Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Troublesome auger

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Troublesome auger
Original Message   Dec 26, 2004 11:29 am
I have a gnashing noise when I engage the auger on my snowthrower. All the belts and pulleys are adjusted properly.The pulleys and sheaves are running true and are secure on their shafts. All the tensions are correct. The gearbox is filled with 90wt.hypoid to the proper level. The auger is properly greased and free on it's shaft and the shear pins are the correct ones for the machine.They are not grooved and are torqued to 11ft.lbs as called for in the manual.The brake arm is adjusted to 1/4" clearance with the handle depressed as called for in the manual.There is about 1/32" lash in the auger which seems to be normal for this kind of set up. I drained the gearbolx and poured the oil in front of a flashlight and found no metal fillings so I assume the gears are ok.The machine has about ten hours on it and and has made the noise from new.

The unit is a TroyBilt 42010 .It is the last of the Gardenway produced machines before MTD bought the name.I bought it at a deep discount in a crate in 1997 and used it for the first time last year. I did the assembly myself according to the assembly manual and no short cuts were taken.The noise has been present ever since the first use. The machine works flawlessly but the noise bothers me as I am afraid something is amiss. Any suggestions?

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
TheKneebiter

Re: Troublesome auger
Reply #10   Dec 26, 2004 10:33 pm
my old ariens 7hp makes a noise when i first pull the clutch. kind of a whoosh or gnash. it is 30 years old and has always done it with no problems ever. i think what you have is normal.

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #11   Dec 26, 2004 10:39 pm
You know I have been thinking about this post all evening and without seeing and hearing for myself I too was thinking it may be normal.....

More opinions to come from those more in the know.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Termy

Reply #12   Dec 26, 2004 11:42 pm
I think it might be normal too. On a mower such as a Kabota rider, when you pull the PTO clutch lever, it will squeel for a second and stop. Its the sound of the belts sliding on the pullies for a second. Mabie what you have is simular going on. Does anyone agree?

Cajunblu

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Reply #13   Dec 27, 2004 6:04 am
[quote]

Cajunblu- A gnashing noise would approach the sound of rubbing the head of a bolt across the ribbed metal surface of the washboards I've seen used in Zydeco music.

Marc[/quote]

Sorry if I didn't know what "gnashing " was but if you had said like Zydeco music I would have known what you were talking about and broke out with my "hanky" and started to "line dance" to Mardi Gras Mambo and pas a good time char ......LOL

Sorry I was trying to post a pic of a cajun wash board but wasn't able to. Boy does this forum SUCK when it comes to posting.

Robert

OK thanks to Faithful Frank, and TomP. I now Know how to post pics. So this forum no longer SUCKS when it comes to posting pics

This message was modified Dec 27, 2004 by Cajunblu

Craftsman 888531 9/28 Easy Steer.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles,
and the letters get in the wrong places"

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #14   Dec 27, 2004 11:38 am
Robert, what browser are you using?
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #15   Dec 27, 2004 12:16 pm
MM14: Take off belt guard. start motor and let it idle. BE CAREFUL!!!. Engage auger belt slowly. Look very carefully!!! Does anything move slightly forward or backward? Shaft moving foreward or backward? Impellor moving foreward or backward? Check inside of impellor housing, does it look like metal scraping metal. Piece in the shaft that set screw tightens against too far in or out and is rubbing against belt guard? Recheck all adjustments, maybe something slipped during assembly? Roll pin slightly bent? Sheet metal straight?

Am running out of swag (silly wild a$$ guesses) Hope you find out soon!!

T.J. terry

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #16   Dec 27, 2004 7:47 pm
Spent the day disassembling /reassembling my blower. No bent roll pins or areas where rotating parts are rubbing.Before taking the machine apart I did take off the belt housing cover and looked for the problem with the engine running.Nothing is moving back and forth,all of the bearings pass inspection and the alignment of all the blades seems to be ok.

The bad news is that after taking a whole lot of time and care tearing it down and putting it back together the noise is still there! The good news is I am now fully familiar with my machine.

Either the problem will become worse and the cause more obvious or I'm just going to have to learn to live with that noise.

Thanks to all for the effort on my behalf,

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Marshall

Reply #17   Dec 27, 2004 8:29 pm
I wouldn't worry about it anymore, sounds like it's just is a part of it.
Cajunblu

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Reply #18   Dec 28, 2004 1:16 am
Marshall wrote: Robert what browser are you useing.

Robert replied: IE

Craftsman 888531 9/28 Easy Steer.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles,
and the letters get in the wrong places"

Marshall

Reply #19   Dec 28, 2004 10:35 am
Robert I was because of the PIC problem you were having, you have since figured it out.
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42