Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Dig with care!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Dig with care!
Original Message   Apr 30, 2005 11:28 pm
Hi Guys!

I decided to  install edging around the shrub beds on my property instead of just deep edging . Last year I scalped the lawn next to the beds several times when the front wheel of my 21" walk behind went over the edge. Not a difficult job but I never realised that the cable TV line is burried less than 4" below the surface. I cut the line in several spots knocking out my TV and internet service.

I missed the trouble on this site and some important Emails which has caused me further embarassment. Not to mention the strain that not  having TV places on your marriage.

The cable guy told me I should have called before starting to dig so they could come out and mark the line. I told him the cable should be burried deeper than one shovel's depth. He responded by telling me that the code calls for a minumum of TWO inches.

To add insult to injury they are sending me a bill for $39.95.

Not a great couple of days,

Marc  

This message was modified Apr 30, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Dig with care!
Reply #10   May 1, 2005 8:09 pm
My telephone people came out once with a battery operated voltage detector/meter to hunt for the line, turned out it had been buried so deep the meter didn't find it. It got a faint beep once but after digging we turned up nothing. They went back and got a bigger one, more sensetive, and finally found it. It was buried 2 feet deep. Guess the Ditch Witch guy went a little overboard.
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #11   May 1, 2005 9:36 pm
Hi. I'm just curious as to what a "ditch witch" is.

Thanks,  Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #12   May 1, 2005 9:42 pm
Vangellis wrote:
Hi. I'm just curious as to what a "ditch witch" is.

Thanks,  Kevin

Trenchers. Would have been useful in high school. LOL 

http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Category/CategoryView/2
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #13   May 1, 2005 9:53 pm
Marshall, I'm not a mind reader but I see a lot of detentions back in your days in school.... LOL

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
lland

Reply #14   May 2, 2005 3:02 pm
Before I paid the bill, I'd call the cable company and ask for copies of their underground intallation specs.  They should have a document stating how deep the cable should be buried under different conditions (although I'd guess they won't be willing to share it).  Then call the town zoning office and ask about standards for buried cable.  I'd be willing to bet they have them and are willing to share.  If either one is deeper than 4", send the cable company a bill for "shallow cable burial detection services."

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
jubol

Reply #15   May 2, 2005 3:24 pm

Sorry about your dig!!

Here in Delaware, each county has a Miss Utility office,

Call in, give your address, project involved in, and they come out and mark your yard!!

Saves you and  them money and resources.

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #16   May 2, 2005 8:02 pm
Hi Guys!

1)Cable won't let you hook up to the terminal box but they will let you bury the cable. Therefore you have to make an appointment for them to drop the cable, another appointment for them to hook it up and since the hookup box is on someone elses property (one box for every two houses) while they have permission to dig on someone elses property you do not. Too much trouble and too much TIME. My marriage couldn't stand the strain of no TV for that long!! 

2)LL- Would love to send them that Bill. Reminds me of an issue I had with the phone company. When my house was being built I made an appointment for the phone company to wire all the rooms for jacks. They didn't show up for a Friday appointment and the dry wall was being installed on Monday. Saturday I bought a  roll of four conductor wire and did it myself  to avoid exposed wire. Some time after I moved in  the phone company called me and told me my bill was being increased to reflect three extensions. I asked why and they said the phones were receiving signals over their wire which they had to maintain and they were entitled to an added fee. I agreed with them and then asked where I could send a bill for my wire which was carrying their signal to my extensions.

I was passed around to several supervisors and they said they would have to check with their Legal Dept. Called me back in a few days and said they wouldn't charge me if I didn't charge them. Only time I ever won an argument with a utility.

3) Fred- Thats my point! I'm going to call them every time I lift a shovel to deep edge a bed. They should really love that! Those lines need to be burried so that minor digging with a shovel.

Marc

This message was modified May 6, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
18Degrees

Reply #17   May 2, 2005 8:50 pm
Marshall wrote:

what is a ditch witch?                                I'll tell you--THEY ARE THE MOST MISABLE TRENCHERS KNOWN TO MAN.

They probably had a good original design that was cheapened up by upper management till it would only work on grass (i.e. NOT sand or clay). 

It has 3 wheels in which the small one near the digging chain keeps jumping into the trench-then the hunk-of-junk gets stuck.. I suffered many a day with our company's ditchwuss untill it finally died..  Rent a different looking one if you can.

18 degrees

This message was modified May 2, 2005 by 18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #18   May 6, 2005 5:23 pm
Forget CATV... go satellite ! 

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

jubol

Reply #19   May 6, 2005 5:34 pm
 Dave,

You forgot, electrical, phone, and gas lines!!!

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42