Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
lazaruspup

Bissell Prolite
Original Message   Jul 17, 2009 8:06 pm
Hey guys, if I could get some help on this one I would appreciate it. I have an elderly aunt in need of a replacement Bissell Prolite. The motor on hers is shot, brushes, everything just shot. I took it into the local guy and he said 90 bucks for a new motor and housing as the motor got so hot it torched the housing. He also suggested a Powr-Flite which is who hold the patent on that design now. She is adamant she wants another Prolite if one can be found as she has a ton of bags etc for this one. If anyone knows of a local dealer or internet presence that has even a used Prolite to be had, I would greatly appreciate it. I found one guy who has a local shop in Nevada but he wants 300 for his "last one" because its a collector's item now. I told him pass. Hope everyone's summer is going well. Still using the Healthy Home vac and still going strong, had to supplement it with a cheap plastivac for downstairs though, UGH... 40 pounds is a lot to lift up and down the basement stairs.
Replies: 1 - 45 of 45View as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Bissell Prolite
Reply #1   Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
Hey guys, if I could get some help on this one I would appreciate it. I have an elderly aunt in need of a replacement Bissell Prolite. The motor on hers is shot, brushes, everything just shot. I took it into the local guy and he said 90 bucks for a new motor and housing as the motor got so hot it torched the housing. He also suggested a Powr-Flite which is who hold the patent on that design now. She is adamant she wants another Prolite if one can be found as she has a ton of bags etc for this one. If anyone knows of a local dealer or internet presence that has even a used Prolite to be had, I would greatly appreciate it. I found one guy who has a local shop in Nevada but he wants 300 for his "last one" because its a collector's item now. I told him pass. Hope everyone's summer is going well. Still using the Healthy Home vac and still going strong, had to supplement it with a cheap plastivac for downstairs though, UGH... 40 pounds is a lot to lift up and down the basement stairs.

the prolite will be hard to find new....seen a couple but your gonna pay about what you were told $300 ez. ..go for the power flite..abt $200 w/warranty.

its the same machine...diff name thats all...the bags she has now for the bissell will work too....or buy it and swap motors...shell not no the diff. either that or buy a used one as is or fork over $300.....i say let her try the new pwr flt for a week......show her how all her stuff can still be used....if that dont work....let her demo an oreck.....lite and durable beyond that bissell....or most anything else....she can demo it at home and if she dont like you take back for a full refund...no problems or hassles. but shell love it  and never miss the bissell. on sale now .....w great warranty.

Venson

Reply #2   Jul 18, 2009 8:38 am
Hi lazaruspup,

Check out the following link. Price is very nice. I have not however done business with these people so you may want to ring them on their toll-free line should you decide to order.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/Tornado/TCN67218.html

Best,

Venson
This message was modified Jul 18, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #3   Jul 18, 2009 1:17 pm
lazaruspup:

I have to put my vote in for the ORECK for your Aunt.  30 days in home trial with no obligation.  She'll love and thank you for it!

Carmine D.

SUMMER SPECTACULAR: FREE Shipping on all orders. Shop Now »

oreck.com Call 1-800-298-5888 to order anytime 24/7.
Oreck Summer Spectacular!SUMMER SPECTACULAR: FREE Shipping on all orders
Get Everything You Need to Clean Your HouseGet Everything You Need to Clean Your House This Summer
Try an Oreck XL® Power Team Vacuum Cleaner and Get Two FREE Gifts, a $143 Value!
• FREE Oreck Cordless Speed Iron
Cordless Speed Iron Cuts ironing time in half! Includes a 10-minute automatic safety shut off.

• FREE Crystal Aroma Carpet & Room Freshener
Crystal AromaRefreshes carpets and rooms while you vacuum; eliminates musty smells.

Shop Now
Hurry! Limited Time Offer!
The Oreck XL Power Team Upright Vacuum Cleaners
Oreck Halo Vacuum CleanerTry the New Oreck Halo and Get 3 FREE Gifts!
Cordless ElectrikbroomFREE Oreck Cordless Electrikbroom
Halo Vacuum BagsFREE 1-year supply of Oreck Halo Vacuum BagsCrystal AromaFREE Crystal Aroma Carpet and Room Freshener

Try an Oreck XL® Air Purifier and Get 2 FREE giftsOreck XL Air Purifier
Crystal AromaFREE Crystal Aroma Carpet and Room Freshener
Shop NowShop Now
Get FREE Crystal Aroma Carpet and Room Freshener with orders over $349!
Order Online or call 1-800-289-5888 to place an order 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Share this great offer! Forward to a friend today.

This message was modified Jul 18, 2009 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #4   Jul 18, 2009 8:52 pm
CarmineD wrote:
lazaruspup:

I have to put my vote in for the ORECK for your Aunt.  30 days in home trial with no obligation.  She'll love and thank you for it!

Carmine D.

