Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Woodchuck elimination

Community Discussions

Search For:
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Woodchuck elimination
Original Message   May 1, 2005 10:24 pm
Hi gang. My next door neighbor has a problem with woodchucks that have taken up residence under her front porch.
Besides the obvious answers of shooting them which is out because of the proximity to the house, or trapping them and relocating them,(or then shooting them  LOL), anybody have some other suggestions as to getting them out of there. Any info
is appreciated.

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Woodchuck elimination
Reply #15   May 2, 2005 6:25 pm

Problem:

Goal:

Solution:

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #16   May 2, 2005 6:53 pm
A 1,000 FPS pellet rifle will penetrate anywhere on that animal.  I know that 1st hand.  If you dial in a scope properly and use a stand to shoot off of, there is NO reason you should not be able to hit it in the head, or chest and kill it w/ one shot.  Again a high velocity pellet rifle will achieve this.  Personally i dont mess w/ my pellet rifle to often, and would opt for a .22 rifle instead.  If neighbors are a concern you can even use the CB caps in the 22 rifle for a totally silent kill.  The .22 slug goes about 850 fps out of a CB bullet, which is enough punch to penetrate.  A CB .22 slug will consistently go through a 1" thick pine board.  As far as range, practice a little 1st.  I consider my self an average shot, but can hit say a raccoon in the eye from 50 yards out w/ either my pellet rifle or CB load .22.  W/ a regular long rifle high velocity .22 could probably hit at 100 yards out.  Move up the scale in my rifle and scope collection, and I could probably do the same w/ a 30 * 6 at about 250 yards on a calm day.  In theory if you calculate the drop off of a bullet as it travels, and calculate windage correctly you can pin point shoot at over a mile out.  
This message was modified May 2, 2005 by Bill_D
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #17   May 2, 2005 8:32 pm
I never knew they could do that kind of damage AJ.  I still have it.  It is going to cost me hundreds (I hope only hundreds with the price of things right now where I live due to the housing boom) to fill in the holes with cheap rock and dirt they are so deep it is scarey.  They have totally undermined the land behind my home in some spots.  I have to watch where I walk and where I drive my LT or I can drive right into them.  When I first moved here I had a live and let live attitude but  they just kept digging more and more holes and bigger and bigger and then the ground started to cave in and they dug more holes.  If they did this out in my wooded lot I would have cared less but I could not find one hole out there.  Finally enough was enough, they just kept going and then I had the ground give way underneath me to my waist and that was that.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Dantheman

Reply #18   May 3, 2005 10:10 am
I have had great success with RWS subsonic .22 hollowpoints. No echo with the sound...just make sure no one is in the vicinity. They are imported from Germany and are around 5 bucks for a box for 50. Very accurate. I use them in the woods for squirrells also...so quiet that they come back within 5 or 10 minutes after you shoot one. 

Second  choice is an "adult" pellet rifle that gets 900fps +. Use a pointed pellet and put it in the boiler room. Does'nt work reliably and 95 % of the time they get back in their hole to die. Then you smell "varmint poon-tang" carcass for a while ( which smells like victory ).

Dan

Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #19   May 3, 2005 2:50 pm
LMAO. Some good stuff in there. A couple years ago she had a guy come in for the same problem. Trapped them and then took them away. He probably offed them too Emmo. I would.
Chris, what do you have up there The jurassic park of woodchuckdom. Crimony. Where my neighbors fields start at the end of her lawn, there is a hugh plot like that of woodchuck holes that I have never seen the likes of. Yours sounds much worse.
Trapping and relocating, (offing) sounds like a winner.  LOL

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #20   May 3, 2005 8:19 pm
LOL....

I thinks so lol....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #21   May 4, 2005 7:37 pm
now heres another story...

a couple years ago when i lived in town my neighbor had a problem with squirrels burrowing in his lawn.i didnt know squirrels would do that but what do i know.

he takes his barbecue tank and runs a hose from it to one of the holes and fumes it for a while .

then he lights a match and tosses it in.

wow that brought me to attention,and i was in my house watching tv,had no idea what he was up to.

turns out the holes went into his basement...i still dont know why he didnt burn his house down.

we had a little discussion about it and he promised not to do it again and i promised not to shoot him.

he used a pellet rifle after that and had no more problems with them.

so now im outside of town and have a 7.62 russian rifle...similar cartrige to a 30-06. dont use it now but it would sure ventilate a ground hog.it is kinda heavy though.

if you want to come visit ill give it to you,just dont tell anyone where you got it cause i hate paperwork and there would be a lot getting it into the U.S.

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Marshall

Reply #22   May 4, 2005 8:04 pm
Chris, does it look like either of these?

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #23   May 5, 2005 7:43 pm
hey Marshall...

mine is the Mosin -nagent.

it has  blond wood...ie its very white,is complete numbers matching and a real russian not one of the copies contracted in other countries.i beleive the polish ones were pretty good though.

and mine has had no more than 30 shells fired through it in all its years.

so when you coming to pick it up.

oh yes i dont have the blade for it sorry.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Marshall

Reply #24   May 5, 2005 8:08 pm
Chris, keep it and fire it now and then. There's a whole cult following of the old Mosin's, Enfield's, and of course the Garand's. It's tough to find a like new one such as yours. That's a nice gun you got there! 
Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42