Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Filter Queen
Original Message   Mar 15, 2010 11:39 pm
I love my Filter Queen vacs so far; but want to know if the 360 style tools are good/bad or the old style tools are better?  Mine are the brown & salmon mdls (salmon one is suction-only; brown one has Mdl 88 Power Nozzle)

this is my mdl 31 Filterqueen

This message was modified Mar 21, 2010 by hooverman
Replies: 30 - 39 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Filter Queen
Reply #30   Mar 25, 2010 12:06 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I can't think of a vac warranty that covers odors.  Me thinks that you BS is smelling as much as any vac.
HARDSELL wrote:
Common sense tells me that any vacuum will omit odors if the odor omitting substance is left in the bag/bin.  Air has to pass through the bag same as the bin.  Hold a rag over your nose while in a port a pottie and it still smells like poop. 

If ol Rover's hair smells so foul he needs a shower. 

HARDSELL wrote:
Excellent MOLE.  No less than I would expect from a pro. As usual the wannabe pro could not answer the OP's question.  And as usual he hides his inadequate knowledge by getting 180 degrees off topic with the brand that bruised his sitter.

Here are the illustrious pronouncements you offered here HS.  And not one mention of baking soda?  I thought for sure you'd say throw some cheap Arm & Hammer BS into the luxury toyota and bagless bin to veil the toxic fumes and puke perfume odors.  What happened?  True to form.  You give up on it like you did dyson's DC07.  Smart move.  See I knew you weren't as dumb as you sound.  Next you'll be telling us to put nitrogen in our tires and claiming credit for the brilliant idea.

Seems others here have been bruised in their smellers by dysons too.  Don't take my word, read it yourself:  Better yet have someone who can, read it to you.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 25, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #31   Mar 25, 2010 12:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

As you know the fans and motor parts gets coated with dirt.  Cakes on too.  If the FQ vacuum sat unused for any long time the puke perfume smell gets absorbed into the caked on dirt in the motor parts and cavity.  Lingers on forever unless the parts and pieces are completely disassembeld, cleaned thoroughly down to the surfaces, or better replaced out.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I'm only offering the simplest solutions I can think of in this case.  None of the Filter Queens I've owned goit in that condition as the cellulose cone did amazing things. The filter cones were always seated properly and the secondary filters were always in place.  Never had a problem and everything after the filter cones stayed c;lean as a whistle except for a small amount of carbon dust off the brushes.

However (not meaning to beat a dead horse), from the look of it, the machine in question has been badly mishandled.  Unless you're a real technician, this is the kind of thing you clean up and de-funk as best you can as the cost to set it really right won't be worth it.  For what you'd pay you can buy either a fully fitted out used or re-furbed model in tip-top shape for the same money..

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #32   Mar 25, 2010 12:42 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I'm only offering the simplest solutions I can think of in this case.  None of the Filter Queens I've owned goit in that condition as the cellulose cone did amazing things. The filter cones were always seated properly and the secondary filters were always in place.  Never had a problem and everything after the filter cones stayed c;lean as a whistle except for a small amount of carbon dust off the brushes.

However (not meaning to beat a dead horse), from the look of it, the machine in question has been badly mishandled.  Unless you're a real technician, this is the kind of thing you clean up and de-funk as best you can as the cost to set it really right won't be worth it.  For what you'd pay you can buy either a fully fitted out used or re-furbed model in tip-top shape for the same money..

Venson

Hi Venson:  Thoroughly agree with you on this 50 year old FQ AND I would add for HS's benefit on the lady customer's 4 year old dyson DC07. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #33   Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:  Thoroughly agree with you on this 50 year old FQ AND I would add for HS's benefit on the lady customer's 4 year old dyson DC07. 

Carmine D.

Hi,

This one's around thirty-something.  A year or two prior the model fitted for a PN.  It has the two-speed switch (look just below the attachment crown) and the rug tool has a bumper.  Nonetheless, it is not a rarity and can be found on eBay just about any day of the week.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #34   Mar 25, 2010 1:22 pm
Thanks Venson:  Like dyson's odor filled DC07, this bagless FQ puke perfumed cann makes a good door stop for a lumber yard.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #35   Mar 25, 2010 1:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks Venson:  Like dyson's odor filled DC07, this bagless FQ puke perfumed cann makes a good door stop for a lumber yard.

Carmine D.