SUMMER SPECTACULAR: FREE Shipping on all orders. Shop Now »

oreck.com Call 1-800-298-5888 to order anytime 24/7.
Oreck Summer Spectacular!SUMMER SPECTACULAR: FREE Shipping on all orders
Get Everything You Need to Clean Your HouseGet Everything You Need to Clean Your House This Summer
Try an Oreck XL® Power Team Vacuum Cleaner and Get Two FREE Gifts, a $143 Value!
• FREE Oreck Cordless Speed Iron
Cordless Speed Iron Cuts ironing time in half! Includes a 10-minute automatic safety shut off.

• FREE Crystal Aroma Carpet & Room Freshener
Crystal AromaRefreshes carpets and rooms while you vacuum; eliminates musty smells.

Shop Now
Hurry! Limited Time Offer!
The Oreck XL Power Team Upright Vacuum Cleaners
Oreck Halo Vacuum CleanerTry the New Oreck Halo and Get 3 FREE Gifts!
Halo Vacuum BagsFREE 1-year supply of Oreck Halo Vacuum BagsCrystal AromaFREE Crystal Aroma Carpet and Room Freshener

Try an Oreck XL® Air Purifier and Get 2 FREE giftsOreck XL Air Purifier
Crystal AromaFREE Crystal Aroma Carpet and Room Freshener
Shop NowShop Now
Get FREE Crystal Aroma Carpet and Room Freshener with orders over $349!
Order Online or call 1-800-289-5888 to place an order 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Share this great offer! Forward to a friend today.

hi carmine
i must say that is a stunning display of top end ....sharp looking vacs.  so many choices . i do love these new designs .w/ the larger outer bags.

and to think that some women would scoff at the idea of an oreck as a bday gift.....i see it as the gift that keeps on giving...day in day out....15yrs worth

at least.   i gave up on someone trading in their oreck towards another vac..almost 3 yrs and none to date.

CarmineD

Reply #5   Jul 18, 2009 9:08 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:

hi carmine
i must say that is a stunning display of top end ....sharp looking vacs.  so many choices . i do love these new designs .w/ the larger outer bags.

and to think that some women would scoff at the idea of an oreck as a bday gift.....i see it as the gift that keeps on giving...day in day out....15yrs worth

at least.   i gave up on someone trading in their oreck towards another vac..almost 3 yrs and none to date.

Hello 'turtle1'

I agree.  Still waiting on the Steam It to come into my local ORECK store [can you believe it?].  I'm impressed by what I hear and read about it and apparently others are to.  Normally, I wouldn't wait for the local arrival and buy now on-line direct from ORECK.  Except, I plan to make a deal with the local ORECK store on the Steam It and a new ORECK upright.  My 2 years old [plus] ORECK XL Classic is still as good as new.  But, like you and others, I like the look of the new ORECK and will trade up, IF the deal is right! 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 18, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #6   Jul 18, 2009 9:57 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
. . . and to think that some women would scoff at the idea of an oreck as a bday gift.....i see it as the gift that keeps on giving...day in day out....15yrs worth</p><p>at least. 

Hi turtle1,

You go ahead and run that by Mrs. Turtle1. I happen to have a spare room for rent.

Anyway, it appears that Oreck has dropped the attachment set or am I wrong?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #7   Jul 19, 2009 7:03 am
If I'm not mistaken, ORECK is offering the Silver Series upright [solo] thru July 31 for $199 with a trade-in.  Judy ORECK is the spokesperson for the sale.  If I can get the same price on the Silver by buying the Steam It and keep my XL Classic I'll make the deal with my local ORECK store.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #8   Jul 19, 2009 8:46 am
Hi Carmine,

I'm sorry. I meant the Oreck Halo is not shown with attachments.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #9   Jul 19, 2009 9:09 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I'm sorry. I meant the Oreck Halo is not shown with attachments.

Venson

Hi Venson:

You're right.  No OBT.

Carmine D.

lazaruspup

Reply #10   Jul 19, 2009 1:35 pm
Thanks for all the replies! We went to JCPenney yesterday as I couldn't find a local Oreck store that was open and we demo'd the Oreck XL3 and the Oreck Xl5 in the store for a bit. Both machines seem to be the same except for color and warranty. They are JCP exclusives according to the salesman. Auntie was a little disappointed that it didn't have HEPA filtration for the price. We are going to visit the local Oreck store this week and check out their offerings. The Pirahna is priced very reasonably and may be our other option if we don't go through with the Oreck. My biggest concern is the weight and ease of use because if it doesn't seem easy to use, she just won't clean... we love our old people don't we. LOL! I did find one Prolite on Craigslits, new in the box. If I want it for 150 I have to go pick it up from the dealer in Chicago. I have been ready for a daytrip to the Windy City for a while anyway. ;)
CarmineD

Reply #11   Jul 19, 2009 3:06 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! We went to JCPenney yesterday as I couldn't find a local Oreck store that was open and we demo'd the Oreck XL3 and the Oreck Xl5 in the store for a bit. Both machines seem to be the same except for color and warranty. They are JCP exclusives according to the salesman. Auntie was a little disappointed that it didn't have HEPA filtration for the price. We are going to visit the local Oreck store this week and check out their offerings. The Pirahna is priced very reasonably and may be our other option if we don't go through with the Oreck. My biggest concern is the weight and ease of use because if it doesn't seem easy to use, she just won't clean... we love our old people don't we. LOL! I did find one Prolite on Craigslits, new in the box. If I want it for 150 I have to go pick it up from the dealer in Chicago. I have been ready for a daytrip to the Windy City for a while anyway. ;)

Hello Lazaruspup:

We really do love our elders!  It's good for them not to mellow. 

