Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > lawn tractor speeds

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

lawn tractor speeds
Original Message   Apr 23, 2005 6:12 pm
any one no the raitos for a ride on tractor -lawnmower what speeds can i get out of a go kart with 1 with a 11-16 hp motor. hey dont be laughing schools almost done lots of time before hockey schools start.

millwright

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Termy

Re: lawn tractor speeds
Reply #1   Apr 23, 2005 6:20 pm
The maximum that you would get out of a 16HP engine is probably 20MPH. But depending on the tranny you use, you may get 30MPH out of it. But a 11HP engine is not going to get you no more than 15MPH though.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   Apr 23, 2005 6:44 pm
Millwrite,

As you suspect, it mostly depends on gear reduction and torque converters used. With that much HP you can get speeds that will scare you if you desire. Not to be contrary to Termy but 30MPH is baby poop compared to what you can achieve if desired.

Here's a page that may be of assistance to you.

UBuildit Plans
millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #3   Apr 23, 2005 8:08 pm
Thanks guys torque O verters i have used  was tossing around some ideas may use 1 out af a sled motor and all.

millwright

skyking3

Reply #4   Apr 25, 2005 6:19 am
any way to mount a live axle................

you could then choose your ratio.....................

running go karts , a 14 tooth clutch gear with a 64 rear gear got me 65 mph on a 1/8 high banked racetrack...................

thats with a 5 hp briggs horizontal.............

the Slingshot has a 10 tooth clutch drum with a 52 rear gear and gets 55-60 mph on a 1/4 mile track....................

thats with a 20 hp v-twin briggs horizontal.......................

i have a gear ratio chart somewhere from kart racing that will give ratios if you need it........

bill

This message was modified Apr 25, 2005 by skyking3
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #5   Apr 25, 2005 10:18 am
My kids Odyssey has a 12HP engine and goes over 60MPH.  You can soup it up to go even faster.  Other kids ATV has a 150 cc enfgine goes about 55, soooooo   you can probably get about 70 or so out of that if ya gear it rite.   Have fun!!!
Termy

Reply #6   Apr 25, 2005 1:54 pm
Well, I did not know you were going to actually race these things. See, I thought you were just trying to build a joy ride vehicle. Your actually trying to race, well I guess Skyking knows all the ins and outs of that ha? Well, happy racing!

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42