Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > horizontal shaft Briggs, no power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
davisah

horizontal shaft Briggs, no power
Original Message   Apr 10, 2005 6:57 pm
Could anyone suggest a fix? I have a small, horizontal shaft Briggs-Stratton engine that I'm trying to set up in a minibike for my son. The model number on the fan/starter cover suggests that it came from a vertical shaft engine at some point so I really do not know the model or power rating.

The carb sits on top of the gas tank and has 2 tubes that extend into the tank. The is one carb adjustment screw on the side of the carb. There is a device at the end of the carb that is manually pulled while cranking that appears to richen the mixture for starting. There is a cover on the carb that opens up to reveal a thin rubber diaphram with a spring underneath it. The pickup tubes that insert into the gas tank appear to be clean.

Here's the problem. The engine will start and it will idle. However, it will not rev up when the throttle is opened. Turning the adjustment screw does not remedy the problem.

Barring a solution, can anyone suggest a source for a relatively inexpensive 3.5 hp vertical shaft engine, 3/4" shaft with key? Jack's Small engines sells them new for $200.00. I'd like to get one for less$$.

Thanks in advance.
Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
davisah

Re: horizontal shaft Briggs, no power
Reply #7   Apr 16, 2005 2:38 pm
Took everyone's advice. Cleaned the carb and tank, replaced carb/tank gasket, diaphram, intake gasket and the jet and jet assembly. Started and reved right up.
Thanks for the help.
jubol

Reply #8   Apr 16, 2005 2:51 pm
 DAVISAH,

Welcome to the forum!!

Stick with us and you will learn a great deal.

I learn something new every day here!!!

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Termy

Reply #9   Apr 17, 2005 1:20 pm
I am glad you got this fixed! I knew the carb was the culprit. Thoes little carbs can be a pain in the but sometimes.

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #10   Apr 18, 2005 6:47 pm
DAVISA---WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND IT MAKES US FEEL  GOOD TO KNOW YOU CORRECTED YOUR PROBLEM.  MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND WILL BE CONVERSING AGAIN----WILL

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42