Sounds like the ORECK's are JC Penny exclusives.  The models are atypical for ORECK.  Auntie can easily uprgrade to HEPA rating, I believe, by using the better ORECK bags.  But, I don't think its necessary and/or worthy of the additional expense.  Almost 2X the price.  Careful on the Craigslist of NIB rating for the ProlIte.  It's easy to say even tho it's not the case.  You wouldn't want to make the drive and open just to find a slightly used PL being passed off as NIB.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #12   Jul 19, 2009 3:39 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi turtle1,

You go ahead and run that by Mrs. Turtle1. I happen to have a spare room for rent.

Anyway, it appears that Oreck has dropped the attachment set or am I wrong?

Venson

hi venson

no i am not a brave man...ive learned ALOT about what  NOT TO DO AND SAY to my wife of almost 2yrs.

and i hope i never need that room....but thank you.

retardturtle1

Reply #13   Jul 19, 2009 4:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, ORECK is offering the Silver Series upright [solo] thru July 31 for $199 with a trade-in.  Judy ORECK is the spokesperson for the sale.  If I can get the same price on the Silver by buying the Steam It and keep my XL Classic I'll make the deal with my local ORECK store.

Carmine D.

hi carmine

now  thats a pro.....you can wheel and deal with the best. ..and i envy you on your soon to be purchased  silver.

ive heard many say it is an outstanding vac..[ and u must update ]..that they keep getting better. and  to have the xl as a back-up or

better yet as a gift...now thats got  WOW factor all over it....not to mention that youll definately be remembered when

santa comes.

retardturtle1

Reply #14   Jul 19, 2009 4:41 pm
lazaruspup wrote:

I agree with Carmine....buyer beware! never know what your gonna get.

i think once she has demoed the orecks availiable in the oreck showroom shell see just how great they are..and super light.

The prolite is a really good vac..but heavier than 10lbs by far. alot louder also.  no warranty as is ...means you foot the bills.

with the oreck you get a peace of mind warranty with at least 15yrs life worth of service....and a stellar reputation to back it up.

customer service is the best out there....hands down.  its a durable solid performer that will last.

But this just my view of the oreck...i own one and wish i had another....but whatever you buy , make sure you have a warranty. 

and be sur to keep us posted on what you got and how well it works.

happy shopping.

CarmineD

Reply #15   Jul 20, 2009 6:45 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

now  thats a pro.....you can wheel and deal with the best. ..and i envy you on your soon to be purchased  silver.

ive heard many say it is an outstanding vac..[ and u must update ]..that they keep getting better. and  to have the xl as a back-up or

better yet as a gift...now thats got  WOW factor all over it....not to mention that youll definately be remembered when

santa comes.

Hello 'turtle1'

If the ORECK store manager agrees with the purchase terms we have a deal.  If not, I'll pass and make the best price/deal I can on the Steam It.  If I were a hard nose, I'd nix the Steam It purchase too if I couldn't get the ORECK Silver for $199.  And depending on how it goes, that's still an option for me.  Tough times call for tough actions.

The present ORECK Classic XL that I'm using will be gifted to the local Church Office.  The Church offices/cubicles are carpeted and there are about 9-12 women, not counting the Pastor, who are paid/volunteers who run the business affairs of the Church.  The current ORECK is ideal for them and their use.  It can be kept in the office for ready use, unlike the full size vacuums which are stored and pulled out for daily/weekly vacuuming by the maintenance and clean up staff.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #16   Jul 20, 2009 1:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello 'turtle1'

If the ORECK store manager agrees with the purchase terms we have a deal.  If not, I'll pass and make the best price/deal I can on the Steam It.  If I were a hard nose, I'd nix the Steam It purchase too if I couldn't get the ORECK Silver for $199.  And depending on how it goes, that's still an option for me.  Tough times call for tough actions.

The present ORECK Classic XL that I'm using will be gifted to the local Church Office.  The Church offices/cubicles are carpeted and there are about 9-12 women, not counting the Pastor, who are paid/volunteers who run the business affairs of the Church.  The current ORECK is ideal for them and their use.  It can be kept in the office for ready use, unlike the full size vacuums which are stored and pulled out for daily/weekly vacuuming by the maintenance and clean up staff.

