Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Lock Tight

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Termy

Lock Tight
Original Message   May 6, 2005 1:29 pm
I need to get myself some Lock Tight. More spacifically, the blue glue kind that you can break if you need to. My problem is, I don't know where to buy this stuff online. Can someone give me a link to a website that sells Lock Tight?

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Re: Lock Tight
Reply #6   May 6, 2005 5:01 pm
Dont use red if ya ever wanna get it off!!!  Permatex red is for permanent locking in high heat situationssuch as a motor mount on a car.  If the screw your using it on has a screw head, you will never get it off.  nut head, w/ a torch and some leverage on socket wrench, you'll probably be able to crack it.  Often the bolt just sheers irtself in half instead of coming loose.   Use BLUE only for what you are doing.  If your auto part store doesnt have blue, go else where, or tell them to get w/ the program, and get some!!
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #7   May 6, 2005 5:06 pm
Also if you went there and asked for blue and they sold ya red, the guy at the Napa should be slapped!!!  Show him the difference by putting some Permatex Red in his ignition switch.  
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   May 6, 2005 5:07 pm
Termy, unless I'm mistaken, that engine shouldn't vibrate enough to do that, hand tightened is all they should need.
Emmo

Reply #9   May 6, 2005 5:16 pm
Mine doesn't do that, but what about a lock washer under the knob instead of loctite??
Termy

Reply #10   May 6, 2005 6:45 pm
I know what you are saying Marshall. I do know the difference between the blue, red, and green. Here is the thing, I will never need to remove or fold the handles so I was fine with that. But, if for some for seeable reason I need to remove the handles some day, all I have to do is heat it up to around 400 to 500 degrees. But, seriously, I don't think I am ever going to do that. Plus, I only put 4 drips of that stuff on the entire bolt so I may be able to get it off with heavy mussle power which I do have lol.

Termy

Reply #11   May 6, 2005 6:53 pm
Emmo wrote:
Mine doesn't do that, but what about a lock washer under the knob instead of loctite??

I think thats why it was doing that, I think all 4 needed lock washers but locktight was a easier solution for me, especially if I never plan to remove the handles.

itzbinnice

Reply #12   May 6, 2005 6:56 pm
Marshall wrote:
Termy, unless I'm mistaken, that engine shouldn't vibrate enough to do that, hand tightened is all they should need.

Marshall I don't think it's so much the engine vibration that's causing it,  more likely the constant manuevers on turns and backups. I lost one and replaced it, dropped another one but found and really cranked them home tight , haven't lost one since. The lockwasher suggestioin sounds like a  simple logical fix.

robmints

Reply #13   May 6, 2005 7:01 pm
T20,
The handles have bolts that have heads that form fit the handles, so they will not loosen. The nuts are wing nuts. If you take a small black cable tie and wrap it between the wings and around the handles, they will not loosen, until you cut them. The black will not show, and is UV resistent.
Termy

Reply #14   May 6, 2005 7:53 pm
Thanks for the tip but I already applied the locktight long time ago. And your probably right, the constant manuvers probably loosened them and then the vibration took care of the rest. All I know is, I did not want to tighten the crap load out of them for fear that I might strip them! But that cable idea seemed interesting as I was reading your post. Well, I have a shop the sise of a two bay garage that can hold two large trucks so, I have enough space to hold a mower without folding the handle bars lol.

spottedpony

Reply #15   May 6, 2005 9:08 pm
aircraft type locking nuts would work too.....and not be so difficult to remove
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42