Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Filter Queen
Original Message   Mar 15, 2010 11:39 pm
I love my Filter Queen vacs so far; but want to know if the 360 style tools are good/bad or the old style tools are better?  Mine are the brown & salmon mdls (salmon one is suction-only; brown one has Mdl 88 Power Nozzle)

this is my mdl 31 Filterqueen

This message was modified Mar 21, 2010 by hooverman
Replies: 20 - 29 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
hooverman

Re: Filter Queen
Reply #20   Mar 24, 2010 7:15 pm
will Pine-Sol or Febreeze remove the odors?  Is it easy to take apart a FQ motor?
Venson

Reply #21   Mar 24, 2010 8:01 pm
hooverman wrote:
will Pine-Sol or Febreeze remove the odors?  Is it easy to take apart a FQ motor?

First, take the motor unit off the collection bin and let it run it to establish whether or not the odor still prevails.  If it still smells when it runs off the bin that means the problem lies within the motor unit.  Which may mean wiping out the uppershell and replacing the muffling material at the top of the machine.  That used to be a kind of cotton batting.  I do not know what the new material they use now is but it can be ordered from Filter Queen.

The cleaner that images of have been supplied of has been abused,  Note pic showing dirt inside filter cone. That should not be.  Be advised, if you want to take the vacuum apart, that's up to you however you must remember to take careful mental or written note, step by step, of what you did to disassemble it if you're not of the handy sort and want to get it back together again.

If the smell is not coming form the motor unit itself, remove the sealing ring at the top of the collection bin and hand wash it in warm not hot water with a general detergent of your choosing.  Good old dish detergent is always good.  Do not wash but wipe out the inside and outside of the  collection bin with a wrung out cloth using the detergent of your choice and let the bin dry thoroughly before putting the cleaner back together.  The plastic form for helping position the cone at thebottom may cause further problems by holding moisture underneath. Also do the same with the metal cone form attached to the motor unit.

Replace the hose.

Filter Queens usually are okay if the cones ar mounted properly and it the secondary filter is in place.  A second idea that often works if odors can be determined to be coming for from the motor unit is to place a couple of teaspoons of mot chrystals in the bin and let the cleaner run for a short while.  You may even let the machine sit with the crystals in the bin but by all means do check after a day or so to be sure that no rubber seals or fitting are affected.

For general odor problems, a few teaspoons of borax or baking soda vacuumed up may be very helpful.

Venson

hooverman

Reply #22   Mar 24, 2010 10:03 pm
I'll take the motor apart & clean it with Pine-Sol; or do the baking soda trick.  Moth crystals aggravate my allergies; tried that on another FQ.  Will post after pics soon; these were before I cleaned it up.
CarmineD

Reply #23   Mar 25, 2010 6:37 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Briefly Be it Bagless or Bagged, if your vacuum stinks after a couple of months of ownership and you've washed the filters and still smell that pet hair stench, the simplest way is to put the upright's hood on the base of a floor with the beater bar in the air, remove the belt and then do the following:

1. Clean the brush roll, especially if it has pet hair and threads wrapped around it.
  2. With an antibacterial cleaning cloth with bicarb of soda soaked in to continually wash out the dust channel. Depending on what vacuum you have (and for me its Sebo here) so its dead easy to clean out with a bendy wire or bottle cleaner with a "wet wipe" wrapped around and tied down with rubber bands. Constantly swabbing the interior of the dust channel gets rid of nasty dirt that suction can't move.
  3. Then I take off the entire hose and lay it in a bath of cold water and 4 tablespoons of bicarb of soda and some vinegar. I let the hose air dry and it can take a period of up to three days to ensure the hose is completely clean and smells clean! Ive also manually dried a hose by continually packing it up with cloths wrapped around a thick stick that won't bend or tear the hose.
  4. I don't know if you guys in the U.S get disposable cleaning cloths but they're all the fashion in the UK; ones with Orange oil aren't effective on vacuum hoses and dust channels. Antibacterial and/or non-abrasive coated "wet" cloths are ideal for "sterilising" a vacuum cleaner.
  5. Then I do the same to every tool I've used for pet hair pick up, crevice tool, upholstery brush and even lint brush.
  6. I then take a bendy wire again with antibacterial wipes or similar again and swab the back of the dust channel leading to the hose. You can then dry the inner channel with a dry cloth like a J Cloth. Until all tools and inner hoses have been completely cleaned out, then there's less of a chance that once everything else is installed and dry the reek of pet hair / that puke smell will be banished.
  7. Once everything is back in place, I sprinkle a load of bicarb powder into the carpets and let the vacuum cleaner pick it up to put in the bag. In the UK we don't really have the Arm & Hammer coated bags (even Electrolux stopped selling many of them) when it would make more sense to have bicarb/ in a paper bag or canister "live" as opposed to through layers of filter paper before the dirt.