Carmine D.

hi carmine

i say play a little hard ball.....its a buyers market right now. the illusion  that your willing to go elsewhere...is just as good as the real thing.

a sale with a little less profit is far better than no profit at all......and plenty other dealers who will take it.

great idea...the church. not only will you be a favorite with the ladies of the office....but with the big guy in the sky...

yeah id say you got some good crdit with the big guy carmine.

HARDSELL

Reply #17   Jul 20, 2009 2:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Hello 'turtle1'

I agree.  Still waiting on the Steam It to come into my local ORECK store [can you believe it?].  I'm impressed by what I hear and read about it and apparently others are to.  Normally, I wouldn't wait for the local arrival and buy now on-line direct from ORECK.  Except, I plan to make a deal with the local ORECK store on the Steam It and a new ORECK upright.  My 2 years old [plus] ORECK XL Classic is still as good as new.  But, like you and others, I like the look of the new ORECK and will trade up, IF the deal is right! 

Carmine D.

Carmine,  which new Oreck do you plan to buy?  Do you think that each steo up in the Oreck line is worth the $100 upcharge? I am talking about improved cleaning performance.  Not the gimmich give aways.

CarmineD

Reply #18   Jul 20, 2009 4:12 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

i say play a little hard ball.....its a buyers market right now. the illusion  that your willing to go elsewhere...is just as good as the real thing.

a sale with a little less profit is far better than no profit at all......and plenty other dealers who will take it.

great idea...the church. not only will you be a favorite with the ladies of the office....but with the big guy in the sky...

yeah id say you got some good crdit with the big guy carmine.

Hello 'turtle1'

Haggling comes natural with me.  I enjoy it!  Never have enough credit with the Big Man upstairs.  Can always use more!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #19   Jul 20, 2009 4:27 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Carmine,  which new Oreck do you plan to buy?  Do you think that each steo up in the Oreck line is worth the $100 upcharge? I am talking about improved cleaning performance.  Not the gimmich give aways.

Two, HS.  The Steam It and ORECK Silver Series upright if the price is right.  The MSRP on the SI is $169.  And a sale on the Silver Series for $199 solo thru July 31 with a trade.  I want the $199 price and no trade because I'm buying the Steam It too.

No more a gimmick than your fave brand including a free DC16 [MSRP $149-$199] with the purchase of a $500 upright.  Same same.  Save Dave ORECK did it first and your company copied him. 

Is the ORECK worth the extra money as you go up the product line.  Ask the customers who buy the higher priced ORECK's.  ORECK gives its customers their money's worth.  In the final analysis, that's what matters.

Carmine D.

BTW HS FWIW:  My property taxes went down $800 for the year.  I never appealed in person/writing.  Save the outcry of the citizenry in my County who staged taxpayer sit-ins and demonstrations at the regularly scheduled County Council meetings.  As I said last year they would, not just in my County, but around the country. 

This message was modified Jul 20, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #20   Jul 20, 2009 5:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Two, HS.  The Steam It and ORECK Silver Series upright if the price is right.  The MSRP on the SI is $169.  And a sale on the Silver Series for $199 solo thru July 31 with a trade.  I want the $199 price and no trade because I'm buying the Steam It too.

No more a gimmick than your fave brand including a free DC16 [MSRP $149-$199] with the purchase of a $500 upright.  Same same.  Save Dave ORECK did it first and your company copied him. 

Is the ORECK worth the extra money as you go up the product line.  Ask the customers who buy the higher priced ORECK's.  ORECK gives its customers their money's worth.  In the final analysis, that's what matters.

Carmine D.

BTW HS FWIW:  My property taxes went down $800 for the year.  I never appealed in person/writing.  Save the outcry of the citizenry in my County who staged taxpayer sit-ins and demonstrations at the regularly scheduled County Council meetings.  As I said last year they would, not just in my County, but around the country. 

Can't find your prices on the Oreck site.  Prices are $299, 399, 499 and 599.  In the past at least 3 stores refused to sell any of the vacs without the hand held and freebie.  Mayve economy has changed that.

Can't disagree about Dyson and freebie vac.  They have been on the Hoover trail for a while and now they are following Oreck marketing.  Biggest difference is that Dyson has superior performance. 

I thought that I was asking an Oreck user when I asked th question.  If you do not know how the higher priced Orecks perform simply admit it.   Maybe someone with knowledge can answer my question.

Glad your taxes went down.  We have had lots of outcrys and protests including local news media.  Our current mayor is about as useless as our former mayor who is now governor.  Certainly hope this is not a precedent for our mayors. Our mayor and officials always want money for a new project.  Never maintain what exists.  Just build something new.  I am sure you have read about the famous hole in the ground at the govs mansion. 

