Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
lazaruspup

Bissell Prolite
Original Message   Jul 17, 2009 8:06 pm
Hey guys, if I could get some help on this one I would appreciate it. I have an elderly aunt in need of a replacement Bissell Prolite. The motor on hers is shot, brushes, everything just shot. I took it into the local guy and he said 90 bucks for a new motor and housing as the motor got so hot it torched the housing. He also suggested a Powr-Flite which is who hold the patent on that design now. She is adamant she wants another Prolite if one can be found as she has a ton of bags etc for this one. If anyone knows of a local dealer or internet presence that has even a used Prolite to be had, I would greatly appreciate it. I found one guy who has a local shop in Nevada but he wants 300 for his "last one" because its a collector's item now. I told him pass. Hope everyone's summer is going well. Still using the Healthy Home vac and still going strong, had to supplement it with a cheap plastivac for downstairs though, UGH... 40 pounds is a lot to lift up and down the basement stairs.
Replies: 26 - 35 of 45Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Bissell Prolite
Reply #26   Jul 20, 2009 8:27 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Don't buy an Oreck XL!! AWFUL and too expensive!

Disagree.  I bought mine and 4 others new for $150 plus shipping and handling.  Now over 2 years old and still going strong.  Same as the others that I gifted away.  They are revered by their users.   ORECK had a stellar year in 2008 and so far this year.  While most vacuum brand sales suffered and fell drastically. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #27   Jul 20, 2009 9:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
If anyone is weak of mind and memory it's you.  As I said many times before, and will repeat again for you, the HOOVER WT is and will always be the gold standard for rug cleaning and grooming.  Bar none, even your dyson DC07.  ORECK is a distant second to HOOVER.  Considering its half the weight, it's a worthy rug and floor contender. 

Carmine D.

I am sure that many others like me wonder why you do not use the gold standard.  Is it because the gold soon turns to gold dust.  Gold dust is brolen gold you know and hoover WT's are very problematic.  I have a memory.  I just do not take advice unless it comes from a worthy source.
HARDSELL

Reply #28   Jul 20, 2009 9:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Disagree.  I bought mine and 4 others new for $150 plus shipping and handling.  Now over 2 years old and still going strong.  Same as the others that I gifted away.  They are revered by their users.   ORECK had a stellar year in 2008 and so far this year.  While most vacuum brand sales suffered and fell drastically. 

Carmine D.

Why did you have to have an Oreck shipped.  You taut all those sales Oreck centers.  Like I have said they are not convenient to anyone outside a major metro area.  No doubt they are going strong s new since they don't perform when new.  Oreck is having a stellar year-----------with drastic price cuts and freebies that are worth more than the vacs.  I bet those vendors supplying the gifts have also had a stellar year.
vacmanuk

Reply #29   Jul 20, 2009 10:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Disagree.  I bought mine and 4 others new for $150 plus shipping and handling.  Now over 2 years old and still going strong.  Same as the others that I gifted away.  They are revered by their users.   ORECK had a stellar year in 2008 and so far this year.  While most vacuum brand sales suffered and fell drastically.  </p><p>Carmine D.

In the UK they sell for £400 and you get the Deluxe canister vac with it (and I find it ironic that you have to buy a separate piece for it just to have wheels on it!). For years my parents suffered their Oreck XL and broke it the first year when they thought they could copy the TV ad and vacuum up the hard birch like mat at the front door. Oreck replaced the motor since it burnt out and was under guarantee so their customer services were fantastic. However I just couldn't put up with it; as soon as my parents gave it to me, I just couldn't wait to get rid of it and replaced it with a UK Hoover Junior before going down the Sebo route.

Infact Carmine, you can read my review about the Oreck XL on Epinions; i'm sure you'll probably disagree with it, but at the same time in the UK although there aren't that many soft bagged uprights left, most buyers have forgone that for the plastic boxed idea since they last longer than broken zips and in the Oreck's case pretty piss poor filtration qualities..

http://www.epinions.com/review/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Vacuum_Cleaners-Oreck_XL2200_Vacuum/content_347381730948
CarmineD

Reply #30   Jul 21, 2009 5:57 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I am sure that many others like me wonder why you do not use the gold standard.  Is it because the gold soon turns to gold dust.  Gold dust is brolen gold you know and hoover WT's are very problematic.  I have a memory.  I just do not take advice unless it comes from a worthy source.