I well understand.  I've got two Rexair Bs that I'm going to have made into table lamps one of these years.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #36   Mar 25, 2010 2:17 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thank you but ...........this is resolution therapy after the fact not before.  I can see these procedures employed for a 50 year old FQ but a 4 year old dyson DC07?  Still under warranty?  Are these service procs reasonably probable and practical for dyson users on DC07 and 14 models to rid them of musty dirt and pet odors while still under warranty?  I think not.  I think they are unreasonable and even if employed are rarely effective.  Why?  These dyson models have unrealistic filter maintenance schedules [6-9 months for cleaning is too long and prone to hold odors] and the convoluted dirt paths and components on these dyson models.  Once the odors set in these dyson models it is virtually impossible to remove even with your remedies.  Why?  A user/repair tech can't replace/clean all the ports and parts where the tell tale odors remain and are emitted.  Many of which are permament and can't be removed/replaced like the brush bar.  These odor holding places get worse over time.  The users' remedy for these models with musty dirt and pet odors is with dyson, the BAF and the retailers.  Especially while still under warranty.

If you got stuck with one of these dyson models unbeknownst about the odors, what would you do if it were still under warranty.

Thanks,

Carmine D.

Carmine - warranties do NOT cover dust smells - it is upto the owner who cleans their vacuums out and the filter maintenance. After all, do buyers send back their ovens when the "stay clean" liners are dirty? I dont think so! There are so many buyers I know who have NOT read the manual and have installed a damp filter back into a vacuum cleaner hoping that in some of the construction and design, the actual vacuum will dry out the filter. Not so! Indeed when I sent my Vax Mach Air back to Vax following a hinge damage on the floor head that turned out to be a design fault they threatened to charge anyone who sends back a vacuum with a dirty filter by charging them £35. This charge is not unheard of; Miele and Sebo also frown upon machines having at least a clean filter if it is to be sent back in for suction / filter repairs.. Infact I do believe that Dyson user manuals state the filters "should be washed around 6 months," but they also state clearly that if the filter is looking dirty, it should be washed in a shorter time..
CarmineD

Reply #37   Mar 25, 2010 4:51 pm
FYI, both filters on this dyson DC07, which is ready for the dump due to the odors, were replaced several months ago.  They are clean.  The problem with the pet musty odor is embedded in the dyson's inner parts and ports.  The smell will never ever go away.  Just get worse.  I have no doubt that if any user's manual for an appliance listed the steps you elaborated above to keep them clean/odor free, they would never sell a single solitary unit, especially if they were $600 and sold with the hyped claim that they had ZERO maintenance costs for 5 years, like these dyson models did. 

I completely agree with 3 dyson steps since August 2006 when dyson's warranty was extended from 2 to 5 years.  One, the shorter filter cleaning schedules on models like the DC16 and later dysons to 2-3 months from the 6-9 months on DC07 and DC14.  Two, the discontinuance by dyson of the disingenuous claim that these dyson vacuums NEVER clog.  Three, that these 2 dyson models were discontinued just a few years into their production runs.  Did any other vacuum brand with its supposed signature models [launched its brand worldwide] discontinue their models within just a few years of their production?  I can't name one except dyson and these DC07 and DC14 models. 

Products are not made and marketed for the convenience of the product makers and the retailers.  They SHOULD be made and marketed for the convenience and ease of use by the buyers.  Especially when the price is $600 for a vacuum [and $60,000 for a vehicle].  Imagine buying a luxury foreign car and having 4 recalls on it in less than one year and being told by the CEO of the company [AKA The Prince] that the brand is the epitomy of reliability.   Really?  What dictionary is he using?  Like having 3 major product flaws on a signature model [s] and having the company discontinue them while still under the original warranty period.  

Carmine D. 

A postscript:  Add step 4 by Sir James Dyson and his bagless vacuum inventors:  Discontinuance for all time and on all future dyson models of the gawdawful clutches on the DC07 and DC14 models. 

This message was modified Mar 25, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #38   Mar 25, 2010 9:59 pm
One possible option for getting rid of the smell is to use the clean up a big box of baking soda or possibly some capture dry carpet cleaner.   Perhaps these things would absorb some/most of the odor?   

Or would it be better to "sand blast" the insides of the Dyson by picking up some sand? 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #39   Mar 26, 2010 6:21 am
Venson wrote:
I well understand.  I've got two Rexair Bs that I'm going to have made into table lamps one of these years.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Back in the day we vacuum pros called these Rexairs "water hydrants" for obvious reasons.  The only thing I did with them was use them as filler in my store display windows.  I still have the black and white photos somewhere around with them in the windows.

Carmine D.

Replies: 30 - 39 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42