Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > horizontal shaft Briggs, no power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
davisah

horizontal shaft Briggs, no power
Original Message   Apr 10, 2005 6:57 pm
Could anyone suggest a fix? I have a small, horizontal shaft Briggs-Stratton engine that I'm trying to set up in a minibike for my son. The model number on the fan/starter cover suggests that it came from a vertical shaft engine at some point so I really do not know the model or power rating.

The carb sits on top of the gas tank and has 2 tubes that extend into the tank. The is one carb adjustment screw on the side of the carb. There is a device at the end of the carb that is manually pulled while cranking that appears to richen the mixture for starting. There is a cover on the carb that opens up to reveal a thin rubber diaphram with a spring underneath it. The pickup tubes that insert into the gas tank appear to be clean.

Here's the problem. The engine will start and it will idle. However, it will not rev up when the throttle is opened. Turning the adjustment screw does not remedy the problem.

Barring a solution, can anyone suggest a source for a relatively inexpensive 3.5 hp vertical shaft engine, 3/4" shaft with key? Jack's Small engines sells them new for $200.00. I'd like to get one for less$$.

Thanks in advance.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
robmints

Re: horizontal shaft Briggs, no power
Reply #1   Apr 10, 2005 7:13 pm
If I had to make a wild guess, it might be that the engine is an old tiller engine.

I know nothing. On mine the screen at the end of one of those tubes was full of rust from the tank/carb bowl. Did about the same thing, but would surge, then die.
spottedpony

Reply #2   Apr 10, 2005 7:23 pm
if the motor has set for a long time with some fuel in it, its always a good possibility varnish buildup is the problem. at any rate a blockage of some sort, allowing enough fuel to idle, but it fuel starves when attempting to throttle it up. assuming the ignition system is in good shape, and it has good compression, perhaps a good carb cleaning & rebuild & dont forget to give the fuel tank  a good cleaning too.
This message was modified Apr 10, 2005 by spottedpony
Termy

Reply #3   Apr 10, 2005 7:53 pm
I agree... It sounds like your carb is gummed up with varnish caused by stail fuel as mentioned. Take the carb apart and clean throughly with automotive gumout spray. Warning...Use goggles or other eye protection when using this product. Do not forget to get the jets clean, the small holes in the adjusment screws. These holes are quite small so don't miss them. Then after your done doing that, if you have access to compressed air, shoot lots of air to finnish the clean. Clean the air filter aswell and change the oil. If the air filter looks too dirty, then just replace it. Please also replace the sparkplug as it coold be partially fouled.

Let us know how it goes.

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #4   Apr 11, 2005 7:34 pm
the diaphragm that covers the little spring is actually the FUEL PUMP of the carb.if it is stiff in any way replace it and try again.

part number is 270026,real cheep fix here.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #5   Apr 12, 2005 6:54 am
Davisah--The guys  have covered this problem so well I have no doubt that a good carb. cleaning and new diaphragm will fix that engine.---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   Apr 12, 2005 10:32 am
I would also replace the gasket that goes between the carb & fuel tank. They are notorious for being overtorqued & can warp from overtightening. Clean out the fuel tank too, & consider replacing it if the tank's insides are rusty or you'll have problems again.

Agreed, a good cleaning & rebuild should get your engine back in shape MUCH CHEAPER than replacing it!

Marty

davisah

Reply #7   Apr 16, 2005 2:38 pm
Took everyone's advice. Cleaned the carb and tank, replaced carb/tank gasket, diaphram, intake gasket and the jet and jet assembly. Started and reved right up.
Thanks for the help.
jubol

Reply #8   Apr 16, 2005 2:51 pm
 DAVISAH,

Welcome to the forum!!

Stick with us and you will learn a great deal.

I learn something new every day here!!!

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Termy

Reply #9   Apr 17, 2005 1:20 pm
I am glad you got this fixed! I knew the carb was the culprit. Thoes little carbs can be a pain in the but sometimes.

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #10   Apr 18, 2005 6:47 pm
DAVISA---WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND IT MAKES US FEEL  GOOD TO KNOW YOU CORRECTED YOUR PROBLEM.  MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND WILL BE CONVERSING AGAIN----WILL

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42