Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Neuton cordless electric mower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JohnEDavies

Neuton cordless electric mower?
Original Message   Apr 25, 2005 12:46 pm
Yeah, I know it doesn't have a gas engine, but I was wondering if anyone can provide some feedback. The mower seems to get glowing reviews online.

My lawn is only about 1500 sq ft, dead flat and no trees or shrubs.  I don't need much of a machine for this little area, but I am attracted to the Neuton because it is really quiet,  has a quickly removable battery pack, a cool pivoting string trimmer/ edger attachment and it seems like just the thing for an itty bitty lawn. It bags or mulches , runs 1 hour on a charge and cuts 14 inches (pretty narrow). Also, I can send it back after 6 months if I don't like it, less about $40 S/H. Supposedly the motor produces the same peak torque (with a fresh charge) as a typical 5 bhp gas engine.

Anyone used one? Comments welcomed.

http://www.drpower.com/twoStepCategory.aspx?InqComplete=1&Name=NeutonMower2Step&SiteEntryMode=1

My alternative is a quality manual reel mower like the Brill Luxus 38 (15 inch). I'm not a rabid environmentalist, but I don't feel a gas mower is suitable for this lawn.

Thanks.

John Davies
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Re: Neuton cordless electric mower?
Reply #1   Apr 25, 2005 1:07 pm
I have no personnal experience with the Neuto mower, just wanted you to know that Black & Decker also makes a cordless mower, so you can compare prices and features. I think the B & D mower is 17" wide.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Termy

Reply #2   Apr 25, 2005 1:48 pm
I have used a Black & Decker cordless mower first hand. These mowers will not last anymore than 15 minutes on a full charge. And if you have tall grass, forget it. The only way this thing works good is if you keep your grass mowed down all the time to propper length. What you need more like is a electric mower. The difference is that a electric mower plugs into a outlet and has a little more power and won't give out in 15 minutes lol.

mrmom

Reply #3   Apr 25, 2005 2:32 pm
You might want to look into what type of battery they use. Wether it's Ni-Cad or NiMh. Ni-Cads won' last as long as NiMh types lifewise and tend to develop a 'memory effect' over time leading to lesser and lesser charge-holding ability. 

Now to just throw this in the mix, how about a robotic mower?

This message was modified Apr 25, 2005 by mrmom
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #4   Apr 25, 2005 2:33 pm
Hi John...

No information on the Neutron... sorry... but do have some advice... see what a replacement battery costs for it... usually expensive... they do have a life expectancy... see what this is...

I know from cordless drills I've owned... it's almost not worth buying a replacement battery (batteries)...  I end up buying a new drill kit with two batteries...

I own a Brill Luxus 38 for 2-3 years now... it's a super mower... very easy to mow with... if the grass is not tooo tall... the cutting blades do not contact the cutting bar... has ball bearings in the wheels... so it's low friction... should be easier to push mow with the light Brill than a heavier electric/battery mower (unless it's self-propelled)... ...and... the grass likes the cut better from a reel mower than from a rotoary cut... no expensive battery to rebuy either... less $$$... no whrilling rotoary blade to blow dust all over... quiet ! quiet ! quiet!

I use a gas 21" mower when I want to bag debris/leaves... had it before the Brill... have about 2500-3000 square feet to mow... some is slightly inclined...

I definately vote for the Brill... !

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

JohnEDavies

Reply #5   Apr 25, 2005 3:46 pm
mrmom wrote:
You might want to look into what type of battery they use. Wether it's Ni-Cad or NiMh. Ni-Cads won' last as long as NiMh types lifewise and tend to develop a 'memory effect' over time leading to lesser and lesser charge-holding ability

It's a sealed lead/acid, looks like a special design, $80:

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepModelDetail.aspx?Name=CEMSpareBattery&p1Name=NeutonMower2Step&Chap=CEMAccessories&BC=0%3aHome%7c3%3aNeutonMower2Step&LinkType=3

John
mookie2591

Reply #6   Mar 25, 2006 2:45 pm
Ok, I just got one a few hours ago, and I havnt gotten to test it out yet.  It was really easy to set up, and is really easy to operate.  The battery can supposedly can run for more than an hour, however takes 12 to charge.  Ill post another reply once i try it out.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42