Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro/ Troy Bilt Tractor

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Toro/ Troy Bilt Tractor
Original Message   Apr 15, 2005 10:42 pm

I need some help with my father in law’s Toro/ Wheel Horse tractor.  He tried to start it a few days ago- only a click.  Bad battery, he thought.  Not so.  New battery, still only a click. 

I was over his house for a scotch this evening when he dropped this bomb. 

Symptoms: Headlights do not work.  All fuses are OK.  New battery is strong at 12V.  When starting, voltage seems to drop to about 8V (his meter is suspect, but it seems like starter is stuck?). 

After cursory look-see, engine is Briggs Vanguard vertical shaft, 12-16 HP? 

Please help me retain my #1 son-in–law status (I already fixed a pull starter on a tiller that another son-in-law broke). 

Is a Briggs starter simple to diagnose? 

Any ideas? 

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Toro/ Troy Bilt Tractor
Reply #2   Apr 16, 2005 12:29 am
Try tapping the starter with an object, enough to make the starter free up, but not break it.  I am thinking the wiring system might not be getting grounded properly. 
This message was modified Apr 16, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #3   Apr 16, 2005 12:59 am
Boy I sure remember the days when i was like 16-17, life was good, but beer money was tough to come by.  Must of got 50+ starts outa my starter w/ a rusty, old, oversized crescent wrench.  I got to be really smooth, I could support my back from even draggin the gravel if I had a nice shirt on, by wrapping my left arm around the floor board, as I slung under and gave one to 2 wraps w/ the wrench on the starter as my friend, or date fired her up.  Best were the one timers!!!! 
Termy

Reply #4   Apr 16, 2005 1:02 am
It sounds like your sylinoid has taken a dump. But to make sure we cover all the bases, check all the wireing as Ajace suggested and make sure everything is ok. Also make sure there is not a forign object in between the flywheel and the startor gear. Let us know how it goes

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #5   Apr 16, 2005 7:44 am
i would first check the ground wire from the battery to the frame rail.

this can sometimes get a bit of corrosion and cause a problem.

please do not HIT a starter,the magnets are ceramic in nature and are very easily broken.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
spottedpony

Reply #6   Apr 16, 2005 8:34 am
If its not a grounding problem, it could  be a bad ignition switch also. I dont think its the starter solonoid though, a bad solonoid shouldnt cause the headlights to not operate. an easy test is use a jumper wire from the battery, to the starter switch terminal on the solonoid. Assuming the battery is at full charge, this will engage the solonoid and spin the starter, thus eliminating a bad battery ground and assuring solonoid is in fact ok. the next step would be to locate the battery wire and starter wire on the ignition switch (they should be marked on the back of the switch) and using the jumper wire to connect them, if the starter spins, then the ignition switch is bad. (ive replaced 2 ignition switches on my rider in the last 5 years)
RalphS

Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #7   Apr 16, 2005 8:41 am
Thanks for the starting points.  I didn't have any tools with me (as I said, we went over for drinks) so did limited checks.  I already lightly tapped the starter- no change.  In my quick look, I did see a bunch of wires rubbing hard against the block, but no obvious breaks/ shorts (so much for the dealer working on this).  FIL thinks the solenoid was replaced last year, he is checking his records.   I feel awful, as FIL is retired on limited income.  He thinks the dealer is his best friend, as it only costs a few hundred each year to maintain.  I'll fix it for a scotch or two. 

The tractor started fine last year- this is a new problem. 

I just couldn't get too much into it last night.  I'm bringing my tools over this afternoon. 

One question- can you access and/or remove the starter without taking the engine shroud off? 

Thanks to all-

I will keep posted.

Ralph

AJace

Reply #8   Apr 16, 2005 2:54 pm
I'm sorry as I didn't realize the danger in tapping the starter.  I learn something new all the time here. 

RalphS

Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #9   Apr 16, 2005 3:49 pm
I'm back from FIL's.  Starter was stuck.  A little bit of WD-40 down the starter shaft (that's all he had), and a little bit of patience.  Just about gave up and went home, but tried it one last time and it started to move.  Battery was kind of run down at that point, so put it on charger for 30 minutes.  It reluctantly started, but subsequent starts were easier. 

I'm ordering a new starter for him anyway. 

Also looked at his Honda lawnmower that runs fine for a few (3-5 minutes), thensurges a bit then stalls.  I could only duplicate the stall thing once, then it ran OK.  Still surged.  It did this all last year, until he gave up on it and started using an old push mower he had.  Are Honda mowers inclined to surge a little? 

He's really happy, even though I really didn't touch the Honda much. 

Thanks for the advice.

Ralph

AJace

Reply #10   Apr 16, 2005 4:36 pm
Glad it was a simple fix to get you going. 

Termy

Reply #11   Apr 17, 2005 1:58 am
Honda engines have a choke system. It is possible that the choke is choking half way causing the surging. Or it could be the carb needs a good cleaning, jets and all. My landlord had a Honda mower that was getting harder and harder to start. But before that problem it surged some, when I took it apart, I found that it needed a new choke. Once installed, the engine ran like a champ.

I would first however, take apart the carb and clean throughly jets and all, little holes in the adjusting screws aswell, with automotive Goumout Spray. Warning...Please use protective goggles when using this product. Then if you have access to compressed air, I would shoot some in all the spots and holes of the carb as a finnish on the clean. Put the carb back together as was before and start the engine. Now how does it sound? Make sure you adjust the carb accordingly to the manual for that engine.

Let us know how it goes...

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42