Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Deere L118 v Husqvarna 1542XP

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Griffdogmaster

Deere L118 v Husqvarna 1542XP
Original Message   Apr 21, 2005 10:02 pm
I am going to buy one of these machines.  $2000 buys either at my local dealer.  I have tested both and they each have their little "seat of the pants" advantages to me.   Deere does not have an electric PTO or rear anti-scalp wheels or nose roller.  Deere has 7 more HP that Husqvarna.  How important are those features and the 7hp?  I mow 1 level acre with a 12 hp machine now.  WHICH MACHINE WOULD YOU BUY?
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Re: Deere L118 v Husqvarna 1542XP
Reply #1   Apr 21, 2005 10:21 pm
Hmm, thats a tuff one for me. I take it you can get parts for both from that dealer. That dealer is treating you good and you will continue to do business with them, if not where is the next closest dealer that sells parts for one of them if not both. The reason I say that is if the dealer you buy  from doesnt have the part in stock maybe another dealer close by that also sells that brand would.  That is just some of the things I would consider. I'm sure someone  that can tell you more about how each of them is built will be by shortly.  later Mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   Apr 21, 2005 11:09 pm
Me? I would buy the Husqvarna 1542XP without question and I like Deere products. I think it's one of the nicest lawn tractors in it's price range! Am I too much too the point?
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #3   Apr 23, 2005 12:37 pm
Hi Marshall. What are the features of the 1542XP that you like, besides maybe the Kawasaki engine. These are on the look at list.

Thanks,   Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Marshall

Reply #4   Apr 23, 2005 12:58 pm
Hi Kevin,

It's just has a a bunch of nice features for $2,000.00. It's  the "Lariat" of Craftsman Lawn Tractors.

• Kawasaki engine, very nice!
  • Hour meter in dash
  • Amp meter in dash
  • Electric PTO
  • Front bumper
  • High back seat
If I had up to 3K to spend would I buy something else? Yes.
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #5   Apr 23, 2005 1:53 pm
I think the 1542 xp is a good bang for the buck.

This one can be had for about $3000 or a little less.  Husqvarna 2254 xp
But for $3000 and change, (a lot of change) I can think of others also.

Kevin

This message was modified Apr 23, 2005 by Vangellis

Simplicity Conquest
Michael

Snow, What Snow?

Reply #6   Apr 23, 2005 11:50 pm
Me, I would buy the Deere,  The reason is that even with the sweet engine the Husky has I have had my share of problems with the Husqvarna (Sears) with poorly designed small parts (they tend to be undersized and then You spend dollars after the warranty replacing parts that are again undersized and the same problems appear) while my Deere has never had a major problem (a rib nut came off and the mulch plug strap broke in the last 2 years).  I have basically the same model but a larger deck and electric PTO a L120 that is 2 years old and it has stood up to a lot abuse in my old converted pasture.  I end up mowing from the end of Feb to middle of November every year and only this spring after a 150 hours did I have to replace the blades as I finally could not sharpen them (thats impressive to me)  My old Craftsman had to have new blades every year and I never Could keep a good edge on them.  I am now really seeing a lot of my neighbors going green after having a lot of Craftsman tractors before.  I was one of the first in my neighborhood to have a L-series and everyone was impressed by the mowing job a triple blade tractor can do and it has never failed me yet.

Kubota L-185 w/ FEL

John Deere L120 Lawn Tractor

Marshall

Reply #7   Apr 24, 2005 9:37 am
Micheal, good testament to the Deere! The L120 is a nice machine. I hear people speak of the weak front deck hanger but I have never heard anyone say that theirs has broken? Your thoughts?
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42