Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Please pick my vacuum for me

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
nhmatt

Please pick my vacuum for me
Original Message   Feb 14, 2010 12:36 pm
My wife and I have owned about 10 vacuums in 20 years.  The first 5 were yardsale, then a Dirt Devil, then a Hoover, then an older Electrolux which worked awesome untill it caught on fire, then a Kenmore, then another Kenmore, then I got fed up and installed central vac.  NOW WE'RE TALKIN!

Well, she made me move and central vac would ba a real pita to install and it aint gonna happen. A friend of ours gave us a Kriby G5 (yeah, she hated it so much she gave it away) but its too much of a pain because we're 50/50 hardwood+tile and rug.  We currently own another $200 Kenmore, which I don't understand why they stink so bad now because my mom had the same one for about 20 years.  Now my mom has owned a Miele for about 10 and its still good as new.  I just can get past the $1200.

Is there a huge difference between the $1200 Miele Capricorn and the $700 Miele Pisces?  What about electrolux? Our house is 3 floors and about 4000+sqft.  I want a fast vacuum.

Replies: 1 - 33 of 33View as Outline
Hertz

Re: Please pick my vacuum for me
Reply #1   Feb 14, 2010 3:11 pm
A used Aerus Lux from this guy: http://www.vacuumman.com/canister.html would do you REAL nice and last you damn near forever. The newer Eurekalux's are VERY decent to VERY good, however they won't last NEARLY as long - maybe 5-7-9 years or so? Anyways, I've heard these are VERY good, as well: http://www.cpoelectrolux.com/products/el7020a-r.html You can get a nice S4 or S2 Miele for under $500 if you're really strapped for cash, or one of the Made in China Miele's that use German parts - just ASSEMBLED in China due to their previous uprights coming from there (I think) and are JUST as high quality - if not only 95% as high quality as their German counterparts for around $500: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009DXLP4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007NXWJG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=12HD7C9CA83GQEQD4973 Dyson makes good stuff that - if TAKEN CARE OF - will last a good 5-10 years, ESPECIALLY their canisters, well I would think I anyways given canisters get less push/pull force than an upright. That's all I would suggest dude, except like a FiterQueen or other door to door product.
Hertz

Reply #2   Feb 14, 2010 3:24 pm
Oh yeah, Sebo makes GREAT stuff, too. You get one of their K series for relatively cheap and it should last you a good 20 years: http://www.amazon.com/Sebo-Air-belt-Canister-Vacuum/dp/B0002U387U Also, check THIS OUT: http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/electrolux-ultra-silencer-green-canister-vacuum-cleaners-el6984.html?itemId=2549 Gets you a high quality machine and you get to help the environment! All at the same time :D
Venson

Reply #3   Feb 14, 2010 3:50 pm
nhmatt wrote:

. . . . Is there a huge difference between the $1200 Miele Capricorn and the $700 Miele Pisces? 

Hi,

No one here can pick a vacuum for you.  We can only suggest.  You know best what your needs are and none of us match up as to how we individually employ our vacuums.  As you've gone through 10 vacuums in 20 years I kind of guess you work yours a bit hard.  Also, be advised there is no such thing as a fast vacuum.  Even the best of vacuums have to be allowed x-time to work if you want a thorough job accomplished on carpeting.  That may mean, depending on how dirty the rug is, about two to three seconds per a one-foot pass.

The next thing I'd say, if you are seriously considering a large outlay of cash for a vacuum, is that the Miele Capricorn with the top of the line power nozzle (the lighted 236) is a great combination and not a bad investment.  And then the next thing I'd say is don't spend $1,200 on it.  Go to a local vacuum shop that sells Miele and tell them you like the Capricorn but that you're not prepared to pay more than $850 for it.  They'll probably want to wrestle a little but if you get a firm offer of $900 you will have done well. 

I do not recommend the Miele Pisces as a turbine driven rug tool is not worth the investment expected.  There are those who will say to the contrary and to whom I'll reply -- there's one born everyday.

The down side to buying Miele despite the long warranty and good quality potential is that consumables like bags and filters can be a drain on the budget.  It costs about 19 bucks for a pack of five high filtration bags.  Replacement HEPA filters can run as high as $50.

Whatever you buy, be sure to empty or change bags when you reach the three-fourths full point.  Check your floors for stuff the vacuum can well live without -- small toys, pins, pebbles and socks -- before you start cleaning.

