Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Fedora Core 3

Community Discussions

Search For:
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Fedora Core 3
Original Message   Feb 22, 2005 9:28 pm
Well, my company and the job market being what they are, i decided to get back into this linux thing, so I grabbed the latest FC distro from redhat, not too bad.  I left just before RH9 came out(lack of time and motivation), and this fedora thing is pretty neat.  Surfs abby's like the dickens :)  Well i gotta go grep something, so i'll see ya all later

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Re: Fedora Core 3
Reply #1   Feb 23, 2005 7:02 am
Sorry Chris,
Could you repost that in english for us dum-dums?
I'm thinking that dialect is very high level techo-geek...........something I admire but don't understand.

It does seem to have a taint of microsoft to it...........maybe my Momma wouldn't want me to know.....

Frank D.
This message was modified Feb 23, 2005 by faithfulFrank

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
terrapin24h

Reply #2   Feb 23, 2005 10:35 am
Frank,
    Microsoft?  Fedora? nah....Fedora is what red hat linux desktop was.  Red hat droppped support for desktop linux a while back and underwrote the fedora project.  They released all thier source to the community, give'm space on their servers, and use'm to test out new features, all for free.  They do still maintain a "controlling interest" if you will in the development of the os, but don't offer any formal support for it, that's where the fedora community comes in.  The whole idea is about as ANTI microsoft as you can get ;)

fedora.redhat.com

--chris
2001 Ariens 824LE
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #3   Feb 23, 2005 10:53 am
Chris,
Ohhhhhhhh.........that's cool.  Way beyond me.
I know macs are Unix based, and supposed to be quite stable, but I do not know the differance between Linux and Unix....sound somewhat alike.
It's funny...in the kingdom of the blind, a one eyed man is king...........to some I know, I'm concidered computer savvy, but compared to many others like yourself, I'm almost computer illiterate......

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
terrapin24h

Reply #4   Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm
Difference between linux and unix eh?  Well, the largest difference is that Unix is usually a pay for operating system that comes with expensive hardware(HPUX on  HP's, Solaris on  Suns, etc) and linux isn't(time was linux was the only i386 offering, but solaris is now offering solaris for intel-again-).  Linux was first developed by Linus Torvalds in the mid 90's.  He(like you) hated microsoft's desktop offering and craved a unix operating system to run on his desktop, but there weren't any.  So he wrote one, and released it to the world.  In fact IIRC he was either a co founder of redhat, or an inital employee, my history is a bit foggy ;)  The mac OS is based on a Unix variant IIRC from NEXT(Job's old comapny after he left apple prior to the first powermacs coming out IIRC)  They took an envolved interface an finder, and plunked it on top of a tweaked Next OS kernel, and then the magic happened by itself.  A mac head at the time, i remember hearing about it during development but unfortunately got out of working on macs before i could really see it go.  My experience with OS X and up is superficial at best, unfortunately.  Unix and Linux share alot of the same desgins philosophies, commands, and so on.  In fact, i think there are even a couple of linux distros to run on mac hardware.

--chris
2001 Ariens 824LE
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42