CarmineD

Reply #21   Jul 20, 2009 6:42 pm
HS:

I am an ORECK XL Classic buyer and user and plan to buy more of that brand.  You taut a certain brand's superior performance but don't own/use it.  Your actions tell us more about your true feelings/opinions of that "d" brand than your words.  No need to ask you any questions about your fave brand, you don't own one/use one! 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #22   Jul 20, 2009 7:17 pm
Don't buy an Oreck XL!! AWFUL and too expensive!
HARDSELL

Reply #23   Jul 20, 2009 8:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

I am an ORECK XL Classic buyer and user and plan to buy more of that brand.  You taut a certain brand's superior performance but don't own/use it.  Your actions tell us more about your true feelings/opinions of that "d" brand than your words.  No need to ask you any questions about your fave brand, you don't own one/use one! 

Carmine D.

I recall the years that you tauted Hoover.  There was no other.  You predicted that several new Hoover models would sink Dyson.

Hoover had to sell, Dyson is still alive and you now ues and taut Oreck.  My who is calling the kettle black.  Your actions speak volumes.

HARDSELL

Reply #24   Jul 20, 2009 8:05 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Yeah, I tried an XL21 prior to the DC07.  Oreck is a great vacuum for the old and weak to push around.  Since their senses are about the same (weak)  they do not realize that pushing is all they are doing.  Oreck is great for presenting a groomed look on carpet surface.  Just do not stir up the dust and dirt that they leave in the carpet.
CarmineD

Reply #25   Jul 20, 2009 8:24 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I recall the years that you tauted Hoover.  There was no other.  You predicted that several new Hoover models would sink Dyson.

Hoover had to sell, Dyson is still alive and you now ues and taut Oreck.  My who is calling the kettle black.  Your actions speak volumes.

If anyone is weak of mind and memory it's you.  As I said many times before, and will repeat again for you, the HOOVER WT is and will always be the gold standard for rug cleaning and grooming.  Bar none, even your dyson DC07.  ORECK is a distant second to HOOVER.  Considering its half the weight, it's a worthy rug and floor contender. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #26   Jul 20, 2009 8:27 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Disagree.  I bought mine and 4 others new for $150 plus shipping and handling.  Now over 2 years old and still going strong.  Same as the others that I gifted away.  They are revered by their users.   ORECK had a stellar year in 2008 and so far this year.  While most vacuum brand sales suffered and fell drastically. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #27   Jul 20, 2009 9:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
If anyone is weak of mind and memory it's you.  As I said many times before, and will repeat again for you, the HOOVER WT is and will always be the gold standard for rug cleaning and grooming.  Bar none, even your dyson DC07.  ORECK is a distant second to HOOVER.  Considering its half the weight, it's a worthy rug and floor contender. 

Carmine D.

I am sure that many others like me wonder why you do not use the gold standard.  Is it because the gold soon turns to gold dust.  Gold dust is brolen gold you know and hoover WT's are very problematic.  I have a memory.  I just do not take advice unless it comes from a worthy source.
HARDSELL

Reply #28   Jul 20, 2009 9:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Disagree.  I bought mine and 4 others new for $150 plus shipping and handling.  Now over 2 years old and still going strong.  Same as the others that I gifted away.  They are revered by their users.   ORECK had a stellar year in 2008 and so far this year.  While most vacuum brand sales suffered and fell drastically. 

Carmine D.

Why did you have to have an Oreck shipped.  You taut all those sales Oreck centers.  Like I have said they are not convenient to anyone outside a major metro area.  No doubt they are going strong s new since they don't perform when new.  Oreck is having a stellar year-----------with drastic price cuts and freebies that are worth more than the vacs.  I bet those vendors supplying the gifts have also had a stellar year.
vacmanuk

Reply #29   Jul 20, 2009 10:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Disagree.  I bought mine and 4 others new for $150 plus shipping and handling.  Now over 2 years old and still going strong.  Same as the others that I gifted away.  They are revered by their users.   ORECK had a stellar year in 2008 and so far this year.  While most vacuum brand sales suffered and fell drastically.  </p><p>Carmine D.

In the UK they sell for £400 and you get the Deluxe canister vac with it (and I find it ironic that you have to buy a separate piece for it just to have wheels on it!). For years my parents suffered their Oreck XL and broke it the first year when they thought they could copy the TV ad and vacuum up the hard birch like mat at the front door. Oreck replaced the motor since it burnt out and was under guarantee so their customer services were fantastic. However I just couldn't put up with it; as soon as my parents gave it to me, I just couldn't wait to get rid of it and replaced it with a UK Hoover Junior before going down the Sebo route.

Infact Carmine, you can read my review about the Oreck XL on Epinions; i'm sure you'll probably disagree with it, but at the same time in the UK although there aren't that many soft bagged uprights left, most buyers have forgone that for the plastic boxed idea since they last longer than broken zips and in the Oreck's case pretty piss poor filtration qualities..

http://www.epinions.com/review/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Vacuum_Cleaners-Oreck_XL2200_Vacuum/content_347381730948
CarmineD

Reply #30   Jul 21, 2009 5:57 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I am sure that many others like me wonder why you do not use the gold standard.  Is it because the gold soon turns to gold dust.  Gold dust is brolen gold you know and hoover WT's are very problematic.  I have a memory.  I just do not take advice unless it comes from a worthy source.

