Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Here's the Bug I bought for my son....

Community Discussions

Search For:
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Here's the Bug I bought for my son....
Original Message   Jul 9, 2005 6:24 pm
Hey Guys,
Some of you asked for a picture of the Bug I bought for my youngest son. Here it is.  It's a 1974 Sunbug with sunroof, etc.  We just took it to a VW car show today and had a blast. Great little car for a high school kid.....it turns heads, good gas mileage, keeps it's value, Very small back seat......all good things.......check out the plate....
I'm now looking for an older VW bug for my wife.....

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Re: Here's the Bug I bought for my son....
Reply #1   Jul 9, 2005 7:32 pm
WOW Frank!  That is a sweet first ride!  I bet he just loves it!

Nice deal!

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #2   Jul 10, 2005 7:00 am
That is one definite sweet ride.  Wish I could find cars in that shape around here.  He's one lucky guy that son of yours!

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #3   Jul 10, 2005 8:12 am
Very nice catch Frank !!

It looks in great shape, how many miles on it?

Is it difficult to get parts?

Plates are a great finishing touch.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
Majorxlr8n

Reply #4   Jul 10, 2005 11:07 am
Frank - thats a SWEET looking V-Dub!! Indeed, a WONDERFUL find! How are the floors & heat channels? My dad had a '68 that had no heat channels left. He used to keep a heavy blanket in the car to help keep himself warm, and an ice scraper to scrape ice off the INSIDE of the windshield!

Marty

Dantheman

Reply #5   Jul 10, 2005 4:41 pm
Great Bug Frank!!!

What memories...

Back in 1982 I had a '67 convertible that had a glass rear window and horse hair insulation in the canvas roof. When it snowed outside very often it snowed inside as well.

Under the driver's floor mat someone rivited a sign on the floor to cover a hole .The sign read, " CLOSEST TO THE PIN WINS "

Not only did the windows ice over on the inside but fogged up too. I can remember one night myself and a friend got so frustrated with the windshield not defrosting that we put the top down in the rain and sat on the backs of the bucket seats so we could see over the windshield. Of course in 1982 there were a few beers involved in all of this...Dazed and confused.........

Dan

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #6   Jul 10, 2005 6:07 pm
Thanks......
The heat channels and floor pans are brand new, recently welded in by the last owner. It has 122k miles on it.
Parts are very easy to get, both from vendors at VW shows, ebay, and a host of VW parts companies.
They are easy to work on, engine comes out quickly and easily, no computers, no emission control stuff, no radiator, etc etc.

They really turn heads, and hold their value.  Within a 30 mile radius, there are three VW clubs to get involved in.
They are fun to drive, and in my opinion, a poor man's way to own and keep a classic.

Funny, my son and I have enjoyed working on it..I met a guy yesterday who bought his bug from a guy who spent over a year restoring a nice bug
for his son, as a suprise graduation present.  The kid took one look at it and said to his Dad, "What a crummy present, I want a muscle car...."

The Dad promptly sold it to the guy who told me the story.   I also read a simular story on a bug being sold on ebay.  I'm glad my son likes this one.

Most parts for a 32 year old car would be hard to find and costly......bugs are not like that.......
I think it is one of the only types of classic cars out there that are affordable and easy to work on.  I've talked to guys that own both Bugs and other fancier  classic cars,
and they tell me the Bug gets more attention then the other fancier classic cars worth much more.  When you own an old Caddy or Chevy, you don't have too many people run up to you to tell you they once had one.  With the Bug, wherever we go with it, someone comes up to us to tell us " Wow...I had one of those back when I was in college, etc,etc........."  It's great.

The only car my son would rather have is a old VW "Thing".......but they are much rarer, and that's another story........

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   Jul 10, 2005 6:19 pm
That's in real great condition.  What is the get up and move power on this classic?  It does have dual exhaust right? 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #8   Jul 10, 2005 8:19 pm
WOW!!!  That's a beauty!!!
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Jul 10, 2005 10:09 pm
Sharp looking V-Dub, I bet he likes it!
mrmom

Reply #10   Jul 11, 2005 10:10 am
Nice!

That's one sweet looking ride.

Congrats on the car.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42