Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How do I check the spark?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
oneputt

How do I check the spark?
Original Message   Mar 27, 2005 7:45 pm
How can properly check the spark on a lawn mower engine. I used to just hold on and pull and if I got a jolt it was ok, but I really want to check to see if there might be a more accurate test. Someone had suggested holding the lead a 1/4 inch from the crankcase and look for a blue spark.

Thanks,

Oneputt  

This message was modified Mar 27, 2005 by oneputt

Lawn-Boy Silver Pro 6.5hp, Murray 20" 5.5hp mower, NOMA 1.6hp cultivator, Ryobi 31cc trimmer, Weedeater trimmer, Honda HS621 snow blower
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
spottedpony

Re: How do I check the spark?
Reply #1   Mar 27, 2005 8:41 pm
oneputt, that sort of gets your attention doesnt it?? loll.........i used to test spark by this method, or using a screwdriver, til i ran across a handy little spark tester that eliminates the hassle. just unplug the spark plug wire, connect the tester to the plug and wire, and proper spark shows in the tester......it sure saves on frazzled nerves.

They should be available about anywhere, but heres a link to one similar to what i use. http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/inigspartes.html

(moderators, the add link function doesnt seem to be working tonight)

This message was modified Mar 27, 2005 by a moderator
robmints

Reply #2   Mar 27, 2005 8:52 pm
Maybe Link?

SP,
Does it look lik this?

The one I use looks like a pen with a section the shape of the wire cut out of it. But it takes two hands.
spottedpony

Reply #3   Mar 27, 2005 8:56 pm
Rob

thats very similar to the one i use

robmints

Reply #4   Mar 27, 2005 8:57 pm
SP,
Don't ask, I have no idea.

I'm glad to hear the testers work well though.
oneputt

Reply #5   Mar 27, 2005 10:44 pm
Thanks guys.....you've saved my last frazzed nerve....

Lawn-Boy Silver Pro 6.5hp, Murray 20" 5.5hp mower, NOMA 1.6hp cultivator, Ryobi 31cc trimmer, Weedeater trimmer, Honda HS621 snow blower
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #6   Mar 28, 2005 6:55 am
Oneputt---The best way I have found is with a Spark Tester.  They can be bought at most any shop.  They do a much better job than holding the plug wire plus much more comfortable.  Hope this helps and may God bless you--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42