HS:

I traded down to the HOOVER TEMPO, which I use in addition to the ORECK XL Classic.  At 16 pounds and a very close second to the HOOVER WT for rug cleaning and grooming, I prefer it for the price with OBT over the heavier HOOVER WT.  The HOOVER WT was donated to the local Church.  Still going strong at 3 years old plus and daily use by several users.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Jul 21, 2009 6:03 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Why did you have to have an Oreck shipped.  You taut all those sales Oreck centers.  Like I have said they are not convenient to anyone outside a major metro area.  No doubt they are going strong s new since they don't perform when new.  Oreck is having a stellar year-----------with drastic price cuts and freebies that are worth more than the vacs.  I bet those vendors supplying the gifts have also had a stellar year.

There's that poor memory again.  Recall the US Humane Society in concert with ORECK in April 2007 offered customers a special on a solo ORECK Classic at $150 plus shipping.  My dear Wife always liked and wanted an ORECK, so I bought one.  We were both so impressed that I bought 4 more and gifted them away and they are equally pleased.

Since then, ORECK has offered the upright solo for $199 on sale.  Recently ORECK offered the Silver Series for Memorial Day for $199, then extended the sale thru June 30, then offered again for July 4th and thru July 31.  Sometimes the sales are on the internet like for Memorial and July 4th.  Usually the sale extensions are offered thru local ORECK stores on TV and newspaper ads.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #32   Jul 21, 2009 6:14 am
vacmanuk wrote:
In the UK they sell for £400 and you get the Deluxe canister vac with it (and I find it ironic that you have to buy a separate piece for it just to have wheels on it!). For years my parents suffered their Oreck XL and broke it the first year when they thought they could copy the TV ad and vacuum up the hard birch like mat at the front door. Oreck replaced the motor since it burnt out and was under guarantee so their customer services were fantastic. However I just couldn't put up with it; as soon as my parents gave it to me, I just couldn't wait to get rid of it and replaced it with a UK Hoover Junior before going down the Sebo route.

Infact Carmine, you can read my review about the Oreck XL on Epinions; i'm sure you'll probably disagree with it, but at the same time in the UK although there aren't that many soft bagged uprights left, most buyers have forgone that for the plastic boxed idea since they last longer than broken zips and in the Oreck's case pretty piss poor filtration qualities..

http://www.epinions.com/review/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Vacuum_Cleaners-Oreck_XL2200_Vacuum/content_347381730948

ORECK in the USA offers the same giveaways with its uprights.  But with the downturn in the economy, have gone to specials on the upright only.  Both marketing stratgies have been successful for ORECK.

I'll read your review, thanks.  What is the date of it?

ORECK has its faithful followers and satisfied users, of which I am one.  I have often recommended to interested buyers that they shop estate sales where used ORECKS can be bought for $25-$50 rather than buy new and have to get the giveaways.  I was very pleased to see ORECK offer its upright solo starting last year.  It was good timing in a bad market and economy. 

I believe many soft bag uprigts had poor filtration.  However, recent improvements in paper bag technology have corrected the problem.  ORECK is a beneficiary of the industry's advances in filter paper.  My dear Wife has sinus and allergy problems year round.  With an English lab that sheds year round in the heat of the desert climate, she can have severe problems and falre ups.  Not with the ORECK.  We find the basic ORECK paper bag works fine and I have recommended not paying extra for the costlier ORECK paper bags when the basic bag will do just fine.

Carmine D.

Revised:  If you read the post by Tread 184, it makes the same point about the ORECK improvements in paper bags. 

This message was modified Jul 21, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #33   Jul 21, 2009 8:02 am
Hello vacmanuk:

No need on the date.  I see it.  About a month after I purchased my XL Classic. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #34   Jul 21, 2009 8:53 am
I personally and professionally do not know nor am I aware of any bag zippers that have ever gone awry on any ORECK upright vacuums.  I'm not saying that they haven't, I'm saying in over 50 years of the biz I have never seen or heard of any.

