Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Hey Apple guys...getting a new mac....?

Community Discussions

Search For:
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Hey Apple guys...getting a new mac....?
Original Message   Mar 22, 2005 10:06 pm
Hey Guys that have Macs,
Well, as you know, I use a 2 year old 1 gig G4 "lamp style" 17" imac..........plan on using it for years to come........love the look, etc.
I bought my middle son a new 12" powerbook with superdrive, etc, at the time.....for college. He is a graphic arts person.

Well, he now is thinking that he may soon be in need of an upgrade.......his 12" powerbook is only 30 gigs, etc.  He says that now that he has two years of college under his belt, that he finds himself not needing the portability of a powerbook as much as he thought......never takes it to classes, etc, so he is now thinking about a new G5 imac.

At the same time, his dad....(Me).....has been really thinking about getting a new ibook or powerbook, so I have something to take to work, teaching, and have wireless at home.

My youngest son has also wanted his own computer, because he and I are always wanting to get on this one at the same time. This G4imac already has a big hard drive, good processor and a lot of ram, as well  as a superdrive.....all things he needs for his video work.

So............If I get the college boy a new G5 imac with a lot of Ram, etc,etc.............I'll  take his 2 year old powerbook, slap an airport extreme card in it, buy a new Airport express wifi setup for the house.............
I'll be then using MY OWN computer, freeing up the G4 imac for my youngest son, (but me still retaining ownership, etc, ) and my college boy will have a new computer to last him well into graduation.........

It would be great to surf the web from anywhere in the house...and work......

Now I'm thinking that I'll wait until "Tiger day"....perhaps as early as April 15th. Then I'll get a free Tiger OS with the new imac.....when Panther came out they gave 10% off, although the educational discount is around the same amount.  The rumors are saying that they are soon doubling the ram up to 512...(although he says he will need about a gig of ram), a CPU bump up of up to 2 gig.........free tiger, and maybe 10% off.

I also thought that if I had all my music on my itunes on the powerbook, perhaps I'll trade in the 20 gig ipod for the new ipod shuffle......but I'm not sure about that.

What do you mac guys think??

I'll be happy with my own laptop....college boy will be happy with a new G5 imac, youngest boy will be happy not having to share the G4 imac with Dad as much anymore......

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42