Best,

Venson

nhmatt

Reply #4   Feb 14, 2010 4:18 pm
So $900.00 from a local Miele rep wouldn't be a insult?  I'm tempted to by one of the Chinese versions.  I see no difference between paying a German citizen to assemble my vacuum that a Chinese one.  I want the S5 canister and the big lighted power brush.
Venson

Reply #5   Feb 14, 2010 6:49 pm
nhmatt wrote:
So $900.00 from a local Miele rep wouldn't be a insult?  I'm tempted to by one of the Chinese versions.  I see no difference between paying a German citizen to assemble my vacuum that a Chinese one.  I want the S5 canister and the big lighted power brush.

Hi,

One of the things I've learned over the the last few years is that the consumer does not always have to go along with being just a pawn on the board.  Research the thing you want to buy.  Research what it's best price is and be assertive by stating specifically what you want and what you're prepared to pay.

Personally, I'm not out to sell anyone anything.  Nonetheless, I do know that bargaining is often very possible at independent vacuum stores.  The big deal with Miele is warranty time. 

Also check out good performing Riccar and Simplicity whose canisters are made here and also come with decent warranties.

Venson

Hertz

Reply #6   Feb 14, 2010 9:41 pm
Venson wrote:

Also check out good performing Riccar and Simplicity whose canisters are made here and also come with decent warranties.

Venson

Riccar and Simplicity canisters are *NOT* Made in U.S.A! They are actually made in Korea by the same manufacturer (and ALL of both companies vacuums are made by one company - Tacony), but they're moving the assembly of their canisters over to the U.S.A soon. (from what I've heard of respectable vacuum store owners) They also DO NOT even level with a Miele in terms of build quality. Better than the Sweden Eurekalux Oxygen 3, for sure, but NOT a Miele or the ORIGINAL AMERICAN Aerus Electrolux. I would say the Aerus machines take the cake in terms of best build quality, then Miele, then Sebo, then Riccar/Simplicity. ALSO ALSO ALSO, check out the Perfect PowerTeam canister: - It's basically a REAL, GENUINE, AMERICAN Aerus Electrolux Marquis/Silverado/Ultralux canister with one of *THE* most powerful motors a personal vacuum has ever seen - including beating some central vacuums - and is VERY well built; I personally used and inspected one myself yesterday and DAMN is it a solid machine! VERY well made with EXCEPTIONAL suction and VERY good airflow - though I've heard and read that the airflow is actually better than nearly any central vacuum out there: http://www.vacuumland.org/TD/THREADS/MODERN/7726.htm?20 - Read "Elux89"'s post, and he tells that it's basically THE most powerful and best performing vacuum you can buy, as WELL as it being VERY well made AND quiet, to boot! You can call Nationwide Manufacturing - the makers of this re-incarnation of one of the best Electrolux's (and some say the best vacuum period) ever made, with even BETTER features - and ask them about their 10/5 year warranty: http://www.shopnss.com/ They told me 5 years on the motor, and 10 years on the whole body itself. Call this guy:http://www.1800vacs.com/product.sc?productId=257 - to get a deal of under $600 and you've arguably got THE best deal out there for a new vacuum.
CarmineD

Reply #7   Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

One of the things I've learned over the the last few years is that the consumer does not always have to go along with being just a pawn on the board.  Research the thing you want to buy.  Research what it's best price is and be assertive by stating specifically what you want and what you're prepared to pay.

Personally, I'm not out to sell anyone anything.  Nonetheless, I do know that bargaining is often very possible at independent vacuum stores.  The big deal with Miele is warranty time. 

Venson

Hello Venson:

When Channel 4 news first broke the story about Tacony vacuums made in the USA in April 2009, it was claimed that the cann production would be moved from Korea/China to St. James MO plant in 6 months.  I suspect it will be a transitional conversion with cann models transferred to the state's production on a piece meal basis.  If that's true [about the 6 months], you're right.  It's been 10 months since the announcement and some of the canns should be coming off the USA production lines.  Haven't talked with the local RICCAR/SIMPLICITY dealers here yet but will and ask about the time table for USA made canns.  Thanks for bringing this up here.  I'll make a note to ask this week when I stop by my friend's store.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Feb 14, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #8   Feb 14, 2010 11:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

When Channel 4 news first broke the story about Tacony vacuums made in the USA in April 2009, it was claimed that the cann production would be moved from Korea/China to St. James MO plant in 6 months.  I suspect it will be a transitional conversion with cann models transferred to the state's production on a piece meal basis.  If that's true [about the 6 months], you're right.  It's been 10 months since the announcement and some of the canns should be coming off the USA production lines.  Haven't talked with the local RICCAR/SIMPLICITY dealers here yet but will and ask about the time table for USA made canns.  Thanks for bringing this up here.  I'll make a note to ask this week when I stop by my friend's store.

