Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buy a new Snapper or Repair the old one?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
davec

Buy a new Snapper or Repair the old one?
Original Message   May 2, 2005 12:46 pm
I have an old snapper hi-vac, 5 hp Briggs engine.  I have replace the differential and now the drive plate has gone out.  Should keep repairing it or go for a new one? If I go for a new one, which engine?  There are 3 engines listed:

6.5-hp Briggs & Stratton Quantum
7-hp Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV
6-hp Kawasaki OHV

I have a pretty small lawn,  but also use the mower to suck up leaves in the fall

Replies: 5 - 14 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
davec

Re: Buy a new Snapper or Repair the old one?
Reply #5   May 2, 2005 2:13 pm
$28 for a new drive plate, $5-10? for a new belt.  I am just thinking, what is next? When do you bail out.  I got the mower from my son-in-law,  I think it has been used about 10 years, engine seems OK so I am leaning towards repair.  Any thoughts on what else can go wrong?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #6   May 2, 2005 2:17 pm
davec wrote:
$28 for a new drive plate, $5-10? for a new belt.  I am just thinking, what is next? When do you bail out.  I got the mower from my son-in-law,  I think it has been used about 10 years, engine seems OK so I am leaning towards repair.  Any thoughts on what else can go wrong?

Check  the rest of the mower because if it's in decent shape I would repair it for that cost, especially since the engine seems good. There's not much left that would be expensive to fix anyway.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   May 2, 2005 4:12 pm
I have a mid 70's or so Snapper self-propelled walk-behind.  The deck and the whole structure of the mower is in very good shape as is the paint.  The engine has seen better days, so I'll replace that and practically have a used mower in very good condition. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

buttlint

Reply #8   May 2, 2005 6:55 pm
Dave,
Drive disks are a pretty common repair on those.
Check the drive tire also....they are normal wear items.
Check all of the exposed bearings on the drive system....and on the wheel adjusters/axles...they run dry and depending on use, they sometimes start loosing thier $#%*.
Check the wheel treads....they have hollow core wheels and can get quite thin until they break through and split.
And if....this unit has been use with "Ninja" blade for any length of time....Check that the carb mounting bracket hasnt loosened. (You can grab the air filter housing and try and move it up and down.) That bracket has been know too loosen and break the intake tube.(running lean and sucking in dirt) The bracket mounting bolt can also break off into the engine...and it's a big expense too repair.
Getting parts is not a problem with those...OEM parts are still available....and lots of aftermarket stuff also that should be available for years too come.
If you could post your engine model, type and code (On the front of the starter housing, above the spark plug.) we can tell how old this unit is...which might help determine what will go next.
Posting the snapper model numbers (On top of the deck...behind the engine.) also helps. HTH.
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #9   May 3, 2005 9:19 am
davec wrote:
I have an old snapper hi-vac, 5 hp Briggs engine.  I have replace the differential and now the drive plate has gone out.  Should keep repairing it or go for a new one?
I vote to repair the old one AND get a new one. That way you have a backup in case one is down for repairs. I'd probably go for the 6.5 Briggs, I'm not a big fan of Kawasaki (I know that puts me in the minority).

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
davec

Reply #10   May 3, 2005 12:36 pm
BL,

Thanks, carb mount seems fine.  I will grease all the bearings.  Before the drive plate bearing went South, I thought the engine sounded bad, but it must have been the bearing.  Now it sounds fine.  More pluses for keeping it.  The model is RP21500 and the purchase date is 1993.  BTW purchase price was $469, so adjusting for inflation, they are cheaper now.

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #11   May 4, 2005 3:24 am
Go out and buy a new one.  Spend more than you wanted to, but not more than you can afford.  I just bought a Honda 450  Bike today on a whim, when i took my kid to get a few new parts for his bike.  We only come around once.  We bust our azzes every day.  We deserve a few perks here and there when the wifee cant say nayyy.  My motto is, if I have an excuse why I need it, I'll buy it.  As far as the 450 goes, w/ my back pain and all gettin worse as I get on in years, I need the quality of a Honda 450 to soothe it..  Hell I was gettin Siatica on my old one, and we cant have that, now can we?!!!

Incidently of the engines you mentioned, I'd go w/ the Kawy.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #12   May 4, 2005 9:22 am
PICS!! 
Termy

Reply #13   May 4, 2005 4:21 pm
Marshall wrote:
PICS!! 

I agree, it would be nice to see some pics

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #14   May 4, 2005 5:14 pm
Dont have any of my own pics yet, but heres a pic of the CRF 450 I bought.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/reviews/honda02cr450/test/gallery/zDSC_0090.jpg.html

Replies: 5 - 14 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42