Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking to buy a new mower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dave28431

Looking to buy a new mower
Original Message   Apr 7, 2005 6:12 pm
Hi everyone.  I am looking to buy a new lawnmower.  I am going to buy it from Lowes.  I cant figure out which one that I want as I am a complete idiot when it comes to riding mowers.  I cant decide between the husky or the cub cadet.  I also dont know whether or not the ones with more horspower are worth the extra money.  If any of you have time, I would really appreciate some expert advice on which mower to buy from lowes.  (They are offering 0% for 12 months)  If any of you have time, check out www.lowes.com and look at the mowers and let me know what you think.  Thank all of you who invest your time in advance for any feedback that you can give me.
Replies: 14 - 23 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
dave28431

Re: Looking to buy a new mower
Reply #14   Apr 8, 2005 4:57 pm
Nice mower.  What would be the difference between that one and the one for $1999.00?  The Huskvarna for $1,799.00 also looked good to me.  Any pros or cons on either of those two?  Thanks guys.
Emmo

Reply #15   Apr 8, 2005 5:06 pm
I like the Cub that Joe likes but it's over your budget.

Staying under 2K and at Lowes I like the husky YTH 2448 for $1799.

BUT  I also would prefer to buy from a dealer or Sears first. (No service whatsoever from Lowes).  Shop around, there are a lot of dealers around here offering 0%. Sears also is 0% until Jan 06.

The Craftsman are good values (Many are Husqvarna clones) and are on sale about every other week.  I like the Husky but would prefer to have the Kawasaki motor even if I stepped down to the 15 HP model YTH1542XP (MSRP of $1999)and available only at a dealer.

Just my .02

Good luck.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #16   Apr 8, 2005 7:03 pm
hi guys ...

just stepping in for a little clearification.

the husky tractors have briggs ,kohler and kawasaki power available.

the xp husky comes with the kawi motor...it is by far the best engine available in a tractor of this size.just start one up and you will understand.

the sears and the husky are both made by AYP which is a sub of electrolux which is owned by the same bunch that owns husky.

thats why the sears and the husky are similar.

the husky has a cast iron front axle.4 deck wheels and a nose roller,greese fittings better steering wheel fuel sight guage ,hour meter and the best to fill gas tank you could ever ask for.and did i mention the kawi motor...sweet.

some of the john deers have a kawi motor but they are in the " better jd".the cheeper ones are not so good,actually built from an old homelite factory...sheesh.

the cub cadet that is in the same price range as the husky is actually a rebaged mtd...not so good either.

and the 15xp husky will outperform a 19 horse sears with briggs power...incase you were wondering.

oh yes...i sell the husky,more than anyone else in atlantic canada,which isnt saying much its a small place.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
jogo

Reply #17   Apr 8, 2005 8:36 pm
Hey Snowshoveler.....

GREAT input, Thanks!!!!

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
uc113

Reply #18   Apr 8, 2005 9:00 pm
I have the husqvarna with the kawasaki engine that I purchased from a local dealer.  You will be much better off doing that than getting one at Lowes.  The local dealer will go over the mower and make sure everything is set up properly not just out of the box like they would do at Lowes and Home Depot.   Also, if you ever need service you will be better off taking it back to the dealer you purchased it from as I do not think Lowes or Home Depot services the mowers.  For the extra $200 for the husqvarna from a local dealer it will be money much better spent in the long run.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #19   Apr 8, 2005 10:47 pm
I'd buy the XP series too.   I'd even buy the  Zero turn if they made them like an Ariens.  I don't think the Cub Cadet turns as tight as the Husky.  Overall, if you want it to last, buy the Husqvarna it is much better. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

dave28431

Reply #20   Apr 9, 2005 6:10 am
I would like to thank you guys for all of your input.  I am more undecided now than I was 2 days ago.  I wouldnt have thought that mowers that are $2,000 are just about the same as the ones that are $800.00.  I for the life of me cant figure out why Lowes or Sears does not carry the Kaw. engine.  I am sure of one thing, I want that engine.  Now I have got to try and find one that is in my budget and hopefully for 0% for long enough to get it paid for.  Thanks alot guys for all of the input.  I have learned a great deal during this ordeal.  I will keep checking back and will let you know what I end up getting.  Thanks again.
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #21   Apr 9, 2005 8:30 am
Goodluck Dave I'm sure you will choose a nice one. 

Later Mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #22   Apr 9, 2005 5:08 pm
Hi dave...

" I for the life of me cant figure out why Lowes or Sears does not carry the Kaw. engine."

Lower price without it ! They sell on price...

For ~2 acres... I'd want a 48" cut minimum... so it dosen't take toooo long...

I checked out the bigger Huskey lawn tractors... seemingly nice machine for the $$$ !  I would not hesitate buying one with a "better" engine... although I have little knowledge about 'em... except for checkin' 'em out in a showroom...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

jodyand

Dodge
you drive the Rest I drive the Best.
That thang got a Hemi?SWEETTTT

Reply #23   Apr 9, 2005 9:47 pm
snowshoveler wrote:
hi guys ...

the cub cadet that is in the same price range as the husky is actually a rebaged mtd...not so good either.

later chris 

Im sorry but i would have to disagree with you on that. It may be the low end of the Cub line but its not a rebaged mtd. It has timken tapered  roller bearings in the front spindles. It has a hydro which is serviceable and has a Kolher motor,
4-bolt automotive-style lug nuts,
Tapered roller bearings w/grease fittings in the deck (for long life) It may share some parts with a reg mtd but so does Craftmans with the husky. I know your a Husky dealer but you shouldnt put down on another brand thats just as good just to try and sell yours.

Replies: 14 - 23 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42