Carmine D. 

Thanks Carmine,

The Riccar website says, and has been saying, "Made in America" http://www.riccar.com/ .  If this is not so then I guess it means someone has been lying to us and should be taken to task.

In any event, these days it does not matter much where a vacuum comes from as long as it works well.  Even if a vacuum is assembled in the U.S. that does not say that many its components -- tools, boards, hoses -- are not imports.

The johnny-come-latelies really need to get over baloney about saving the day by buying American -- the deal's done and was cinched about ten million Toyotas and Sony TVs ago. It's pure hypocrosy.  If you acquired a new computer, television, iPod or even a microwave in the last year or so -- where'd they come from?  Detroit?

For those of us who want to keep money in the country in some little way, there's plenty of good used and refurbed vacuums out there for those that want them.  What could be more good old American and resourceful than recycling though it won't put much of a dent in the market.

Nonetheless, other issues are also important influences in regard to buying outside this country.  Americans have always put great stock in foreign made goods albeit mostly specialty items.  For years we have looked to the Swiss for time pieces and have spent all kinds of money on German and Italian cars.  I even flew Lufthansa because a German I knew was such an anal retentive that, thinking the rest of his countrymen might be as much the same sticklers for detail,  I felt assured that nary a nut or bolt would go unchecked before take-off.

I'm particularly sensitive re the issue of revenue gained from us by other countries through the sacrifices of low paid labor.  It was quite interesting for me to learn, as an instance, of China's decision to rein in lending and that it had quite an effect on our stock market last week.  Remember back in the day when we used to lend China money? 

Whether you buy product whole or in part from Germany, China, Korea or Timbuktu, what does buying American mean now?  Nothing. The clock cannot be turned back.  Better to look for product that you feel works for you, buy it and be done with it.

Venson

Venson

Reply #9   Feb 14, 2010 11:17 pm
By the way, when you  get past the Riccar's "Made In the USA" page, the company sees things this way . . .

http://www.riccar.com/about-us/

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #10   Feb 15, 2010 6:00 am
Sebo's K isn't ideal for everything and its a compact vacuum cleaner with a pretty small dust bag. Ideal for small flats and homes maybe but based on the capacity of your vacuum seek out an old Windsor-Sebo upright if you can find one in the U.S or any large 5 litre dust bag Miele cylinder. Miele do make the new S7 and you could get a good deal in the U.S depending on the model. Crucially go for the basic Miele S7 - I think it's called Tango in the U.S? There isn't a vast difference between the models as you can upgrade the filters as you go and the higher priced models have a headlight and a difference of variable suction controls.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Feb 15, 2010 6:41 am
Venson wrote:

I'm particularly sensitive re the issue of revenue gained from us by other countries through the sacrifices of low paid labor.  It was quite interesting for me to learn, as an instance, of China's decision to rein in lending and that it had quite an effect on our stock market last week.  Remember back in the day when we used to lend China money? 

Whether you buy product whole or in part from Germany, China, Korea or Timbuktu, what does buying American mean now?  Nothing. The clock cannot be turned back.  Better to look for product that you feel works for you, buy it and be done with it.

Venson

China is the largest buyer of US debt; aka US Treasuries.  Thomas Jefferson, founding father, said:  "...you are a slave to the person who lends you money."  True then and, based on the US stock market reaction last week, true now.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #12   Feb 15, 2010 7:02 am
vacmanuk wrote:
. . . . Crucially go for the basic Miele S7 - I think it's called Tango in the U.S? There isn't a vast difference between the models as you can upgrade the filters as you go and the higher priced models have a headlight and a difference of variable suction controls.

Hi vacmanuk,

I think you're actually referring to the Miele Salsa, the bright red Model 7280 with the dial power adjust.  The Tango, Model 7580, is a darker metallic cherry red and has the electronic speed adjustment.

