Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Sears Craftsman Videos

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Sears Craftsman Videos
Original Message   Mar 28, 2005 2:40 pm
I was looking through the Craftsman attachments page and noticed they have some videos for their attachments.  Here is the attachments page.   Here is the video for the spreader I was looking for.  I'm almost set on the 85lb. broadcast spreader, but I really don't know what more I get other than a larger bucket to spread with on the 125lb. model.  I do have a 1/2 acre property.  I consider my purchase of a Craftsman tractor justified with all these attachments to choose from.   I really like the front end bucket, but I think Johnny Products are better.  It is raining like mad here and I need to get a jump on the weeds. 
This message was modified Mar 28, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Sears Craftsman Videos
Reply #1   Mar 28, 2005 3:34 pm
It looks like the 125lb model has a tougher gear and a better spindle support for it as well. They are different in the front as to where the release is located and how it's done. I can't tell by the pictures enough to tell what is best. I would prefer the 125lb model so I didn't have to stop as often. But, I would also want to be sure the spindle/pin thing that rotates at the bottom of the tub is plenty strong on the 125lb model, that's alot of weight. What was the price difference, I didn't check?

125lb

85lb

This message was modified Mar 28, 2005 by Marshall
AJace

Reply #2   Mar 28, 2005 4:33 pm
Hey Marshall,

The price difference is $110.99.  The 85lb. model is $60.00 and the 125lb. model is $170.99.  I have a Scotts walk-behind spreader and I don't fill to to the max because of the weight.  I don't mind refilling, as that means more seat time.    The biggest Scotts bags usually come 47lbs, that I know of.   I do wonder if they incorporated a deflector so the spreadings don't get on the tractor.  If they didn't, I'll probably look elsewhere.  By looking at the video it seems there is something in place to prevent that, but it isn't too clear.  I'm pretty much sold on the 85lb. model. 

Marshall

Reply #3   Mar 28, 2005 4:50 pm
I have a Scotts tow behind spreader, it's an 80ish pounder, works good!
AJace

Reply #4   Mar 28, 2005 5:05 pm
Marshall, does your spreader throw the "spreadings" fertilizer on the back of your tractor?  I think that is an opportunity for rust. 

Marshall

Reply #5   Mar 28, 2005 5:17 pm
AJace wrote:
Marshall, does your spreader throw the "spreadings" fertilizer on the back of your tractor?  I think that is an opportunity for rust. 

No, it absolutely does not. If it did, I wouldn't ever use it.
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #6   Mar 28, 2005 8:54 pm
Hey guy's I don't do to much fertilizing, but a friend of mine at work does. He was telling me he likes the kind of spreader that just drops it out the bottom and doesn't  throw it. The reason of being is because he just looks at his ruts and know right where he left off and knows he is'nt missing any spots. I'm thinking about getting into if and doing it for some of my mowing customers. Does his reasons make good sense to you guys? I  was thinking hes right because you can't really be sure that the spreading kinda is getting it all even. I'm really trying to decide myself.         Later, Mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Marshall

Reply #7   Mar 28, 2005 10:19 pm
Hi Mike,

For smaller areas, I prefer the drop spreader like your friend is speaking of. The advantage he brought up up is exactly why. But, for larger areas they're just don't cover enough ground. I prefer the broadcast spreader for those applications. It's surprisingly easy to tell where you ahve been when using fertilizer with a decent content of nitrogen because of the white color, sometimes yellow. But, the things like crabgrass preventer, which has very small particles and is of a color that blends in, is more difficult. In that case, I usually test to see how far it throws and then space that same distance.
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #8   Mar 29, 2005 5:42 pm
I see what you are saying Marshall,plus I guess if I'm gonna do it for my customers I need one that is fast like the spreading type. Later Mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
AJace

Reply #9   Apr 3, 2005 9:54 pm
I have pictures of my own version of the spreader.  Here they are. 

