Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help on Lawn Tractor Purchase

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Griffdogmaster

Help on Lawn Tractor Purchase
Original Message   Apr 15, 2005 3:49 pm
I mow close to acre, which is relatively flat and open but has some trees and other obstacles to go around (no fences or gates to deal with).  I tow a dump cart with topsoil or rocks a few times a year as well.  I usually bag the grass clippings.  I currently use an old 40" 12hp Murray that I am getting tired of repairing.  I was looking to spend $1500-2500 on a new rider.  I have 3 questions for the experts:

1.  Should I look for a 42" or 48" mower?

2.  I have looked at a Husq YTH 2048 with a 48" cut and 20hp Briggs ELS which is on special for $1900 including the 3 bin bagger, the 1542XP with the 42" cut and 15hp Kawasaki which is $2270 with a 2 bin bagger, and the 1848XP with the 18HP Kawa and 48" cut for $2569.  Do you think the 1848XP is worth a 35% premium over the 2048 with the Briggs?

3.  What else should I be looking at in this price range?

Thanks.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Help on Lawn Tractor Purchase
Reply #4   Apr 15, 2005 7:42 pm
I don't see the YTH 2048 listed anywhere on the Husky website.  Pick the one you are most comfortable with and feel like a king on. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

robmints

Reply #5   Apr 15, 2005 8:29 pm
1. In most cases, get as big a deck as practical.

2. The Husqvarna machines look very nice. I really like the mowing decks. Don't know how they cut, but they look very well made. I don't think I would buy a machine just for the engine. I really like the YHP because of the Kawasaki. But if I was going to pay more I might just as well consider the Husqvarna GT with the ELS or Kohler.

3. We don't have a Simplicity dealer. The Deere LT's look nice to me, and the 2500 Cubs look good too. Haven't seen much of the 2100 Cub's, execpt my neighbors, it has a 12.5 Kohler, and seems under powered. The other parts seem to hold up OK, I guess it's 10 years old or so.

Good luck with your search. It can be a lot of fun.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   Apr 15, 2005 8:45 pm
The Craftsman/Husky decks don't cut perfect as I know because I own one.  Other than that, it is the best tractor I have owned. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

robmints

Reply #7   Apr 15, 2005 8:59 pm
Ajace,
The decks on the Craftsman and the Husqvarna machines I have seen are not the same. Maybe it's just the roller mountings. But the rollers adjust with pins. You don't need to unbolt anything.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Apr 15, 2005 9:27 pm
Welcome,

All good advice! Two blade decks will bag better than three blade decks. A three blade deck requires a blower, many times. You definately want high-lift blades regardless of deck size.

That 1542XP is impressive to me. I have a 15HP Kohler and I am turning a single 33" blade, that's a big ol blade to turn, it does it with ease though it doesn't have a hydro tranny to contend with. I believe the 15HP Kawasaki is plenty. You'll probably end up using a Gator or Predator blade anyway which means you'll bag very little.

I also like the Deere LT 150 upgraded to the 42C deck, the LT160 42C, the Simplicity Regent or Massey twin brother, and the Cub LT 2042 with a drive shaft. All have there little advantages, look them over and see what you think's best.

Oh yea, I would look into muching before I spent bagger money.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #9   Apr 16, 2005 7:49 am
its my turn...

the husky deck has 4 guage wheels and a nose roller. properly setup it wil have a nice quality of cut. the craftsman does not have this option.

if at all interested the husky xp with the kawasaki...you have to start the tractor,you really need to hear it.

the kohler is a good motor but its a lot louder than the kawi,and the strange thing is they have the same muffler.

any questions class.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Termy

Reply #10   Apr 17, 2005 1:24 pm
Hay Marshall, I did a test once with my Murray RER before the engine pooped out. It used a 30 inch blade. The 8HP engine only had so much for cutting grass with a blade that sise. So what did I do? I installed a 22inch blade found on a walk behind and that thing all the sudden could cut through 8 inch tall grass versus the limiting 5 inch it could do before lol.

uc113

Reply #11   Apr 17, 2005 9:29 pm
I have the Husq 1542XP and for the money it is the best mower out there.  It cuts very well if you adjust the deck properly (should be handled by your dealer), and the Kawasaki motor is awesome.  Sure you can spend more on other machines that may be better, but for this price range it is difficult to beat.  I am goin on three years now with this machine and I researched it as well as spoke to several dealers who sold several different makes of machines and they aall said for the moeny this is the one you want.  I don't think you will be disappointed.
Griffdogmaster

Reply #12   Apr 18, 2005 10:24 am
Thanks for all your comments.  I looked at the Cubs and Deere's this weekend.  The Cub's I decided against, and the Deere's are a consideration, although the L118 is about as expensive as I care to get once I add a bagger.  I'm going to check out Simplicity this week and see if they have anything of interest.  I keep being drawn back to the Husq 1542XP though, so I suspect that will end up being the winner.
sc872

Reply #13   Apr 18, 2005 10:00 pm
I purchased a Cub Cadet  2544 today and have to say after looking at the huskys and other brands it was a really easy decision for me to make this purchase.  I have owned the lower end mowers before and I dont want to own them any longer.  Looks like Cub put some really nice features on these mowers.  Make sure you look at them before you buy any thing else.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42