The best benefit of Sebo uprights is that they can be easily dismantled to get at clogs and brush and belt maintenance are also very user friendly in manner.

Venson

HARDSELL

Reply #13   Feb 15, 2010 8:52 am
CarmineD wrote:
China is the largest buyer of US debt; aka US Treasuries.  Thomas Jefferson, founding father, said:  "...you are a slave to the person who lends you money."  True then and, based on the US stock market reaction last week, true now.

Carmine D.

The US is destined to become a slave to all countries if the current path is followed.

To me at least it does matter where a product is made.  If all goods are made outside the US where will the US citizens get the money to buy the goods?  Corporate America with it's greed is outsourcing it's manufacturing to other countries, importing them into the US and shoving it down our throat. The attitude that we should simply accept this is what they want.  If we do not rebel and quit buying these imports we are doomed to become nothing more than slaves.

Do we follow our leader and bow to those other countries while telling them how ignorant we are.

Our pres proclaimed that we will assist Haiti.  I believe we have been helping them since about 1915.

nhmatt

Reply #14   Feb 15, 2010 9:15 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Thomas Jefferson died with over $100,000 in unpaid debts.  He'd sold his books, his land,sacrificed his dignity to a land auction,  and in the end everything he ever owned (including people) were auctioned off.  He died with nothing.  That's why he felt like a slave, but I doubt that was much comfort to the people who ACTUALLY WERE SLAVES.  In the end he made the choice to keep good wine and parties and left his principles on the parchment.

I've got no problem buying American/German engineering from Chinese workers who are content to be paid with scraps of paper so they can buy oil that is priced with the same scraps of paper.  When you think of it, it doesn't matter where you buy it as long as you buy with American money!

HARDSELL

Reply #15   Feb 15, 2010 9:47 am
nhmatt wrote:
Thomas Jefferson died with over $100,000 in unpaid debts.  He'd sold his books, his land,sacrificed his dignity to a land auction,  and in the end everything he ever owned (including people) were auctioned off.  He died with nothing.  That's why he felt like a slave, but I doubt that was much comfort to the people who ACTUALLY WERE SLAVES.  In the end he made the choice to keep good wine and parties and left his principles on the parchment.

I've got no problem buying American/German engineering from Chinese workers who are content to be paid with scraps of paper so they can buy oil that is priced with the same scraps of paper.  When you think of it, it doesn't matter where you buy it as long as you buy with American money!

How long will American money be available.  With all the unemployment it may be gone sooner than you think. 

Looks like Thomas was speaking from experience.  Also seems he lived like today's bank execs and corporate execs. 

Venson

Reply #16   Feb 15, 2010 11:18 am
Hi guys,

I just did a quick search regarding "career opportunities" by way of some of the vacuum manufacturers we buy from that have offices here in the U.S. 

TTI has posted a total 13 job slots within its U.S. locations, Miele USA has 5 up.  Tacony offers no number of open job slots on its web page but recommends that interested parties send their resumes.  However, Tacony also says -- "Most of our positions are filled by referrals from existing associates, customers and consumers who use and enjoy our products."

Seems like awful slim pickings for companies of their size.  Then, maybe not.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #17   Feb 15, 2010 1:30 pm
nhmatt wrote:

Considering the personal and professional legacy he left behind, the debt amount he left behind when he died at 83 years of age is a mere pittance.  I thought his debts were much more.

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #18   Feb 15, 2010 1:56 pm
Let's bring this thread back to "Please pick my vacuum for me"
nhmatt

Reply #19   Feb 15, 2010 2:17 pm
Buying the Miele.  Either the Capricorn or the Callisto.  I really want both the 217 and the 236 head, but I'll probably go with the 228 and just split the difference. 
vacmanuk

Reply #20   Feb 15, 2010 5:33 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

I think you're actually referring to the Miele Salsa, the bright red Model 7280 with the dial power adjust.  The Tango, Model 7580, is a darker metallic cherry red and has the electronic speed adjustment.

The best benefit of Sebo uprights is that they can be easily dismantled to get at clogs and brush and belt maintenance are also very user friendly in manner.

Venson

Yes Venson I think I was confused - here in the UK the Miele S7's just go by model number and body colour change.

