Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Opinion on Craftsmans 6.5 hp 21 in. mower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sully

Opinion on Craftsmans 6.5 hp 21 in. mower
Original Message   Apr 26, 2005 7:02 pm

Any opinions on the below lawn mower.  I have a small, flat lawn that does not require powered wheels.

Craftsman 6.5 hp, 21 in. Deck Rear Bag Push Lawn Mower

Sears item #07138885000 Mfr. model #38885

A 6.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine delivers the power for either option, rear bagging or mulching. Fresh Start fuel cap provides for improved starting with precise delivery of fuel stabilizer. The Dust Blocker rear bag gives exceptional bagging results. 8 in. front and rear wheels are more than the industry standard.

This message was modified Apr 26, 2005 by sully
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Opinion on Craftsmans 6.5 hp 21 in. mower
Reply #2   Apr 26, 2005 8:46 pm
Sully, does it meet your needs? Do you have a budget? How much land are you mowing? Do you want to mulch, bag or side discharge? Nothing wrong with them, they're a good value for the money.
robmints

Reply #3   Apr 26, 2005 9:02 pm
Marshall wrote:
Sully, does it meet your needs? Do you have a budget? How much land are you mowing? Do you want to mulch, bag or side discharge? Nothing wrong with them, they're a good value for the money.

I agree. Doesn't look too bad for $190. Just a picture on the net though. Didn't Dave have some trouble with the bag? Or did he love it? Can't remember.
Marshall

Reply #4   Apr 26, 2005 10:15 pm
One thing I have noticed on Craftsman and Murray lawn mowers is the handle cracking down by the area you tighten it up with the wing nuts, so to speak. Maybe others mowers have the same problem, I don't know? I have seen it happen on a quite a few of the brands I mentioned though. Maybe people tighten them too tight?
Termy

Reply #5   Apr 26, 2005 10:59 pm
Marshall... People do tighten them too tight. I have had 6 mowers brought into me total that have had that problem.

Marshall

Reply #6   Apr 26, 2005 11:27 pm
Thanks termy, I thought that might have something to do with it. Where's your shop?
Termy

Reply #7   Apr 26, 2005 11:47 pm
My shop is my garage. When we moved in, I converted that ugly carport into something useful. We had the garage enclosed with a great big automatic door, and we installed electrical. Then we installed a workbench and shelving. I now call it a shop with everything I need at my fingertips. I have a laptop inside the garage for typing in hours worked and documentation. If you would like to know more, PM me

Marshall

Reply #8   Apr 26, 2005 11:58 pm
Terminator20 wrote:
My shop is my garage. When we moved in, I converted that ugly carport into something useful. We had the garage enclosed with a great big automatic door, and we installed electrical. Then we installed a workbench and shelving. I now call it a shop with everything I need at my fingertips. I have a laptop inside the garage for typing in hours worked and documentation. If you would like to know more, PM me

What was the fix to those 6 broken handles.

Edit for not making sense.
This message was modified Apr 27, 2005 by Marshall
Termy

Reply #9   Apr 27, 2005 12:00 am
Answer given is...

JB Weld

Marshall

Reply #10   Apr 27, 2005 12:10 am
I figured that was the answer. I tried that as well on an old Murray, I had to use hose clamps ontop of the JB Weld.

That's a good place to start your shop and business.
This message was modified Apr 27, 2005 by Marshall
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #11   Apr 27, 2005 10:16 am
Hi...

I have a similar 3-4 year old Craftsman push mower... mow about 2,500-3,000 square feet... runs well...  no mechanical problems... wheels on mine are smaller diameter... dark green color...

The bagger on mine lets any dust blow right thru onto me... It's bad in this respect... I see the one you're looking at says... "The Dust Blocker rear bag gives exceptional bagging results"... hopefully this is a lot better...

To avoid a dust bowl when things are dry with or without the bagger... i bought a Brill reel mower... manually powered...

Mine has so-so deck suction with the standard blades... have to drop it to the lowest position to suck up any harder-to-pick-up stuff... but it bags the cut grass OK...

Dave...

This message was modified Apr 27, 2005 by Dave___in___CT

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42