Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
lazaruspup

Bissell Prolite
Original Message   Jul 17, 2009 8:06 pm
Hey guys, if I could get some help on this one I would appreciate it. I have an elderly aunt in need of a replacement Bissell Prolite. The motor on hers is shot, brushes, everything just shot. I took it into the local guy and he said 90 bucks for a new motor and housing as the motor got so hot it torched the housing. He also suggested a Powr-Flite which is who hold the patent on that design now. She is adamant she wants another Prolite if one can be found as she has a ton of bags etc for this one. If anyone knows of a local dealer or internet presence that has even a used Prolite to be had, I would greatly appreciate it. I found one guy who has a local shop in Nevada but he wants 300 for his "last one" because its a collector's item now. I told him pass. Hope everyone's summer is going well. Still using the Healthy Home vac and still going strong, had to supplement it with a cheap plastivac for downstairs though, UGH... 40 pounds is a lot to lift up and down the basement stairs.
Replies: 36 - 45 of 45Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Bissell Prolite
Reply #36   Jul 21, 2009 9:04 am
Finally, I've visited ORECK sales and repair shops nationwide.  The stores and staff are the model for the industry.  Always.  No exceptions.  With over 500 stores nationwide, and more opening weekly, never ONE shuttered in over 40 years.  Even McDonald's can't make that claim to fame.  When you plunk your money down on an ORECK, you buy one of the best made vacuums in the industry with a quality reputation.  Which BTW is also made in the good ole USA. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #37   Jul 21, 2009 1:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Finally, I've visited ORECK sales and repair shops nationwide.  The stores and staff are the model for the industry.  Always.  No exceptions.  With over 500 stores nationwide, and more opening weekly, never ONE shuttered in over 40 years.  Even McDonald's can't make that claim to fame.  When you plunk your money down on an ORECK, you buy one of the best made vacuums in the industry with a quality reputation.  Which BTW is also made in the good ole USA. 

Carmine D.

ORECK....set the standards for all to follow.  Those who cant keep up/compete with them..... bash them. 

oustanding quality and durability on all of them.....$199.99 for 15+ yrs of service....an industry  leader.

great service long after the sale.......some service centers far away...some yes.  but one  ''high end'' brand has how many?

or better yet  who/how many vac shops will work on it?...you could send it back / how much does it cost to mail a vac to the uk  btw?

All in all ORECK is great vacuum at a great price with a great warranty that will last far beyond most all others....''now thats bang for the buck''

lazaruspup

Reply #38   Jul 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Well the results are.... we putted around yesterday to a few different vacuum shops and visited the local Oreck shop. The guy just laughed at me when I asked about the $199 Oreck Silver deal with trade-in. He said that was only on special for select holidays but I could sign my aunt up with no interest, etc and get it for $399 with the iron, canister, etc. He would even throw in a year full of bags. I didn't like the sleazy feel of the guy and asked if he had any other Orecks to recommend but he kept coming back to trying to get me to take the Silver on financing. I finally left with Auntie in tow, though she did like the feel of the Oreck. We then went back to JC Penney and reassessed the XL3 which is btw the SAME EXACT model as the Silver, just a different color. She could not reason paying that much money for the vacuum though... her excuse.... God only knows if I have 10 years left! LOL Bless her! So... we ventured over to the local vac shop who I have dealt with a few times. Low and behold sitting int he center of the display was a Hoover C1320, Hoover's version of the direct air lightweight that was sold a few years ago. It is their commercial version. Great looking vacuum and built very solid. He offered it to us for $100 brand new in the box, he got a few of them on a trade with a sewing store that went out of business. No warranty through Hoover but he said he would do any work or repair for free and even signed the receipt for us. Alltogether, not bad, 4.3AMPS, direct suction, HEPA bags and outer bag, only 1 speed, 9lbs, and a 30ft cord. She is happy as a lark. I think she has vacuumed 3x since I dropped her back off at home yesterday.

Btw, I wanted to chime in on the whole paying more gets your longer life on a vac. I call a little BS on that one. I think it totally depends on how you treat the unit. Personally, my dad has a Bissell Clearview, the original bagless that Bissell made back in the late 90's early 2000's that I paid a whopping $45 dollars for at Wal-Mart. It still runs like a charm and he vacuums daily. He does however change the belt every two years and cleans the filters every month. I bought it in 2001 and almost nine years later, 45 dollars has gone a long way. Some people have called suspect on Dyson as well and as much as I hate the dirty bins of the Dyson, I gifted a DC07 back in 2002 when they were first introduced and it still runs like new, but it is meticulously cared for, even with 4 dogs in the house. Its all about the way we treat our appliances, if you abuse them and don't take care of them, sure a plastivac will last you only a year, but you get what you pay for when you don't take care of it.
CarmineD

Reply #39   Jul 21, 2009 3:13 pm
Hello lazaruspup:

Excellent choice.  Alot of nice features and you can't beat the $100.  Best price I've seen and heard.  Glad Auntie is happy.  And you purchased from a local vacuum independent store owner/operator.   Always a wise choice!

BTW, the ORECK dealer is correct: The Silver series sale for $199 with a 3 year warranty was good for July 4th.  The extension thru July 31 is for limited areas and stores, and as I mentioned, advertised on the local channels and newspapers.  I suspect he is having no problems with ORECK sales at the regular MSRP.  And to his defense, the ORECK Silver Series is a steal for $199. 