I wouldn't suggest a Sebo upright though - despite the fact that it can be dismantled - the buyer here needs something for tiles and rugs. The Sebo X range has an inherent problem of sensing grout in tiling - fair enough if it is level tiling, but generally the sensor wheel can get confused and change down too early for the brushes to hit the floor. Then IF the upright is put onto carpet the red brush roll light comes on as a problem. Sebo do warn about using their X vacuums on tiling with grout lines (here in the UK) as it can damage the electronics and ultimately the hydrallic arm that holds the sensor wheel in.. Sebo's Felix is a better bet but they are expensive in the U.S unless the buyer can find a second hand Dart commercial upright or a similar one  - the Dart/felix does without the sensor auto adjusting head and could in theory cope with multi flooring styles and substances. However like the Sebo K cylinders, the Felix/Dart uses a smaller dust bag.
CarmineD

Reply #21   Feb 16, 2010 8:01 am
Mike_W wrote:
Let's bring this thread back to "Please pick my vacuum for me"

It never strayed.  We have here a vacuum buyer who went from the Poor Richard approach of Ben Franklin [with yard sale purchases for 10 plus years] to the extravagance of Thomas Jefferson with a slave owner and buyer's approach:  $1000 MIELE made in China.  I suggest now a middle of the road approach of both extremes:  A rebuilt from a indy with a good rep/warranty.  Very appropropriate thread for President's Day, wouldn't you say Mike W! 

How's that toyota vehicle working out for you?

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #22   Feb 16, 2010 2:45 pm
nhmatt;

As Moderator, I want to tell you that I appreciate you bringing this thread back on topic.  No argument, discussion, etc.-Perfect!
nhmatt

Reply #23   Feb 16, 2010 5:41 pm
Ended up with a Miele Jubilee, color silver passion. Free 3' crevice tool, which is long enough for even the most remote cobwebs in our house.   I went for the 236 powerhead, because is has lights, mostly.  Its also easier to push.  After trying the Capricorn, I really wanted the cool buttons but controlled myself.  I went with a local distributor.  Not much difference between the online and the locals.  Miele seems to keep a pretty tight grip on their channel partners, and probably doesn't offer too much in the way of volume discounting.  I also like the haggling!  I saved  $50 and got a free box of bags.

As far as buying an American vs Foreign:  Bigger faster stronger lighter cheaper is the American Way. 

Venson

Reply #24   Feb 16, 2010 6:54 pm
nhmatt wrote:
Ended up with a Miele Jubilee, color silver passion. Free 3' crevice tool, which is long enough for even the most remote cobwebs in our house.   I went for the 236 powerhead, because is has lights, mostly.  Its also easier to push.  After trying the Capricorn, I really wanted the cool buttons but controlled myself.  I went with a local distributor.  Not much difference between the online and the locals.  Miele seems to keep a pretty tight grip on their channel partners, and probably doesn't offer too much in the way of volume discounting.  I also like the haggling!  I saved  $50 and got a free box of bags.

As far as buying an American vs Foreign:  Bigger faster stronger lighter cheaper is the American Way. 

Hi nhmatt,

Enjoy the new vacuum.

Best,

Venson

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #25   Feb 17, 2010 2:07 am
nhnutt;

You did well by purchasing the 236 deluxe power nozzle, because it will do a more thorough job of cleaning carpeting.  This is especially true if you have thicker carpeting and/or have animal hair to contend with.

You said that, "We currently own another $200 Kenmore, which I don't understand why they stink so bad now because my mom had the same one for about 20 years."  I'm not sure if you mean literally or figuratively.  If it is literal, it all depends on each household.  Your house/living situation can be different from your mother's.  If you are talking about performance, quality, reliability, then that has to do w/Sears trying to stay competitive w/the likes of Dirt Devil, HOOVER, Euro Pro, etc.  I am talking vacuum cleaner price tags.
CarmineD

Reply #26   Feb 17, 2010 6:29 am
You say you saved $50 and got free bags:  The question [not really a question but THE ISSUE] is what you paid for it.

I'll be the first to sing German MIELE vacuum praises.  But produce them in China and charge $1000 US and MIELE can put them where the sun never shines.  It would be a major insult to buyers and a huge mistake if MIELE, after 75 years of top quality and pristine reputation, moves production of any/all of its vacuums to China.  I would advise vacuum buyers to tell MIELE: Auf Wiedersehen.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 17, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #27   Feb 17, 2010 9:21 am
CarmineD wrote:
You say you saved $50 and got free bags:  The question [not really a question but THE ISSUE] is what you paid for it. . . .
Carmine D.

