Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Getting rid of unwanted bugs...

Community Discussions

Search For:
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Getting rid of unwanted bugs...
Original Message   Jun 2, 2005 11:04 am
Here in Nova Scotia we have an unslaught of biting bugs that seem to hit every Spring.  (misquitoes, black flies, no seeums, etc..)  They seem especially bad since there's lots of wet, soggy ground for them to breed in.  Is there any way that any of you have found to 'scare' the biting bugs away.  They were so bad last night that they upset the bucket of soapy water Chris was using to wash the truck.  They were absolutely horrid!!!  Thick black clouds of biting fury, no swatting could keep them away.

Thanks for any advice that you can provide.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Replies: 14 - 23 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Re: Getting rid of unwanted bugs...
Reply #14   Jun 2, 2005 3:20 pm
Sherri,

Here are some more detailed plans for a single chamber home:

Bat house

There are other links on this page to some other designs for multichamber ones, but they all seem to have the same basic design:

Bat house plans

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Highwind

Reply #15   Jun 2, 2005 3:21 pm
Marshall wrote:
Watch out Wind, I think Paula likes controlled stimuli. 

Actually, I think Paula likes to control her stimuli...or any other guy that gets near her.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #16   Jun 2, 2005 3:36 pm
Oh sure...walk away from your desk for a minute and see what happens?

As to my stimuli....lets just it stays as stimulated as it wants to be. 

This message was modified Jun 2, 2005 by Paula
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #17   Jun 2, 2005 3:41 pm
Highwind

Reply #18   Jun 2, 2005 4:13 pm
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
http://www.batconservation.org/content/bathouse/buildyourown.htm

This is the first set of instructions I've looked at.  Not real good with anything that requires thinking about numbers (maybe I'll have to send you my dimensions Highwind).  Maybe I'll stick to making them some curtains for the windows and pretty cushion covers to rest their weary head on after a hard nights bug eating.   I think I'm going buggy.

Sherri

Okay, please do send your dimensions. Don't forget the picture. And if you want send the measurements for the bat house too.

Ohhhh boy...e-abbysguides here we go!!! Start the bidding.

Paula

Reply #19   Jun 2, 2005 4:25 pm
Uh oh....Windy is having delusions of grandeur again....

Sherri

Might want to think about putting little mini treadmills in there for the bats....after eating that many bugs they are going to need to work off some poundage....maybe they can get some tips from the Numbnuts ladies? 

Highwind

Reply #20   Jun 2, 2005 4:29 pm
Paula wrote:
Uh oh....Windy is having delusions of grandeur again....

Sherri

Might want to think about putting little mini treadmills in there for the bats....after eating that many bugs they are going to need to work off some poundage....maybe they can get some tips from the Numbnuts ladies? 

Not true Paula. I only have delusions of barely being adequate. Besides how could I have delusions of the Grand Canyon when I've never seen it?

Paula

Reply #21   Jun 2, 2005 5:53 pm
Highwind wrote:
Not true Paula. I only have delusions of barely being adequate. Besides how could I have delusions of the Grand Canyon when I've never seen it?

.... aww....I just can't.....  
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #22   Jun 2, 2005 8:43 pm
I researched this thoroughly two years ago.  Bats do kill mosquitos but not necessarly where you want them too, your property.  They also carry rabies and they don't have to bite you simply run into you as rabies is unique in it's ability to spread via ALL bodily fluids including saliva and sweat off of the bat.  If you make contact with a bat you are automatically getting a rabies inoculation and it is VERY expensive and not pleasant either.  I know first hand as I give the shots and have more times than I care to count over the years. 

There is only one thing that has been proven to work and the only reason I don't have one yet is cost though they get cheaper every year.

http://www.mosquito-control-superstore.com/

(Sorry you have to cut and paste the link into your browser, I still can't get this system to make the link for me where you simply click on it....)

There are many brands and they all work well and are good for an acre of area per unit and they kill mosquitos, black flys and no see-ums and you can get them just about anywhere now here in the states.

Bats are cool no doubt, just be aware of the drawbacks...

C

This message was modified Jun 2, 2005 by a moderator

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #23   Jun 2, 2005 9:02 pm
MissSnowshoveler wrote:
Here in Nova Scotia we have an unslaught of biting bugs that seem to hit every Spring.  (misquitoes, black flies, no seeums, etc..)  They seem especially bad since there's lots of wet, soggy ground for them to breed in.  Is there any way that any of you have found to 'scare' the biting bugs away.  They were so bad last night that they upset the bucket of soapy water Chris was using to wash the truck.  They were absolutely horrid!!!  Thick black clouds of biting fury, no swatting could keep them away.

Thanks for any advice that you can provide.

Sherri

Sherri, that has to be miserable. Sounds like they stand up and growl at you too. I hope you find relief but unfortunately when they are that bad, I fear not much is going to rid them to your liking. Maybe what Chris posted will help enough to make it better.
Replies: 14 - 23 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42