The drawback with the plastic enclosed bags is the cardboard bag collar.  These leak and spew dirt when the vacuum is used, bumped, banged, lifted etc.  That dirt gets into the bag compartment, then on the pre motor filter, eventually into the motor compartment and post motor filter and then exhaust air.  I like the staging bag dock on the ORECK's.  Works well to minimize/eliminate bag any fallout of dirt and dust from bag cardboard collar movement.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #35   Jul 21, 2009 8:59 am
BTW, I use my ORECK XL upright weekly to vacuum my garage rugs, patio rug, and front door mat.  I also vacuum the cement walkway to my house and garage apron and floor.  I don't recommend it.  I've picked up pebbles, screws, nails, dead bugs the size of lizards, flowers, leafs, sand you name it.  Also picked up a quarter on one occasion.  ORECK just spit it out.  Used my ORECK like this for over 2 years.  Not a single hic cup out or clog in my ORECK.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #36   Jul 21, 2009 9:04 am
Finally, I've visited ORECK sales and repair shops nationwide.  The stores and staff are the model for the industry.  Always.  No exceptions.  With over 500 stores nationwide, and more opening weekly, never ONE shuttered in over 40 years.  Even McDonald's can't make that claim to fame.  When you plunk your money down on an ORECK, you buy one of the best made vacuums in the industry with a quality reputation.  Which BTW is also made in the good ole USA. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #37   Jul 21, 2009 1:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Finally, I've visited ORECK sales and repair shops nationwide.  The stores and staff are the model for the industry.  Always.  No exceptions.  With over 500 stores nationwide, and more opening weekly, never ONE shuttered in over 40 years.  Even McDonald's can't make that claim to fame.  When you plunk your money down on an ORECK, you buy one of the best made vacuums in the industry with a quality reputation.  Which BTW is also made in the good ole USA. 

Carmine D.

ORECK....set the standards for all to follow.  Those who cant keep up/compete with them..... bash them. 

oustanding quality and durability on all of them.....$199.99 for 15+ yrs of service....an industry  leader.

great service long after the sale.......some service centers far away...some yes.  but one  ''high end'' brand has how many?

or better yet  who/how many vac shops will work on it?...you could send it back / how much does it cost to mail a vac to the uk  btw?

All in all ORECK is great vacuum at a great price with a great warranty that will last far beyond most all others....''now thats bang for the buck''

lazaruspup

Reply #38   Jul 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Well the results are.... we putted around yesterday to a few different vacuum shops and visited the local Oreck shop. The guy just laughed at me when I asked about the $199 Oreck Silver deal with trade-in. He said that was only on special for select holidays but I could sign my aunt up with no interest, etc and get it for $399 with the iron, canister, etc. He would even throw in a year full of bags. I didn't like the sleazy feel of the guy and asked if he had any other Orecks to recommend but he kept coming back to trying to get me to take the Silver on financing. I finally left with Auntie in tow, though she did like the feel of the Oreck. We then went back to JC Penney and reassessed the XL3 which is btw the SAME EXACT model as the Silver, just a different color. She could not reason paying that much money for the vacuum though... her excuse.... God only knows if I have 10 years left! LOL Bless her! So... we ventured over to the local vac shop who I have dealt with a few times. Low and behold sitting int he center of the display was a Hoover C1320, Hoover's version of the direct air lightweight that was sold a few years ago. It is their commercial version. Great looking vacuum and built very solid. He offered it to us for $100 brand new in the box, he got a few of them on a trade with a sewing store that went out of business. No warranty through Hoover but he said he would do any work or repair for free and even signed the receipt for us. Alltogether, not bad, 4.3AMPS, direct suction, HEPA bags and outer bag, only 1 speed, 9lbs, and a 30ft cord. She is happy as a lark. I think she has vacuumed 3x since I dropped her back off at home yesterday.

Btw, I wanted to chime in on the whole paying more gets your longer life on a vac. I call a little BS on that one. I think it totally depends on how you treat the unit. Personally, my dad has a Bissell Clearview, the original bagless that Bissell made back in the late 90's early 2000's that I paid a whopping $45 dollars for at Wal-Mart. It still runs like a charm and he vacuums daily. He does however change the belt every two years and cleans the filters every month. I bought it in 2001 and almost nine years later, 45 dollars has gone a long way. Some people have called suspect on Dyson as well and as much as I hate the dirty bins of the Dyson, I gifted a DC07 back in 2002 when they were first introduced and it still runs like new, but it is meticulously cared for, even with 4 dogs in the house. Its all about the way we treat our appliances, if you abuse them and don't take care of them, sure a plastivac will last you only a year, but you get what you pay for when you don't take care of it.
CarmineD

Reply #39   Jul 21, 2009 3:13 pm
Hello lazaruspup:

Excellent choice.  Alot of nice features and you can't beat the $100.  Best price I've seen and heard.  Glad Auntie is happy.  And you purchased from a local vacuum independent store owner/operator.   Always a wise choice!

BTW, the ORECK dealer is correct: The Silver series sale for $199 with a 3 year warranty was good for July 4th.  The extension thru July 31 is for limited areas and stores, and as I mentioned, advertised on the local channels and newspapers.  I suspect he is having no problems with ORECK sales at the regular MSRP.  And to his defense, the ORECK Silver Series is a steal for $199. 

Carmine D.

Brand: Hoover Commercial

Type: Upright

Classification: Commercial

Motor Size: 4 amp

Cord Length: 40 feet

Cleaning Width: 12 inches

Tools On Board: No

Headlight: No

Weight: 9.4 lbs.

