Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > busted electric thing

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ElvisTCB

busted electric thing
Original Message   Mar 23, 2005 11:06 pm
I am mending a B&S 35 classic engine which has recieved some nasty treatment. The (dynamo?) generator deely spent a while rubbing heavily on the flywheel. This made it hell to turn over, but possible, soo it ran like this for a while and got bad. Is this salvageable?
What is it called?
This is probably the reason for my inability to get a spark, isn't it?

thanks in advance for help, i'm new to this and am gaining experiance on small engines.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: busted electric thing
Reply #1   Mar 24, 2005 12:08 am
Elvis, welcome.

Someone will be along to answer your question the best they can, we have some good folks when it comes to engines. How did you find the forum?
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #2   Mar 24, 2005 6:52 am
Elvis--Like Marshall, we all welcome you to the forum.  From my understanding of what you have written, you are talking about the flywheel that is rubbing for you said you did not receive a spark.   If I am on the right track there are 2 reasons for a flywheel to rub.    First---the coil or solid state module is set improperly , if it rubs you can bet you will not have a spark.  It should be set with a gap of about .010 to .012 . between the flywheel magnets and the laminations of the module.  Second---if the flywheel rubs, most likely it  is the the topl main bearing that is worn.  Unless it has been run years and years, and poorly maintained this is not apt to be the problem.  Check those items and keep up posted.  and may God bless you in this repair---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
ElvisTCB

Reply #3   Mar 24, 2005 11:53 am
Peacan, you are right, the main bearing  is worn out it's a bad day for me, what is the next step?
buttlint

Reply #4   Mar 24, 2005 2:51 pm
In a nutshell.....
Pitch it .
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #5   Mar 24, 2005 4:49 pm
well it looks like i came along just in time...to help dig the hole.

sorry to hear its to late to help it.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
buttlint

Reply #6   Mar 24, 2005 5:37 pm
Gee, Chris..
Were has our bedside manner gone?

Elvis,
We have too make some assumptions here. (No engine model # or what it is mounted on.)
I assume that this engine is mounted on a lower end mower or other piece of equipment.
When you say that it has been abused....I am guessing that you mean that the oil was never changed, or any other maintainence was done too it.
The top end bearing was probly subject too low or no oil situations more than once. (Thats why it was trashed.)
If that was the case....that means that the other parts were starved of oil also. (Cylinder, bearings, etc.)
That would put you into a short block. (That cost more than the whole machine is worth.)
That engine was used on MTD, Murray, Poulon and other cheapo walkbehinds and other pieces of equipment.
I am sure that if the engine was that abused.....then the rest of what it was mounted on took the same abuse and.....the low end stuff just cant take abuse.(Blade worn out, deck bent, wheel adjusters spent? etc.

If you just want too get it running again.....sometimes you can pull the flywheel toward the module (if the module hasnt been beat too death.) and set the gap in that position. (Like Will said.)
I wont last very long but it may satisfy the urge too fix something. HTH.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42