Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Please pick my vacuum for me

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
nhmatt

Please pick my vacuum for me
Original Message   Feb 14, 2010 12:36 pm
My wife and I have owned about 10 vacuums in 20 years.  The first 5 were yardsale, then a Dirt Devil, then a Hoover, then an older Electrolux which worked awesome untill it caught on fire, then a Kenmore, then another Kenmore, then I got fed up and installed central vac.  NOW WE'RE TALKIN!

Well, she made me move and central vac would ba a real pita to install and it aint gonna happen. A friend of ours gave us a Kriby G5 (yeah, she hated it so much she gave it away) but its too much of a pain because we're 50/50 hardwood+tile and rug.  We currently own another $200 Kenmore, which I don't understand why they stink so bad now because my mom had the same one for about 20 years.  Now my mom has owned a Miele for about 10 and its still good as new.  I just can get past the $1200.

Is there a huge difference between the $1200 Miele Capricorn and the $700 Miele Pisces?  What about electrolux? Our house is 3 floors and about 4000+sqft.  I want a fast vacuum.

Replies: 14 - 23 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
nhmatt

Re: Please pick my vacuum for me
Reply #14   Feb 15, 2010 9:15 am
CarmineD wrote:
China is the largest buyer of US debt; aka US Treasuries.  Thomas Jefferson, founding father, said:  "...you are a slave to the person who lends you money."  True then and, based on the US stock market reaction last week, true now.

Carmine D.

Thomas Jefferson died with over $100,000 in unpaid debts.  He'd sold his books, his land,sacrificed his dignity to a land auction,  and in the end everything he ever owned (including people) were auctioned off.  He died with nothing.  That's why he felt like a slave, but I doubt that was much comfort to the people who ACTUALLY WERE SLAVES.  In the end he made the choice to keep good wine and parties and left his principles on the parchment.

I've got no problem buying American/German engineering from Chinese workers who are content to be paid with scraps of paper so they can buy oil that is priced with the same scraps of paper.  When you think of it, it doesn't matter where you buy it as long as you buy with American money!

HARDSELL

Reply #15   Feb 15, 2010 9:47 am
nhmatt wrote:
Thomas Jefferson died with over $100,000 in unpaid debts.  He'd sold his books, his land,sacrificed his dignity to a land auction,  and in the end everything he ever owned (including people) were auctioned off.  He died with nothing.  That's why he felt like a slave, but I doubt that was much comfort to the people who ACTUALLY WERE SLAVES.  In the end he made the choice to keep good wine and parties and left his principles on the parchment.

I've got no problem buying American/German engineering from Chinese workers who are content to be paid with scraps of paper so they can buy oil that is priced with the same scraps of paper.  When you think of it, it doesn't matter where you buy it as long as you buy with American money!

How long will American money be available.  With all the unemployment it may be gone sooner than you think. 

Looks like Thomas was speaking from experience.  Also seems he lived like today's bank execs and corporate execs. 

Venson

Reply #16   Feb 15, 2010 11:18 am
Hi guys,

I just did a quick search regarding "career opportunities" by way of some of the vacuum manufacturers we buy from that have offices here in the U.S. 

TTI has posted a total 13 job slots within its U.S. locations, Miele USA has 5 up.  Tacony offers no number of open job slots on its web page but recommends that interested parties send their resumes.  However, Tacony also says -- "Most of our positions are filled by referrals from existing associates, customers and consumers who use and enjoy our products."

Seems like awful slim pickings for companies of their size.  Then, maybe not.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #17   Feb 15, 2010 1:30 pm
nhmatt wrote:

Considering the personal and professional legacy he left behind, the debt amount he left behind when he died at 83 years of age is a mere pittance.  I thought his debts were much more.

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #18   Feb 15, 2010 1:56 pm
Let's bring this thread back to "Please pick my vacuum for me"
nhmatt

Reply #19   Feb 15, 2010 2:17 pm
Buying the Miele.  Either the Capricorn or the Callisto.  I really want both the 217 and the 236 head, but I'll probably go with the 228 and just split the difference. 
vacmanuk

Reply #20   Feb 15, 2010 5:33 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

I think you're actually referring to the Miele Salsa, the bright red Model 7280 with the dial power adjust.  The Tango, Model 7580, is a darker metallic cherry red and has the electronic speed adjustment.

The best benefit of Sebo uprights is that they can be easily dismantled to get at clogs and brush and belt maintenance are also very user friendly in manner.

Venson

Yes Venson I think I was confused - here in the UK the Miele S7's just go by model number and body colour change.

I wouldn't suggest a Sebo upright though - despite the fact that it can be dismantled - the buyer here needs something for tiles and rugs. The Sebo X range has an inherent problem of sensing grout in tiling - fair enough if it is level tiling, but generally the sensor wheel can get confused and change down too early for the brushes to hit the floor. Then IF the upright is put onto carpet the red brush roll light comes on as a problem. Sebo do warn about using their X vacuums on tiling with grout lines (here in the UK) as it can damage the electronics and ultimately the hydrallic arm that holds the sensor wheel in.. Sebo's Felix is a better bet but they are expensive in the U.S unless the buyer can find a second hand Dart commercial upright or a similar one  - the Dart/felix does without the sensor auto adjusting head and could in theory cope with multi flooring styles and substances. However like the Sebo K cylinders, the Felix/Dart uses a smaller dust bag.
CarmineD

Reply #21   Feb 16, 2010 8:01 am
Mike_W wrote:
Let's bring this thread back to "Please pick my vacuum for me"

It never strayed.  We have here a vacuum buyer who went from the Poor Richard approach of Ben Franklin [with yard sale purchases for 10 plus years] to the extravagance of Thomas Jefferson with a slave owner and buyer's approach:  $1000 MIELE made in China.  I suggest now a middle of the road approach of both extremes:  A rebuilt from a indy with a good rep/warranty.  Very appropropriate thread for President's Day, wouldn't you say Mike W! 

How's that toyota vehicle working out for you?

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #22   Feb 16, 2010 2:45 pm
nhmatt;

As Moderator, I want to tell you that I appreciate you bringing this thread back on topic.  No argument, discussion, etc.-Perfect!
nhmatt

Reply #23   Feb 16, 2010 5:41 pm
Ended up with a Miele Jubilee, color silver passion. Free 3' crevice tool, which is long enough for even the most remote cobwebs in our house.   I went for the 236 powerhead, because is has lights, mostly.  Its also easier to push.  After trying the Capricorn, I really wanted the cool buttons but controlled myself.  I went with a local distributor.  Not much difference between the online and the locals.  Miele seems to keep a pretty tight grip on their channel partners, and probably doesn't offer too much in the way of volume discounting.  I also like the haggling!  I saved  $50 and got a free box of bags.

As far as buying an American vs Foreign:  Bigger faster stronger lighter cheaper is the American Way. 

Replies: 14 - 23 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42