Carmine D.

Brand: Hoover Commercial

Type: Upright

Classification: Commercial

Motor Size: 4 amp

Cord Length: 40 feet

Cleaning Width: 12 inches

Tools On Board: No

Headlight: No

Weight: 9.4 lbs.

Bare Floor Selector: No

Bag: Hoover Type B Royal Vacuum Bags

Filtration: HEPA Filtration

MFG. Suggested Retail: $319.00

Price: $129.99

Shipping Cost: FREE!

Warranty: 2 year commercial warranty

Allergy Rating (out of 5 stars): 2 stars

Hoover C1320 Image

Comments:
Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Lightweight, only 9.4 lbs.! Powerful, energy efficient 4 amp motor. HEPA filtration, 12 inch cleaning path, Removeable 40 foot 3-wire SJT cord, Automatic carpet height adjustment, No on-board tools, 2 year commercial
warranty.

This particular model also receives the GOLD APPROVAL seal from the CRI.

This message was modified Jul 21, 2009 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #40   Jul 21, 2009 6:58 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
Well the results are.... we putted around yesterday to a few different vacuum shops and visited the local Oreck shop. The guy just laughed at me when I asked about the $199 Oreck Silver deal with trade-in. He said that was only on special for select holidays but I could sign my aunt up with no interest, etc and get it for $399 with the iron, canister, etc. He would even throw in a year full of bags. I didn't like the sleazy feel of the guy and asked if he had any other Orecks to recommend but he kept coming back to trying to get me to take the Silver on financing. I finally left with Auntie in tow, though she did like the feel of the Oreck. We then went back to JC Penney and reassessed the XL3 which is btw the SAME EXACT model as the Silver, just a different color. She could not reason paying that much money for the vacuum though... her excuse.... God only knows if I have 10 years left! LOL Bless her! So... we ventured over to the local vac shop who I have dealt with a few times. Low and behold sitting int he center of the display was a Hoover C1320, Hoover's version of the direct air lightweight that was sold a few years ago. It is their commercial version. Great looking vacuum and built very solid. He offered it to us for $100 brand new in the box, he got a few of them on a trade with a sewing store that went out of business. No warranty through Hoover but he said he would do any work or repair for free and even signed the receipt for us. Alltogether, not bad, 4.3AMPS, direct suction, HEPA bags and outer bag, only 1 speed, 9lbs, and a 30ft cord. She is happy as a lark. I think she has vacuumed 3x since I dropped her back off at home yesterday.

Btw, I wanted to chime in on the whole paying more gets your longer life on a vac. I call a little BS on that one. I think it totally depends on how you treat the unit. Personally, my dad has a Bissell Clearview, the original bagless that Bissell made back in the late 90's early 2000's that I paid a whopping $45 dollars for at Wal-Mart. It still runs like a charm and he vacuums daily. He does however change the belt every two years and cleans the filters every month. I bought it in 2001 and almost nine years later, 45 dollars has gone a long way. Some people have called suspect on Dyson as well and as much as I hate the dirty bins of the Dyson, I gifted a DC07 back in 2002 when they were first introduced and it still runs like new, but it is meticulously cared for, even with 4 dogs in the house. Its all about the way we treat our appliances, if you abuse them and don't take care of them, sure a plastivac will last you only a year, but you get what you pay for when you don't take care of it.

hi lazaruspup

great choice and i applaude you on shopping around....you ended up in the right place and got the right vac.

i agree with your opinion on the care and cost of vacs in general....you dont need to pay hi-end to get hi-end quality.

the dc-7 was dysons best imo and in many others opinion also....just not worth the hi-end price paid....had dyson stayed with the 7 and @$200

hed have a heavyweight contender on his hands...and taken seriously. but now hes a producer of niche products  for a few.

your hoover is really nice looking....ive seen 2 come in for repairs from user abuse....so thats a plus on durability.

i wouldnt mind owning one either..and please feel free 2 chime in.wed love to hear your opinion and if you need excellent advice.

..you cant go wrong here...thank you for your update and keep them coming....or just come by.

CarmineD

Reply #41   Jul 24, 2009 12:32 pm
It appears ORECK [taken from side banner] is discounting its TOL models for the summer with savings of $50 to $200.

http://www.oreck.com/oreck-xl-upright/index.cfm

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #42   Jul 24, 2009 1:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
It appears ORECK [taken from side banner] is discounting its TOL models for the summer with savings of $50 to $200.

http://www.oreck.com/oreck-xl-upright/index.cfm

Carmine D.

hi carmine

So does that lower the price on the silver you wanted.....or will it be $199.....and all orecks are top of line...imo

HARDSELL

Reply #43   Jul 24, 2009 4:56 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

So does that lower the price on the silver you wanted.....or will it be $199.....and all orecks are top of line...imo

If you never tasted steak you think spam is deliscious.
CarmineD

Reply #44   Jul 24, 2009 5:20 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

Unless I encounter a manager like lazaruspup, I'd say there is always wiggle room for negotiating the price downward.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 24, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #45   Jul 24, 2009 5:21 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
If you never tasted steak you think spam is deliscious.

If you are comparing vacuums to food, your fave brand would have to be sugar coated to buy/eat.

Carmine D.

Replies: 36 - 45 of 45Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42