Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Dremel blade sharpener

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Captain

Dremel blade sharpener
Original Message   May 22, 2005 1:06 am
Does anyone use the Dremel Tool lawnmower blade sharpening attachment ?. I saw one at HD for around $ 9.00. Seems like it would work ok ,but may be slow. If anyone has any favorable opinions on it I may go get one. 
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Re: Dremel blade sharpener
Reply #1   May 22, 2005 3:23 am
Yeah it's kinda like killin a large animal w/ a .22 .   Ya can do it, but it's gonna take a little while, and there are much easier ways of doing so.  Grab a nice bench grinder, shouldnt cost ya more than $50, an have at.
lland

Reply #2   May 22, 2005 8:09 am
I've sharpened plenty of moser blades with a Dremel, never used a sharpening guide (never had one).  It takes a while and really won't work well for very dull or dinged blades.  It would just take too long.  Lately, I've been using my grinder and finishing the edge with the Dremel.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #3   May 22, 2005 8:55 am
4 1/2 inch or 5 inch miny grinder will do a sweet job on blades .its what we use at the shop and i sharpen a lot of blades ..100s every year .and my sharpening is better than new guaranteed.takes a few tries to get the hang of it but once you have it you will like it.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Termy

Reply #4   May 22, 2005 1:27 pm
I just use a bench grinder too. Some will say they sharpen their blade via file. Do you know how long it take sto shapren a beat up blade with a file? A VERY LONG TIME! Just use a bench grinder and you will be happy

spottedpony

Reply #5   May 22, 2005 3:50 pm
i use a 4 inch right angle grinder, but a bench grinder will work as well, although to me its harder to manuver a a blade at the proper angle on a bench grinder. its much easier to clamp the blade in a vice & use the hand held grinder. what ever method you use though, some  points to keep in mind, are maintain the proper angle on the edge, usually 30 to 35 degrees, dont over heat the cutting edge as you grind, or you will lose the temper on the blade edge so it doesnt stay sharp as long. ( if using a bench grinder keep a can of water close to dip the blade in frequently, or if using a hand grinder with the blade in a vice, i find a spray bottle works well) & lastly dont forget to balance the blade,  this can be done with a bolt or steel rod the same diamter as blade bolt hole. insert the bolt in the blade and hold it so the blade swings free, the heavy end will drop, indicating the need to grind a bit more off the edge of(a little at a time here as it doenst take much to bring a blade into balance)  heavy end or if the blade is fairly well balanced it will remain level. blade balancers are also available but i find the rod or bolt method works as well. If ive happened to use a courser wheel on the grinder, sometimes i'll lightly file  for a smoother edge but with a med grit grinding wheel this really isnt necessary.
something else i do to extend the life of my mower blades, is after they have worn down, i'll run about 3 passes of hard facing welding rod on the blade edge & regrind. after hard surfacing the edges stay sharp longer & i get about double the blade life. again just remember to sharpen at the proper angle of 30 to 35 degrees. thats about the optimum angle to balance between blade sharpness and cutting edge life. a lesser angle will be sharper but ill dull faster, a greater angle will stay sharp longer, but not with as sharp a cutting edge.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   May 23, 2005 1:32 am
Very nice tips Spotted Pony.  I still don't sharpen my blades yet, but sometime I'll take it up.  I'd rather have it done by the pro and know it's supposed to be done right. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   May 24, 2005 8:33 pm
spottedpony...

Excellent post/advice !

Dave..

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Captain

Reply #8   May 24, 2005 11:00 pm
Thanks for all the opinions. I think I will buy a small  4.5 inch hand grinder to use. I have a bench grinder that I have used before to sharpen my blades, but like some of you said it is hard keep a proper angle. That is the reason I wanted to maybe use a Dremel because it always keeps the correct angle. Is  there some type of attachment you can use with a hand grinder to keep the same angle ?. What grit grinding disc do most of you use ?.    
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42