Thank you but ...........this is resolution therapy after the fact not before.  I can see these procedures employed for a 50 year old FQ but a 4 year old dyson DC07?  Still under warranty?  Are these service procs reasonably probable and practical for dyson users on DC07 and 14 models to rid them of musty dirt and pet odors while still under warranty?  I think not.  I think they are unreasonable and even if employed are rarely effective.  Why?  These dyson models have unrealistic filter maintenance schedules [6-9 months for cleaning is too long and prone to hold odors] and the convoluted dirt paths and components on these dyson models.  Once the odors set in these dyson models it is virtually impossible to remove even with your remedies.  Why?  A user/repair tech can't replace/clean all the ports and parts where the tell tale odors remain and are emitted.  Many of which are permament and can't be removed/replaced like the brush bar.  These odor holding places get worse over time.  The users' remedy for these models with musty dirt and pet odors is with dyson, the BAF and the retailers.  Especially while still under warranty.

If you got stuck with one of these dyson models unbeknownst about the odors, what would you do if it were still under warranty.

Thanks,

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #24   Mar 25, 2010 7:05 am
When servicing the machine that smells like what you described animal pet odors is really the oil off the animals hair .Ever see the black gunk build up on the brush rolls?

The whole machine from front to back must be torn down and washed in a hot tank with simple green or something stronger,and that goes for the hose and attachments also.This is a  common problem with customers with long haired dogs that are not cleaned and groomed on a regular basis,[Every week]

This job is labor intensive and  not very pleasant for the person doing it.
I have done many in my  vacuum repair life.

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #25   Mar 25, 2010 7:06 am
Venson wrote:
 First, take the motor unit off the collection bin and let it run it to establish whether or not the odor still prevails.  If it still smells when it runs off the bin that means the problem lies within the motor unit.  Which may mean wiping out the uppershell and replacing the muffling material at the top of the machine.  That used to be a kind of cotton batting.  I do not know what the new material they use now is but it can be ordered from Filter Queen.

The cleaner that images of have been supplied of has been abused,  Note pic showing dirt inside filter cone. That should not be.  Be advised, if you want to take the vacuum apart, that's up to you however you must remember to take careful mental or written note, step by step, of what you did to disassemble it if you're not of the handy sort and want to get it back together again.

If the smell is not coming form the motor unit itself, remove the sealing ring at the top of the collection bin and hand wash it in warm not hot water with a general detergent of your choosing.  Good old dish detergent is always good.  Do not wash but wipe out the inside and outside of the  collection bin with a wrung out cloth using the detergent of your choice and let the bin dry thoroughly before putting the cleaner back together.  The plastic form for helping position the cone at thebottom may cause further problems by holding moisture underneath. Also do the same with the metal cone form attached to the motor unit.

Replace the hose.

Filter Queens usually are okay if the cones ar mounted properly and it the secondary filter is in place.  A second idea that often works if odors can be determined to be coming for from the motor unit is to place a couple of teaspoons of mot chrystals in the bin and let the cleaner run for a short while.  You may even let the machine sit with the crystals in the bin but by all means do check after a day or so to be sure that no rubber seals or fitting are affected.

For general odor problems, a few teaspoons of borax or baking soda vacuumed up may be very helpful.

Venson

Hello Venson:

As you know the fans and motor parts gets coated with dirt.  Cakes on too.  If the FQ vacuum sat unused for any long time the puke perfume smell gets absorbed into the caked on dirt in the motor parts and cavity.  Lingers on forever unless the parts and pieces are completely disassembeld, cleaned thoroughly down to the surfaces, or better replaced out.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #26   Mar 25, 2010 7:12 am
mole wrote:
When servicing the machine that smells like what you described animal pet odors is really the oil off the animals hair .Ever see the black gunk build up on the brush rolls?

The whole machine from front to back must be torn down and washed in a hot tank with simple green or something stronger,and that goes for the hose and attachments also.This is a  common problem with customers with long haired dogs that are not cleaned and groomed on a regular basis,[Every week]

MOLE

Bingo MOLE.  Thanks.  That pet oil actually serves as a sealant and causes the pet hair to stick on the surfaces and in the nooks and cranies.  Acts as a magnet for pet and dirt build up.  Can't blow that out with air.  Has to be washed and srubbed off of the surfaces.  Problem with dyson DC07 and 14 models with their convoluted dirt paths and parts is that this is virtually impossible because they can't be removed and washed.  How do you clean the permanent dirt path tube into the dirt bin on these models?

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #27   Mar 25, 2010 7:26 am
Well Carmine its really not worth doing it as far as a cost standpoint .It will happen again very quickly

Just see what happens when you tell your customers the DOG needs to go.
CarmineD

Reply #28   Mar 25, 2010 7:58 am
mole wrote:
Well Carmine its really not worth doing it as far as a cost standpoint .It will happen again very quickly

Just see what happens when you tell your customers the DOG needs to go.

Hi MOLE:

Not going to happen.  She and family are taken by the dog [after 7 years] but she got taken by dyson after 4.  The dyson will go and more than likely be replaced with a bagged upright vacuum, which she had and used before the dyson DC07 Animal.  She had odors but a bag and filter replacements corrected.  She'll vent to dyson and BAF.  On a positive note, the LV retailer where she purchased the dyson is agreeable to perhaps giving her a partial credit on the original cost of the DC07 for a new bagged upright replacement.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #29   Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am
mole wrote:

MOLE

Excellent MOLE.  No less than I would expect from a pro. As usual the wannabe pro could not answer the OP's question.  And as usual he hides his inadequate knowledge by getting 180 degrees off topic with the brand that bruised his sitter.
Replies: 20 - 29 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42