I added some felt to the tongue of the hitch so no paint is removed. 
This message was modified Apr 3, 2005 by AJace

AJace

Reply #10   Apr 12, 2005 9:10 pm
Marshall, I was in Wal-mart today looking for some Scotts and I happened to walk by a Scotts spreader tow-behind.  Is this the model you have?   I pulled out my cell phone and you can guess what happened next by looking below. 

This message was modified Apr 12, 2005 by AJace

AJace

Reply #11   Apr 12, 2005 9:29 pm

I finally took the spreader out today filled with Scotts Turf-Builder with Weed Control 2.  I started out with moist fertilizer, but didn't know it wouldn't come out until I started out on the lawn.  Off to Lowe's for some drier stuff.  Came back and filled the spreader.  Went out and did about 1/4 of the yard and looked back and the bucket was about empty.  Somehow the controller got set to around 6 and 2 1/2 is the recommended setting.  I pulled out the moist fertilizer I still had in the container and tried to spread that in the tow-behind.  It wouldn't work, so I got out the Scotts Walk-Behind and opened the setting up wider so it would disperse properly.  I think I got the job done, but now I worry that I might have ruined my lawn.  The best thing that could happen is that I need to mow everyday   Does anyone think I did something bad to my lawn?  

Marshall

Reply #12   Apr 12, 2005 9:33 pm
You're lawn will be fine! You're water bill is going up though. 
AJace

Reply #13   Apr 12, 2005 9:36 pm
What do you mean?

Marshall

Reply #14   Apr 12, 2005 9:53 pm
You'll need to make sure you water the lawn more than you normally would. Fertilizer will burn up a lawn if there is too much on it but, if you keep it watered good you'll be just fine.
AJace

Reply #15   Apr 12, 2005 11:39 pm
Thanks for that tip.  By the way, is that your model spreader you have? 

Marshall

Reply #16   Apr 13, 2005 9:37 am
Mine's very similar to that, mines a Scotts brand. I think my lever release is different.
AJace

Reply #17   Apr 13, 2005 10:24 am
I took for granted since it was green, it was a Scotts.  Scotts probably makes it or they make it for Scotts.  April is a month around here that has lots of rain in it.  I usually never water the lawn, since we almost always have water restriction, like we do now.  I still need to go out there and put a soaking on it so nothing burns up. 

Marshall

Reply #18   Apr 13, 2005 10:43 am
Yes you do, you don't want it to sit on there for more than 24hrs before you water it.

Back in my ornery days, a week or two ago, we took fetilizer/nitrogen, and spelled some wording on one of our close friends lawn as a practical joke. Of course he was unaware of it and didn't water. It stood out nicely after a about a week.

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #19   Apr 13, 2005 8:45 pm
well about the only thing you can do with your lawn now is bring it over to my place and install it.

i will look after it from now on.

if you ask real nice and store your new tractor in my basement then i might let you mow it every sunday

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
AJace

Reply #20   Apr 13, 2005 11:02 pm
Well, it has been more than 24 hrs. and with me being sick it didn't get watered.  There is no rain in the forecast until Wednesday.  I hope it won't hurt to water it tomorrow if I feel better.  By the way, it will probably get brown right?    Hopefully it didn't kill it. 
This message was modified Apr 13, 2005 by AJace

Marshall

Reply #21   Apr 13, 2005 11:35 pm
AJace, don't worry bout it, it won't kill it. Get water on it tomorrow some time. Just set out a sprinkler and let it work, go back inside and get better.
AJace

Reply #22   Apr 13, 2005 11:59 pm
Sounds great to me.   You had me a worried a bit there.     

Marshall

Reply #23   Apr 14, 2005 8:46 pm
AJace, here's what my spreader looks like.

AJace

Reply #24   Apr 15, 2005 12:36 am
Scott's makes Snapper, or does Snapper make Scotts?  How do all the Snapper attachments play out? 

Marshall

Reply #25   Apr 15, 2005 11:53 am
I strongly imagine that it is Scotts that makes Snappers.

The attachment I have have been good, can't speak for all of them though.
Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42