Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Re: How Many Like Toro???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
buttlint

Re: How Many Like Toro???
Original Message   Apr 6, 2005 9:09 pm
T.
I really like toros for residential customers......
But I really dont think you would be happy with one for commercial cutting.
They are big and heavy....and dont do well in commercial use. (Kinda like using a Cadillac too pull stumps with.)
The few that I have seen used by cutters are usually ragged out after the first year or two of use.
I am sure others can recommend good small mowers too suit your needs....but I just cant recommend Toros with a PP system...and still sleep at night. HTH.

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
buttlint

Reply #1   Apr 6, 2005 10:23 pm
"Hey, lint!"
"Yea, Jack. What's going on?"
"Hell....got me by the short hairs. I reply too Termy's thread, and all of a sudden I got this orphan thread over in NPT. It's like I caught syphliss and I cant hang anymore."
"All I can figure is maybe admin caught you whoring around at Gardenweb answering Lawnboy questions."
"Things have been slow...what can I say. Guys gotta do what a guys gotta do."
"Oh well."
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   Apr 6, 2005 10:49 pm
Wow, how the hell did this happen? Sorry Lint. I'll move your post.
Termy

Reply #3   Apr 8, 2005 1:53 am
I did not see this thread untill now. Oh my gosh I feel sheepish...

It is true that I am going to be using the mower for commercial use but I just can not afford 1000 dollars or more for a commercial unit yet. I need to start out small and work my way up. I had been using a crappy 150 dollar mower for my first 4 years than I upgraded to a Scotts mower for 350 dollars. I had used that mower since 1999 and it finnaly needed to be sold before it completely failed on me lol. Now, here I am once again looking for another mower. I will be able to buy the Toro I am looking at in a few months. Hopefuly, my new Toro will last at least 10 years. If it does, I will be very happy with it and will already had bought a commercial unit by then!

buttlint

Reply #4   Apr 8, 2005 8:49 am
T.
One of the problems that the aluminum deck Toros have is where the the wheels meet the deck.
During commercial use the pivot arms and adjusters take a beating. The notches for the adjusters are cast into the deck....and if and when the pivots wear or become loose....the adjuster pins will gouge out the grooves in the deck resulting in the wheels flying off in all different directions. This year Toro has finally addressed the problem by adding steel plates in those areas. Hopefully that will stop being a problem.
There are some other problems, but those problems can be attributed too any machine that is used commercially. Meaning:
Some commercial cutters dont pull maintainence like they should. They run thier stuff into the ground. They move way too fast and tend not to stop and fix the little problems that ocurr and those little problems tend too turn into bigger problems in a reletivly short time. Residential users notice the little things that go wrong...because they shelled out the bucks too buy the equiptment. Some employees are just trying make square footage and move on too the next job. They could care less if the front wheels fall off, as long as they can ride the rear wheels too finish a yard, finish the day, and get too the weekend. (Not intended as a slam on employees....but most dont consider it thier job too pamper thier equiptment and get maximum use from it.)

I am sure whatever you decide on....will be treated with TLC. (Considering that you kept that Scotts 3-1 POS on the road for as long as you did, is testiment too how well you take care of your stuff.) A Toro should last you 50-60 years .

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42