #9   May 24, 2005 10:56 pm
I vote for Snapper self propelled with Kaw power (full pressure lube) or the Toro super recycler with Briggs OHV and full pressure lube.
mnott

Reply #10   Aug 29, 2012 5:13 am
Old thread, but easy solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz00uqWbdrI HTH, M
bus708

Reply #11   Oct 30, 2012 10:28 am
Try Ventrack. com they are designed for hills. Stiner.com is a cheaper version of the Ventrack by the sane designer. Both are great machines. Check them both out on u-tube
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42