Hi,

It's water under the bridge at this point but the Jubilee is on the Miele "retired" models list.  http://miele.com/products/models.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=27&cat=1&subcat=1&menu_id=5

The current match to Jubilee would be the Calisto with the SEB228 PN.  Miele is offering that online for $929. Being the Jubilee is discontinued model, it with an SEB236 would be a nice buy for $750 tops.

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #28   Feb 17, 2010 2:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You say you saved $50 and got free bags:  The question [not really a question but THE ISSUE] is what you paid for it.

I'll be the first to sing German MIELE vacuum praises.  But produce them in China and charge $1000 US and MIELE can put them where the sun never shines.  It would be a major insult to buyers and a huge mistake if MIELE, after 75 years of top quality and pristine reputation, moves production of any/all of its vacuums to China.  I would advise vacuum buyers to tell MIELE: Auf Wiedersehen.

Carmine D.

Carmine I'm missing the point of your repeated retorts on Made in China $1,000.00 Miele's. What is that in reference to?
Scott

Reply #29   Feb 17, 2010 3:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
...produce them in China and charge $1000 US and MIELE can put them where the sun never shines.

Miele S2, S4, S5 and S7 machines are made in Germany.

Miele's S500 canisters and S160 stick vacs available since the S5 line was unveiled were assembled in China.  These were all budget machines; not in the same league as those made in Bielefeld.

Here in Canada, all Chinese assembled Miele's have been discontinued since the arrival of the S2 series.  Not sure if this has happened yet in the US market, though...

Venson

Reply #30   Feb 17, 2010 3:42 pm
Scott wrote:
Miele S2, S4, S5 and S7 machines are made in Germany.

Miele's S500 canisters and S160 stick vacs available since the S5 line was unveiled were assembled in China.  These were all budget machines; not in the same league as those made in Bielefeld.

Here in Canada, all Chinese assembled Miele's have been discontinued since the arrival of the S2 series.  Not sure if this has happened yet in the US market, though...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the clarification.

Venson

nhmatt

Reply #31   Feb 17, 2010 6:44 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

It's water under the bridge at this point but the Jubilee is on the Miele "retired" models list.  http://miele.com/products/models.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=27&cat=1&subcat=1&menu_id=5

The current match to Jubilee would be the Calisto with the SEB228 PN.  Miele is offering that online for $929. Being the Jubilee is discontinued model, it with an SEB236 would be a nice buy for $750 tops.

Venson          

Vacuum was manufactured in Oct 2009.   Its the same model as the Callisto.  Cost was $900 w/ the 236 head.  2 yr warranty on all parts 7 yr warranty on motor.  Discontinued model is the same as any other Miele, unless I was worried about resale value.  I looked for a month and other than Ebay resale/out of box/not a dealer people this was the best deal I  came across.

Venson

Reply #32   Feb 17, 2010 7:27 pm
nhmatt wrote:
Vacuum was manufactured in Oct 2009.   Its the same model as the Callisto.  Cost was $900 w/ the 236 head.  2 yr warranty on all parts 7 yr warranty on motor.  Discontinued model is the same as any other Miele, unless I was worried about resale value.  I looked for a month and other than Ebay resale/out of box/not a dealer people this was the best deal I  came across.

Hi nhmatt,

No point of contention here.  My thinking was that you might be able to wangle a Capricorn for around $900.  That's the same price I landed mine for.  The big difference between the two is the electronic suction adjustment which puts complete control of the machine in your hand. That you have already said you could live without. This is not a big issue as I've owned vacuums I've like as much with less accoutrements.

The real issue is -- if you're happy we should be too.  Enjoy the new Miele and use it long and well.

Venson

PS -- By the way, for private owners, resale value may mean little or nothing as the buyer's assurance may have to be based only on the sellers word. 

nhmatt

Reply #33   Mar 2, 2010 8:08 pm
Update:

It cleans.  The larger SB300 head helps a ton when cleaning the large floors.  The powerhead is almost too strong.  There are a couple of corners it pulled the rug back with it.  No smells.  I like the bag unit, on-board storage, ESPECIALLY the telescoping wand.   Its a little heavy, but smaller so it fits in the closet a little better.

Suction control on the wand is not worth $250.  I'm happy with the model, and very impressed with the vacuum.

Replies: 1 - 33 of 33View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42