Bare Floor Selector: No

Bag: Hoover Type B Royal Vacuum Bags

Filtration: HEPA Filtration

MFG. Suggested Retail: $319.00

Price: $129.99

Shipping Cost: FREE!

Warranty: 2 year commercial warranty

Allergy Rating (out of 5 stars): 2 stars

Hoover C1320 Image

Comments:
Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Lightweight, only 9.4 lbs.! Powerful, energy efficient 4 amp motor. HEPA filtration, 12 inch cleaning path, Removeable 40 foot 3-wire SJT cord, Automatic carpet height adjustment, No on-board tools, 2 year commercial
warranty.

This particular model also receives the GOLD APPROVAL seal from the CRI.

This message was modified Jul 21, 2009 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #40   Jul 21, 2009 6:58 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
Well the results are.... we putted around yesterday to a few different vacuum shops and visited the local Oreck shop. The guy just laughed at me when I asked about the $199 Oreck Silver deal with trade-in. He said that was only on special for select holidays but I could sign my aunt up with no interest, etc and get it for $399 with the iron, canister, etc. He would even throw in a year full of bags. I didn't like the sleazy feel of the guy and asked if he had any other Orecks to recommend but he kept coming back to trying to get me to take the Silver on financing. I finally left with Auntie in tow, though she did like the feel of the Oreck. We then went back to JC Penney and reassessed the XL3 which is btw the SAME EXACT model as the Silver, just a different color. She could not reason paying that much money for the vacuum though... her excuse.... God only knows if I have 10 years left! LOL Bless her! So... we ventured over to the local vac shop who I have dealt with a few times. Low and behold sitting int he center of the display was a Hoover C1320, Hoover's version of the direct air lightweight that was sold a few years ago. It is their commercial version. Great looking vacuum and built very solid. He offered it to us for $100 brand new in the box, he got a few of them on a trade with a sewing store that went out of business. No warranty through Hoover but he said he would do any work or repair for free and even signed the receipt for us. Alltogether, not bad, 4.3AMPS, direct suction, HEPA bags and outer bag, only 1 speed, 9lbs, and a 30ft cord. She is happy as a lark. I think she has vacuumed 3x since I dropped her back off at home yesterday.

Btw, I wanted to chime in on the whole paying more gets your longer life on a vac. I call a little BS on that one. I think it totally depends on how you treat the unit. Personally, my dad has a Bissell Clearview, the original bagless that Bissell made back in the late 90's early 2000's that I paid a whopping $45 dollars for at Wal-Mart. It still runs like a charm and he vacuums daily. He does however change the belt every two years and cleans the filters every month. I bought it in 2001 and almost nine years later, 45 dollars has gone a long way. Some people have called suspect on Dyson as well and as much as I hate the dirty bins of the Dyson, I gifted a DC07 back in 2002 when they were first introduced and it still runs like new, but it is meticulously cared for, even with 4 dogs in the house. Its all about the way we treat our appliances, if you abuse them and don't take care of them, sure a plastivac will last you only a year, but you get what you pay for when you don't take care of it.

hi lazaruspup

great choice and i applaude you on shopping around....you ended up in the right place and got the right vac.

i agree with your opinion on the care and cost of vacs in general....you dont need to pay hi-end to get hi-end quality.

the dc-7 was dysons best imo and in many others opinion also....just not worth the hi-end price paid....had dyson stayed with the 7 and @$200

hed have a heavyweight contender on his hands...and taken seriously. but now hes a producer of niche products  for a few.

your hoover is really nice looking....ive seen 2 come in for repairs from user abuse....so thats a plus on durability.

i wouldnt mind owning one either..and please feel free 2 chime in.wed love to hear your opinion and if you need excellent advice.

..you cant go wrong here...thank you for your update and keep them coming....or just come by.

CarmineD

Reply #41   Jul 24, 2009 12:32 pm
It appears ORECK [taken from side banner] is discounting its TOL models for the summer with savings of $50 to $200.

http://www.oreck.com/oreck-xl-upright/index.cfm

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #42   Jul 24, 2009 1:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
It appears ORECK [taken from side banner] is discounting its TOL models for the summer with savings of $50 to $200.

http://www.oreck.com/oreck-xl-upright/index.cfm

Carmine D.

hi carmine

So does that lower the price on the silver you wanted.....or will it be $199.....and all orecks are top of line...imo

HARDSELL

Reply #43   Jul 24, 2009 4:56 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

So does that lower the price on the silver you wanted.....or will it be $199.....and all orecks are top of line...imo

If you never tasted steak you think spam is deliscious.
CarmineD

Reply #44   Jul 24, 2009 5:20 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

Unless I encounter a manager like lazaruspup, I'd say there is always wiggle room for negotiating the price downward.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 24, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #45   Jul 24, 2009 5:21 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
If you never tasted steak you think spam is deliscious.

If you are comparing vacuums to food, your fave brand would have to be sugar coated to buy/eat.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 45 of 45View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42