Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Walk behind

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
zonk3939

Toro Walk behind
Original Message   May 11, 2005 7:11 pm
I cant seem to get my Toro walk behind mower to run.It will start if zi spray gas in the carb,but the primer doesnt push gas into the carb,it only pumps air.Do I need a new carb and are they expensive? New mower instead?
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
mrmom

Re: Toro Walk behind
Reply #1   May 11, 2005 8:55 pm
You might just have to clean or rebuild the carb. Meaning opening up the carb and seeing what's clogged and cleaning and or replacing it. If you are not technical, you can take it to your local dealer / service center and they will gladly do it for you. Probably half an hour to an hour's worth of labor (depending on what they find).  Rates run the gamut of $40-$70 an hour plus parts depending on what part of the country you're in. Good luck!

Forgot to ask..... how old is it?

robmints

Reply #2   May 11, 2005 9:04 pm
buttlint

Reply #3   May 11, 2005 9:24 pm
Zonk,
IF.................priming is the only problem that you are having.......
Remove the air filter cover, the air filter, and then the backing plate too the air cleaner. (3 - 5/16 screws.)
Between that backing plate...and the carb face...there is a (1) gasket. (Get (2) of those gaskets and replace them.)
Those gaskets deteriorate and....the backing plate warps. The extra gasket helps seal the warpage and allows a positive charge of air too enter the bowl..and push the fuel into the throat of the carb.
IF.....you dont see the fuel squirting into the thoat of the carb...you could have other problems. Then we go from there.

Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #4   May 11, 2005 9:56 pm
zonk, as you can see from my previous post, i just had the carb replaced on my 10+ yr old GTS 450 Toro. I'm still finding it hard to start. The carb replacement cost me about $150. Like someone said, be sure you troubleshoot for a different source of your problem.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
zonk3939

Reply #5   May 12, 2005 5:41 am
Thanks for the replys.The mower is about 6 years old,but its in great shape other than the inability to start.

I took the carb apart and cleaned everything..it doesnt seem to have any restrictions to gas flow anywhere.'

It has a black primer "button" on the carb that is used to prime the carb before its starts,I did notice a couple of what looked like very small holes in the rubber.I`m wondering if thats my problem,and if so,are they a hard replace? Part to get?

mrmom

Reply #6   May 12, 2005 8:15 pm
That may very well be your problem. Since there are holes, it is not creating enough vacuum to suck then push the gas in as you prime. Hence your getting only air when you try to prime it as you stated in the first post. Good detective work! If you can take the carb out and do what you did, you shouldn't have a problem replacing that part.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42