HS:

I traded down to the HOOVER TEMPO, which I use in addition to the ORECK XL Classic.  At 16 pounds and a very close second to the HOOVER WT for rug cleaning and grooming, I prefer it for the price with OBT over the heavier HOOVER WT.  The HOOVER WT was donated to the local Church.  Still going strong at 3 years old plus and daily use by several users.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Jul 21, 2009 6:03 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Why did you have to have an Oreck shipped.  You taut all those sales Oreck centers.  Like I have said they are not convenient to anyone outside a major metro area.  No doubt they are going strong s new since they don't perform when new.  Oreck is having a stellar year-----------with drastic price cuts and freebies that are worth more than the vacs.  I bet those vendors supplying the gifts have also had a stellar year.

There's that poor memory again.  Recall the US Humane Society in concert with ORECK in April 2007 offered customers a special on a solo ORECK Classic at $150 plus shipping.  My dear Wife always liked and wanted an ORECK, so I bought one.  We were both so impressed that I bought 4 more and gifted them away and they are equally pleased.

Since then, ORECK has offered the upright solo for $199 on sale.  Recently ORECK offered the Silver Series for Memorial Day for $199, then extended the sale thru June 30, then offered again for July 4th and thru July 31.  Sometimes the sales are on the internet like for Memorial and July 4th.  Usually the sale extensions are offered thru local ORECK stores on TV and newspaper ads.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #32   Jul 21, 2009 6:14 am
vacmanuk wrote:
In the UK they sell for £400 and you get the Deluxe canister vac with it (and I find it ironic that you have to buy a separate piece for it just to have wheels on it!). For years my parents suffered their Oreck XL and broke it the first year when they thought they could copy the TV ad and vacuum up the hard birch like mat at the front door. Oreck replaced the motor since it burnt out and was under guarantee so their customer services were fantastic. However I just couldn't put up with it; as soon as my parents gave it to me, I just couldn't wait to get rid of it and replaced it with a UK Hoover Junior before going down the Sebo route.

Infact Carmine, you can read my review about the Oreck XL on Epinions; i'm sure you'll probably disagree with it, but at the same time in the UK although there aren't that many soft bagged uprights left, most buyers have forgone that for the plastic boxed idea since they last longer than broken zips and in the Oreck's case pretty piss poor filtration qualities..

http://www.epinions.com/review/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Vacuum_Cleaners-Oreck_XL2200_Vacuum/content_347381730948

ORECK in the USA offers the same giveaways with its uprights.  But with the downturn in the economy, have gone to specials on the upright only.  Both marketing stratgies have been successful for ORECK.

I'll read your review, thanks.  What is the date of it?

ORECK has its faithful followers and satisfied users, of which I am one.  I have often recommended to interested buyers that they shop estate sales where used ORECKS can be bought for $25-$50 rather than buy new and have to get the giveaways.  I was very pleased to see ORECK offer its upright solo starting last year.  It was good timing in a bad market and economy. 

I believe many soft bag uprigts had poor filtration.  However, recent improvements in paper bag technology have corrected the problem.  ORECK is a beneficiary of the industry's advances in filter paper.  My dear Wife has sinus and allergy problems year round.  With an English lab that sheds year round in the heat of the desert climate, she can have severe problems and falre ups.  Not with the ORECK.  We find the basic ORECK paper bag works fine and I have recommended not paying extra for the costlier ORECK paper bags when the basic bag will do just fine.

Carmine D.

Revised:  If you read the post by Tread 184, it makes the same point about the ORECK improvements in paper bags. 

This message was modified Jul 21, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #33   Jul 21, 2009 8:02 am
Hello vacmanuk:

No need on the date.  I see it.  About a month after I purchased my XL Classic. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #34   Jul 21, 2009 8:53 am
I personally and professionally do not know nor am I aware of any bag zippers that have ever gone awry on any ORECK upright vacuums.  I'm not saying that they haven't, I'm saying in over 50 years of the biz I have never seen or heard of any.

The drawback with the plastic enclosed bags is the cardboard bag collar.  These leak and spew dirt when the vacuum is used, bumped, banged, lifted etc.  That dirt gets into the bag compartment, then on the pre motor filter, eventually into the motor compartment and post motor filter and then exhaust air.  I like the staging bag dock on the ORECK's.  Works well to minimize/eliminate bag any fallout of dirt and dust from bag cardboard collar movement.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #35   Jul 21, 2009 8:59 am
BTW, I use my ORECK XL upright weekly to vacuum my garage rugs, patio rug, and front door mat.  I also vacuum the cement walkway to my house and garage apron and floor.  I don't recommend it.  I've picked up pebbles, screws, nails, dead bugs the size of lizards, flowers, leafs, sand you name it.  Also picked up a quarter on one occasion.  ORECK just spit it out.  Used my ORECK like this for over 2 years.  Not a single hic cup out or clog in my ORECK.

Carmine D.

Replies: 26 - 35 of 45Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42