Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Please pick my vacuum for me

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
nhmatt

Please pick my vacuum for me
Original Message   Feb 14, 2010 12:36 pm
My wife and I have owned about 10 vacuums in 20 years.  The first 5 were yardsale, then a Dirt Devil, then a Hoover, then an older Electrolux which worked awesome untill it caught on fire, then a Kenmore, then another Kenmore, then I got fed up and installed central vac.  NOW WE'RE TALKIN!

Well, she made me move and central vac would ba a real pita to install and it aint gonna happen. A friend of ours gave us a Kriby G5 (yeah, she hated it so much she gave it away) but its too much of a pain because we're 50/50 hardwood+tile and rug.  We currently own another $200 Kenmore, which I don't understand why they stink so bad now because my mom had the same one for about 20 years.  Now my mom has owned a Miele for about 10 and its still good as new.  I just can get past the $1200.

Is there a huge difference between the $1200 Miele Capricorn and the $700 Miele Pisces?  What about electrolux? Our house is 3 floors and about 4000+sqft.  I want a fast vacuum.

Replies: 24 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Please pick my vacuum for me
Reply #24   Feb 16, 2010 6:54 pm
nhmatt wrote:
Ended up with a Miele Jubilee, color silver passion. Free 3' crevice tool, which is long enough for even the most remote cobwebs in our house.   I went for the 236 powerhead, because is has lights, mostly.  Its also easier to push.  After trying the Capricorn, I really wanted the cool buttons but controlled myself.  I went with a local distributor.  Not much difference between the online and the locals.  Miele seems to keep a pretty tight grip on their channel partners, and probably doesn't offer too much in the way of volume discounting.  I also like the haggling!  I saved  $50 and got a free box of bags.

As far as buying an American vs Foreign:  Bigger faster stronger lighter cheaper is the American Way. 

Hi nhmatt,

Enjoy the new vacuum.

Best,

Venson

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #25   Feb 17, 2010 2:07 am
nhnutt;

You did well by purchasing the 236 deluxe power nozzle, because it will do a more thorough job of cleaning carpeting.  This is especially true if you have thicker carpeting and/or have animal hair to contend with.

You said that, "We currently own another $200 Kenmore, which I don't understand why they stink so bad now because my mom had the same one for about 20 years."  I'm not sure if you mean literally or figuratively.  If it is literal, it all depends on each household.  Your house/living situation can be different from your mother's.  If you are talking about performance, quality, reliability, then that has to do w/Sears trying to stay competitive w/the likes of Dirt Devil, HOOVER, Euro Pro, etc.  I am talking vacuum cleaner price tags.
CarmineD

Reply #26   Feb 17, 2010 6:29 am
You say you saved $50 and got free bags:  The question [not really a question but THE ISSUE] is what you paid for it.

I'll be the first to sing German MIELE vacuum praises.  But produce them in China and charge $1000 US and MIELE can put them where the sun never shines.  It would be a major insult to buyers and a huge mistake if MIELE, after 75 years of top quality and pristine reputation, moves production of any/all of its vacuums to China.  I would advise vacuum buyers to tell MIELE: Auf Wiedersehen.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 17, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #27   Feb 17, 2010 9:21 am
CarmineD wrote:
You say you saved $50 and got free bags:  The question [not really a question but THE ISSUE] is what you paid for it. . . .
Carmine D.

Hi,

It's water under the bridge at this point but the Jubilee is on the Miele "retired" models list.  http://miele.com/products/models.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=27&cat=1&subcat=1&menu_id=5

The current match to Jubilee would be the Calisto with the SEB228 PN.  Miele is offering that online for $929. Being the Jubilee is discontinued model, it with an SEB236 would be a nice buy for $750 tops.

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #28   Feb 17, 2010 2:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You say you saved $50 and got free bags:  The question [not really a question but THE ISSUE] is what you paid for it.

I'll be the first to sing German MIELE vacuum praises.  But produce them in China and charge $1000 US and MIELE can put them where the sun never shines.  It would be a major insult to buyers and a huge mistake if MIELE, after 75 years of top quality and pristine reputation, moves production of any/all of its vacuums to China.  I would advise vacuum buyers to tell MIELE: Auf Wiedersehen.

Carmine D.

Carmine I'm missing the point of your repeated retorts on Made in China $1,000.00 Miele's. What is that in reference to?
Scott

Reply #29   Feb 17, 2010 3:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
...produce them in China and charge $1000 US and MIELE can put them where the sun never shines.

Miele S2, S4, S5 and S7 machines are made in Germany.

Miele's S500 canisters and S160 stick vacs available since the S5 line was unveiled were assembled in China.  These were all budget machines; not in the same league as those made in Bielefeld.

Here in Canada, all Chinese assembled Miele's have been discontinued since the arrival of the S2 series.  Not sure if this has happened yet in the US market, though...

Venson

Reply #30   Feb 17, 2010 3:42 pm
Scott wrote:
Miele S2, S4, S5 and S7 machines are made in Germany.

Miele's S500 canisters and S160 stick vacs available since the S5 line was unveiled were assembled in China.  These were all budget machines; not in the same league as those made in Bielefeld.

Here in Canada, all Chinese assembled Miele's have been discontinued since the arrival of the S2 series.  Not sure if this has happened yet in the US market, though...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the clarification.

Venson

nhmatt

Reply #31   Feb 17, 2010 6:44 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

It's water under the bridge at this point but the Jubilee is on the Miele "retired" models list.  http://miele.com/products/models.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=27&cat=1&subcat=1&menu_id=5

The current match to Jubilee would be the Calisto with the SEB228 PN.  Miele is offering that online for $929. Being the Jubilee is discontinued model, it with an SEB236 would be a nice buy for $750 tops.

Venson          

Vacuum was manufactured in Oct 2009.   Its the same model as the Callisto.  Cost was $900 w/ the 236 head.  2 yr warranty on all parts 7 yr warranty on motor.  Discontinued model is the same as any other Miele, unless I was worried about resale value.  I looked for a month and other than Ebay resale/out of box/not a dealer people this was the best deal I  came across.

Venson

Reply #32   Feb 17, 2010 7:27 pm
nhmatt wrote:
Vacuum was manufactured in Oct 2009.   Its the same model as the Callisto.  Cost was $900 w/ the 236 head.  2 yr warranty on all parts 7 yr warranty on motor.  Discontinued model is the same as any other Miele, unless I was worried about resale value.  I looked for a month and other than Ebay resale/out of box/not a dealer people this was the best deal I  came across.

Hi nhmatt,

No point of contention here.  My thinking was that you might be able to wangle a Capricorn for around $900.  That's the same price I landed mine for.  The big difference between the two is the electronic suction adjustment which puts complete control of the machine in your hand. That you have already said you could live without. This is not a big issue as I've owned vacuums I've like as much with less accoutrements.

The real issue is -- if you're happy we should be too.  Enjoy the new Miele and use it long and well.

Venson

PS -- By the way, for private owners, resale value may mean little or nothing as the buyer's assurance may have to be based only on the sellers word. 

nhmatt

Reply #33   Mar 2, 2010 8:08 pm
Update:

It cleans.  The larger SB300 head helps a ton when cleaning the large floors.  The powerhead is almost too strong.  There are a couple of corners it pulled the rug back with it.  No smells.  I like the bag unit, on-board storage, ESPECIALLY the telescoping wand.   Its a little heavy, but smaller so it fits in the closet a little better.

Suction control on the wand is not worth $250.  I'm happy with the model, and very impressed with the vacuum.

Replies: 24 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42