Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Bought a Honda HRX mower....

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JohnEDavies

Bought a Honda HRX mower....
Original Message   May 3, 2005 3:22 pm
I was thinking about a castor equipped mower for my small back yard until I got to looking at them, and I realized that the front wheels extend to the side so far when turning that they don't necessarily help to get the deck closer to a curb. So I decided to get a conventional mower. I ended up with the HXA model:
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=HRX217HXA

Here's why I chose it:

Very smooth and quiet. Zero vibration from the engine. Instantaneous start with a light pull.
Blade clutch lets you walk around the mower without shutting down the engine
Hydrostatic drive is very nifty - zero to 4 mph and everything in between (I found the slowest speed in the 3 speed model to be too fast.)
Plastic deck with 5 yr warranty
VersaMow mulching system is way cool.
Price was $699 plus $20 for setup and a free 2 year service contract from my local Honda dealer. Home Depot has them for $699 in the box.
It just appeals to me like no other mower I have seen - it seems like a really fine piece of engineering, and I really like the safety features and low noise and emissions.

Here's an interesting page describing the marketting blitz Honda started a couple of years ago to push this line of mowers - it's kind of scary to read about:
http://www.jaddams.com/case_histories.pdf

And here's the fancy-shmancy website Honda created to brainwash us all:
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/hrx/

I guess it worked on me - my brain feels very clean. Now I just need to get the sod onto my bare dirt back yard so I can try this thing out! I'll post a review when I have a few hours on the mower. BTW, I ordered the optional stainless side guards for $15 - they bolt onto the deck edges to prevent scarring from concrete mowing borders.

Boy is my wife pissed!!! She'll change her mind when she uses this the first time....

John
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Bought a Honda HRX mower....
Reply #1   May 3, 2005 4:36 pm
Welcome to the pissed off OPE wife crowd. LOL    I've been there.

That Honda is a very nice mower, enjoy it and do a review in the review section please.

Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Re: Bought a Honda HRX mower....
Reply #2   May 3, 2005 5:05 pm
I think my wife gave up after this past week. What a gal.
Sounds like a primo mower john. I like the idea of the stainless side guards. Post a pic when you can.

Good luck with it,   Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42