Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking to buy a new mower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dave28431

Looking to buy a new mower
Original Message   Apr 7, 2005 6:12 pm
Hi everyone.  I am looking to buy a new lawnmower.  I am going to buy it from Lowes.  I cant figure out which one that I want as I am a complete idiot when it comes to riding mowers.  I cant decide between the husky or the cub cadet.  I also dont know whether or not the ones with more horspower are worth the extra money.  If any of you have time, I would really appreciate some expert advice on which mower to buy from lowes.  (They are offering 0% for 12 months)  If any of you have time, check out www.lowes.com and look at the mowers and let me know what you think.  Thank all of you who invest your time in advance for any feedback that you can give me.
Replies: 35 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dave28431

Re: Looking to buy a new mower
Reply #35   Apr 10, 2005 8:57 pm
Well, after reading all of the pros and cons, I decided to go with the $1,799.00 Husky.  I sat on all of them, cubs, huskys, troy builts, etc.  and the husky just felt better.  I also talked with the guy at lowes and he said that they sold around 300 huskys last year and only had 1 to come back.  He also said that he sold around 200 of the cubs and had 2 to come back.  He said that he liked the Kohler and front end better on the cubs, but like the seat  and transmission better on the husky.  According to him, they were about equils.  They offered me the 3 year warranty from Lowes where they come out and change the blades, oil, and check everything for 3 years for $189.00 and I took it.  It also has a lemon clause where if they fix the same thing 3 times that they will refund the entire purchase price back to you.  I guess that I will hope for the best and plan for the worst.  I wish I could have budgeted for a higher end mower, but 2K was all I could stand.  Maybe if this one lasts for a couple of years I can do a little better.  Thanks again guys for all of the advice and help.  I will continue to check by here for pointers and advice and am very glad that I found youl  Thanks again.
robmints

Reply #36   Apr 10, 2005 9:21 pm
uc113

Reply #37   Apr 10, 2005 11:12 pm
I am not on here to bash the MTD line.  I relayed my experience with my White and now with my Husqvarna.  To compare the two is not even fair.  You are prous of your cub and have had no problems with it, good for you.  I have had no problems with my Husqvarna.  You told me I should have gone to Sears and gotten a craftsman since they are both built by AYP.  The only problem is that the craftsman did not come with a Kawasaki engine and the service at sears is garbage.  The local dealer that I purchased my  Husqvarna has been in the business for over 30 years and has excellent service if I ever need it.  As a matter of fact I purchased my White from him.  When I was looking to purchase my new mower three years ago I went to him.  He carries all the major brand name lines.  IF I could have afforded it I would have purchased the Simplicity with the Honda motor but it was out of the range of what I could spend at the time.  He directed me to the husqvarna and pointed out the differences both good and bad between all the mowers he sells.  He was very honest and told me straight out he would not recommend the cub until you got into their higher end.  The lower end models just are not worth the money and he didn't feel right directing anyone to them unless they were set on a cub.  So I am not bashing the MTD line, I am going by my own experience, and the word of someone who has been doing this for over 30 years.  Oh, and I don't see me having to get rid of my husqvarna in seven years like I had to with the White because I take care of my equipment.  Go and tell my neighbor who bought a supposed better line of MTD the Yardman series who has had two spindles fail, front axle break, and transmission go out after only two years.  Sorry but the proof is in the pudding as they say.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #38   Apr 11, 2005 9:36 am
Dave, good luck with your new Husky! Let us know how you like it. If you have anymore questions in the future, ask away! 
Replies: 35 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42