Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Electrical question

Community Discussions

Search For:
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Electrical question
Original Message   Mar 28, 2005 9:14 am
I need to determine which wire is the incoming hot wire in an outlet which is connected to several others. With a two prong tested I assume I touch one prong to a black wire one at a time. Not sure about the other. The ground wire? Thanks

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Re: Electrical question
Reply #1   Mar 28, 2005 10:09 am
Dear Jon,
There are a few ways in which to do this.
I am assuming that the outlet you are looking at is a single gang, (single duplex recepticle) box. 
If not, that's ok, we will still be able to help.
First, look on the left side of the recepticle, (facing it) and you should see two black wires screwed into the side of the outlet. If they are not there, then they are back wired. i'll assume for now that they are there.
Look to see if there is still the small piece of brass connecting the connection underneath the two screws. It should be there......the onmly time it is not is when someone puts each outlet of the recepticle on a separate circuit, which is rare.

OK.  Plug a radio into the recepticle, turn up the volume, then go to the panel box and turn off the currect breaker. The sound will turn off when you get the right one.
Unscrew the recepticle from the box, and pull it out a bit, so as to get to all screws easily.  A recepticle in the middle of a run usually has 2 black, (hot) wires, two white (neutral), and a copper ground wire attached to the green ground screw.

Disconnect the two black wires and do not allow them to touch anything.  Then go turn back on the breaker, then test each wire putting one probe on a black wire, and one on a white wire.  The "hot" wire will light your tester, the black wire that goes to the others "down the line" will not.  At this time, you could test other recepticles...the ones that are now not working are on this same circuit. Understand that there may be other recepticles that are also on this circuit that are still working because they are between the recepticle that you disconnected and the panel box.

I hope this helps.........if not, or you need further help, send me a PM and i'll give you my phone number to help you better.   I am not a electrician, but I completely wired my whole house with over 50 circuits, installed a whole house generator, etc.......I enjoy house wiring.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
robmints

Reply #2   Mar 28, 2005 7:11 pm
faithfulFrank wrote:

Look to see if there is still the small piece of brass connecting the connection underneath the two screws. It should be there......the onmly time it is not is when someone puts each outlet of the recepticle on a separate circuit, which is rare.

Not so rare at my house. I have 3 in the kitchen (so I can switch the under cabinet lights) and at least one in every room in the house ( to switch lights at the rooms doorway).

If I were you Jonathan, I would get someone to help me and show me in person.

That's my disclaimer.
This message was modified Mar 28, 2005 by robmints
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #3   Mar 28, 2005 8:37 pm
Thanks to you both. I'm wanting to replace a GFI and when I took the old one out, didn't mark the two black wires; one is "hot", coming from the breaker box, andf the other "load" going to the other outlets on the circuit. I picked up a simple one prong test light at Home Depot tonight. I think I will be able to use it to determine which wire is "hot" and hopefully go from there. 

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Mar 28, 2005 10:47 pm
Another suggestion. Use electrician screwdrivers! Rubber handles! You can pick em up at Sears, Ace Hardware, electrical supply's, etc.

You can also get them with insulated shafts.

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #5   Mar 29, 2005 7:18 pm
damn...and thats how i got this curly hair.

i should have asked questions...i only glow like a lightbulb now.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42